Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Knight Sequel - SPOILERS

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I was thinking that perhaps Black Mask could work. Given that after Batman Begins a lot of the criminals were out in Gotham again and that the Joker messed around with the hierarchy of various gangs a bit, it wouldn't be too implausible for him to appear. I think he's probably one of the better Batman villains as well.

I'm torn on the issue of the Riddler. I like the character, but I don't really like Johnny Depp that much. Certainly feel that Depp would lend something to the character and I'm unable - off the top of my head - to name a better idea for an actor. I also quite like the sound of Ouch!'s idea for Batman working with the Penguin against the Riddler.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Ouch! just won. In my opinion that is the best idea for the next Batman movie I have heard yet.

One of my coworkers believes that Bane is going to be in the next movie, and that he is going to be the man that was on the criminal boat, (SPOILER)the one who tossed the detonator out the window.

He thinks this becuase was a large man, and one shot showed the scaring on his neck. I think that it is just wishful thinking and he is grasping because he likes Bane. Not any solid evidence, but enough for speculation.
    Oh, did I mention I'm awesome?

I can see the Riddler appearing in the sequel and I would love that. I hated the Riddler in Batman Forever as that was just Jim Carrey being Jim Carrey. I hope the rumors that Johnny Depp will play the Riddler in the sequel are true as he is the most versatile actor in the business and he could probably pull it off.

People like Bane, Mr Freeze and the Penguin are a little ridiculous and probably wouldn't fit in the more realistic tone of the new movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    People like Bane, Mr Freeze and the Penguin are a little ridiculous and probably wouldn't fit in the more realistic tone of the new movies.
    Bane could work if he used steroids instead of Venom...or maybe Venom could be described as inhanced steroids.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ouch! wins, send a copy of that post to Nolan, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Ouch! wins, send a copy of that post to Nolan, imo.
    I agree completely.

Though, lets not forget that we have two rival mafia families in batman. Falcone and Maroni who will be at odds with the shifts in power! The penguin plays best in these spots, much like the club owner in the cursed matrix squeals.

I would almost like to see Dr. Death. Batman's first real villain; Or should I say, the first villain that was worth anything.:mog:

Either way, I say (SPOILER)Two-face is alive. He has to be, dammit. He is only about my favorite villain, Joker aside (especially the new joker) With the mafia powers in chaos, there are only two villains who, above all else, should be there: Twoface and the penguin; possibly the old old old school riddler. The one who has to trump other's crimes with his own, or manifest his riddles into aiding batman.

What if Deadshot and Bane were hired mob assassins gunning for Batman and what if Catwoman teamed with The Dark Knight to even the odds?

The idea of a Batman and Catwoman team up is more intriguing to me than Robin teaming up with Bats...Basically because a Batman and Catwoman team up has never been done before in live-action.

Also if The Black Cat can team up with Spider-Man why can't Catwoman team up with Batman?
    Last edited by The Fat Bioware Nerd; 08-13-2008 at 04:49 PM.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Bane would totally work. You would have to rework the plot so it's not as silly. However his entire premise works only after the Rogue's Gallery has been set up (and we don't have enough Batman movies to do that) as he's supposed to unleash all of Arkham upon Gotham.

Otherwise he's just a tough guy, and it will play out like Batman: TAS where Rupert Thorne hires some punk to beat the Bats.

Quote Originally Posted by Pureghetto View Post
    Bane would totally work. You would have to rework the plot so it's not as silly. However his entire premise works only after the Rogue's Gallery has been set up (and we don't have enough Batman movies to do that) as he's supposed to unleash all of Arkham upon Gotham.

Otherwise he's just a tough guy, and it will play out like Batman: TAS where Rupert Thorne hires some punk to beat the Bats.
    Well I suppose the mobsters could hire Deadshot to kill Batman but didn't the mobsters already do that in Batman: Gotham Knight? I heard Gotham Knight has a loose continuity with Batman Begins.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I would like to see personally Scarface and Catwoman. I heard Angelina Jolie was interested in the part. The riddler seems interesting too. Nolan doesn't like the idea of Penguin so we probably won't be seeing him.
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 08-13-2008 at 09:35 PM.

Deadshot was in Gotham Knight already, I would be surprised if they brought him back.

I would love to see Catwoman (NOT played by Angelina Jolie, wtf is wrong with people). I agree that the Riddler seems like a low-rate Joker, but done right he could be fantastic, and he's probably the most likely choice. A great chance to finally examine those detective skills of Batman.

My personal (read: fanboy) choice would be to see the Ventriloquist/Scarface, but because they're pretty minor, I expect if ANYTHING they'll be a cameo, like Zsasz in Batman Begins.

I'm not familiar with Black Mask, but he sounds cool.

Jellyfish swim by.

Quote Originally Posted by Boney King View Post
    I would love to see Catwoman (NOT played by Angelina Jolie, wtf is wrong with people). I agree that the Riddler seems like a low-rate Joker, but done right he could be fantastic, and he's probably the most likely choice. A great chance to finally examine those detective skills of Batman.
    I agree, no sexy, sassy, well known actress could pull off catwoman. They would need a very, very, special kinda - and I cannot think of any big named actresses that could nail it. Cat woman has a sort of mystique and class that is just whored down by modern big name actresses.

I very much disagree that the riddler is another joker. As an avid and long time fan of batman, I remember the joker being much more menasing and explosively insane. I think Nolan had the closest ideal joker I have seen in a long time. I think too many people look to the animated series joker, when really, they should remember the rand rocket launcher which ... well, sholdn't spoil that for people who go back and read. Either way, the Joker, is an Evil son of a bitch, as has been stated by Gotham's finest. I feel that the other incarnations of the joker really hybrid the Joker into more of the fun loving Riddler.

In short, the joker is demented-evil-clown, the riddler is witty, compulsive, and fun loving in what he does. I think (SPOILER) the guy that finds out Batman's identity in the movie will make a bigger appearance in the next film, and at first, I thought he was going to pop in as a riddler-esque character, just based on his actions and expressions.

Therefore, I really do not see true joker and true riddler as being too similar by any right. Aside form the fact that they thoroughly like what they do, when they do it. I think Nolan's riddler will be the next villain, because I feel that he is trying to bring the batman back to the darkness which it should have shared with its roots.

I agree with your last thought too, about bringing more detective into the mix. So far, the detective side has been following the bond style mystery line and not that of the holmes. That would be a cool critique to take on the third.

Hey would The Mad Hatter work or is he too silly to be Nolan's film?

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    Ever since I heard the rumor regarding the Riddler and the Penguin as the next villains to be featured in Nolan's Batman series--played by Depp and Hoffman, no less--I've thought it's a pretty fantastic idea.

The Riddler is a villain driven primarily by an obsessive compulsion. His core defining trait is that he must leave a clue to his crime beforehand. The reason for this compulsion varies in different visions of his character from the comics, and I'm sure Nolan could find one that would be sufficient and consistent with the theme he's aiming for. As long as the Riddler maintains this compulsion, Nolan's free to make him as dark or twisted as he desires without risking damaging the character. Unlike some other Batman villains, he's fairly malleable in that regard and therefore very conducive to new media.

The Penguin, on the other hand, is a mob boss. I'd expect Nolan to stay away from the Danny DeVito characterization of the Penguin. While some people may think having the Penguin as a mere mob boss would be stale and rehashed, I think they're neglecting another important part of the Penguin's role in the comics. The Penguin, at a point, opens a lounge which is most obviously a mere front for seedier activities. However, Batman gives the lounge a grudging seal of approval. This is because the Penguin serves as an informant on occasion regarding the happenings of Gotham's underground.

Consider Batman's position at the end of the Dark Knight. He's a complete social outcast--a villain as far as most of Gotham is concerned. He can no longer rely on the police to be at his side--they're chasing him. This is the perfect time for the Penguin to show up.

The real brilliance of the combination of the Penguin and the Riddler, however, is how well they compliment one another. The Riddler is defined by an obsessive compulsion which requires him to leave various clues in the form of riddles as to what his next objective is. If Batman cannot rely on police intelligence to solve the riddles, would the Penguin not be an amazing source of information? It would certainly be a reluctant alliance--perhaps a mutually beneficial but mutually hostile symbiotic relationship. The Penguin would provide information to help Batman take down the Riddler--the likely more dangerous and more immediate threat--in exchange for Batman's acceptance of the Penguin's less-than-legal activities.

I think when people dismiss the Penguin they're too quickly dismissing him as merely a mob boss when really Nolan could focus on other aspects of his character to avoid it becoming a rehash of what Batman Begins and The Dark Knight have already exposed. Also, last I checked, the Penguin doesn't actually control birds, he just loves them. Other than that, he's a fairly normal guy (although sometimes he's shown with a sort of waddle as a result of a bad hip, which combined with his pointed nose and love for birds, explains his nickname).
    Someone close this thread since it's over and all after this post.

That's one great post Ouch!, and very interesting.

I'd personally like to see a female villain for the next movie - Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Harley Quin or whatever. I just think it'd be very interesting and create an entirely new dynamic. Also, always had a soft spot for Catwoman and strong female characters in general.