Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why you should ignore Edge's opinions from now on

Perhaps I worded that wrong then, I meant that, yes some aspects were in other games, but Halo perfected them, but those weren't the innovations.

About the the innovations though.
    My questions are still out there to be answered as well. Let's recap.

INNOVATION 1
    In what other game can you modify maps with a group of friends and create an almost infinite amount of possibilities because you can change spawn rates, amount of items on each map, spawn areas, etc (remember, you and all your friends can be doing this at the same time, in the exact same session)?

INNOVATION 2
    In what other game is every kill, every achievement ever won, every type of weapon used for a kill, every death kept and maintained on a website that you can view at your leisure?

INNOVATION 3
    In what other game can you take a screenshot from any of your 30 previously played games and download a high-res version to use to do whatever on your computer?

INNOVATION 4 (ok so it was introduced in halo 2, but perfected in 3.)
    In what other games is there a seemingly perfect party system that allows you to be matched up with others at your same skill level? (I am not saying the matchmaking is perfect, but the party system is spot on)

"Did I become a hero?"

Project: N00b

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Again, polish is not innovation. Nobody's arguing that it doesn't do these things well.
    Okay. Then please answer the following. I'm sure you'll have no trouble, even though you strictly avoided them in your previous post. I'm sure that's just an oversight.

Quote Originally Posted by Magixion View Post
    In what other game can you modify maps with a group of friends and create an almost infinite amount of possibilities because you can change spawn rates, amount of items on each map, spawn areas, etc (remember, you and all your friends can be doing this at the same time, in the exact same session)?
    In what other game is every kill, every achievement ever won, every type of weapon used for a kill, every death kept and maintained on a website that you can view at your leisure?
    In what other game can you take a screenshot from any of your 30 previously played games and download a high-res version to use to do whatever on your computer?
    In what other games is there a seemingly perfect party system that allows you to be matched up with others at your same skill level? (I am not saying the matchmaking is perfect, but the party system is spot on)

Making it mutiplayer is not a big deal. You could do it to a lesser extent in lots of games, but let's just say Half-Life for the hell of it.

Ooh, stat keeping. Taking the numbers that every online game ever has been keeping for years and adding more. What a leap.

Screenshots? Seriously? You're going to try to convince me that screenshots are innovative? How about any game that allows you to save replays?

Try every game that doesn't have skullskullskullskullty matchmaking. Again, doing matchmaking better than other games have been doing for years is not innovative. It's fixing a problem. You might as well say precise controls are innovative, or pretty graphics.

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar
    On one hand I want to say that this is vintage Roto stubbornly "going down with the ship" on an argument he already lost.
    Would you kindly kiss my ass?
    Last edited by Roto13; 08-12-2008 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Shlup knows

Christ, it's like I am getting hit by a semi that keeps reversing and pulling forward over my limp body. Not worth even replying.

But, to keep it fair, I will keep replying.

Tell me this, what did Portal do that was innovative? Create a gun that teleports you? Oh boy, never seen a game with a teleportation gun in it. (*cough*Unreal Tournament 3*cough*) Does this mean Unreal Tournament 3 deserves the Edge award as well?

"Did I become a hero?"

You mean this teleportation gun that works completely differently? The one that just zaps you to wherever you look instead of creating a new pathway for reuse? The one that flings marker on the floor like a frisbee instead of turning a wall or a ceiling into a door? That's pretty cool, but it's not a Portal gun.

You mean this teleportation gun that works completely differently? The one that just zaps you to wherever you look instead of creating a new pathway for reuse? The one that flings marker on the floor like a frisbee instead of turning a wall or a ceiling into a door? That's pretty cool, but it's not a Portal gun.
    Exactly. It is the same concept that Portal improved upon. The -exact- same argument you have been making. So, do I win yet?

"Did I become a hero?"

It's not the same concept, either. The concept behind the portal gun is using a combination of the portals and the physics engine to solve puzzles. The concept behind the UT3 teleportation gun is to get to a better place from which to shoot people. If anything, Portal is made less innovative by it's spiritula predecessor, Narbacular Drop (which, by the way, has it's own community of people who create and share levels), but play both games and you'll see that it's still handled completely differently. It's not just the same thing with a few additions and tweaks.

It's not the same concept, either. The concept behind the portal gun is using a combination of the portals and the physics engine to solve puzzles. The concept behind the UT3 teleportation gun is to get to a better place from which to shoot people. If anything, Portal is made less innovative by it's spiritula predecessor, Narbacular Drop (which, by the way, has it's own community of people who create and share levels), but play both games and you'll see that it's still handled completely differently. It's not just the same thing with a few additions and tweaks.
    ...So basically Portal isn't innovative now? Hah.

(Also, hope you don't think this whole thread is a personal attack, I just call it a heated debate )

"Did I become a hero?"

Portal is still very innovative because it does so much more with the portals and applies them in a brand new way. But it is true that it's not as innovative as a lot of people give it credit for. Though, to be fair, the team that made portal also made Narbacular Drop so it's not like they took what someone else had been doing for years and applied it to their own game.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

INNOVATION 1
    It's been a while since I played it so I don't know if the community has included any of your standard deathmatch fare by now, but seriously, you've NEVER played Garry's Mod have you? It makes Halo 3's map customization and user created content seem like a complete joke in comparison.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

...gaming is at a standstill.
    You're just now realizing this?
    I like Kung-Fu.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Making it mutiplayer is not a big deal. You could do it to a lesser extent in lots of games, but let's just say Half-Life for the hell of it.
    I love how, when presented with something you can't dispute the truth of, you instead attack its importance and significance.

Ooh, stat keeping. Taking the numbers that every online game ever has been keeping for years and adding more. What a leap.
    I guess I can't argue too much with this one, it's true that Halo 3 just does what others have done with far more depth, completeness, and polish than anything else I've ever seen.

Screenshots? Seriously? You're going to try to convince me that screenshots are innovative? How about any game that allows you to save replays?
    On a console? That easily? When the award clearly is specifically for exactly the sort of thing screenshots encourage? Yeah. Also, please do tell me what other games have replay features as good and easy as Halo 3's, because it's an awesome feature and I'm highly interested in checking it out.

Try every game that doesn't have skullskullskullskullty matchmaking. Again, doing matchmaking better than other games have been doing for years is not innovative. It's fixing a problem. You might as well say precise controls are innovative, or pretty graphics.
    Party system, son. Party system.

Also:

On one hand I want to say that this is vintage Roto stubbornly "going down with the ship" on an argument he already lost.
    Ahem:

THE TRUTH HURTS, BIZNATCH!
    Sorry, but he's right. Thread is full of more ignorant failure than anything I've seen in a long time.

But wait, he's not done yet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    ...gaming is at a standstill.
    You're just now realizing this?
    Yeah, when we're arguing about which game of the last year was the most innovative, clearly there's nothing innovative going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    INNOVATION 1
    It's been a while since I played it so I don't know if the community has included any of your standard deathmatch fare by now, but seriously, you've NEVER played Garry's Mod have you? It makes Halo 3's map customization and user created content seem like a complete joke in comparison.
    Please do tell me where I can get Garry's Mod for free, on a console, possessing the sheer effortless ease of use which Halo 3 has both in functionality and sharing. Because that would be awesome.

Blog Entries

Can't we just agree that Halo has some cool things in it that Edge considers innovative and drop it? Sheesh!

Quote Originally Posted by Kentarou View Post
    Can't we just agree that Halo has some cool things in it that Edge considers innovative and drop it? Sheesh!
    If only it were that easy.. Some people just love to create controversy on the most minute of subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22
    Yes, just like Milf said, you must realize that they gave it to Halo 3 because it proves that all this can be done on a -console-! You must not have read the article either. Silly kid.

"Did I become a hero?"

Also:

Ahem:

THE TRUTH HURTS, BIZNATCH!
    I had replies for most of your comments, but if this is the way you're going to behave (taking me defending myself from yet another one of Bolivar's idiotic personal attacks, taking something else that was obviously a joke, and being a complete douchebag with the) then smurf you. Of course the guy who broke into tears at that cheesy Halo 3 commercial is going to defend it to the death. If Edge had given it an award for being the best racing game of the year, you'd be here with just as much fury.

I will say one thing, though. Taking features that have been on PCs for years and applying them to console's is not innovative. The original Xbox was not innovative for having a hard drive. The PS1 was not innovative for having 3D graphics. Halo is not innovative for having decent matchmaking, a level editor, a community that shares their own created content, or anything else.