Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VI Remake

Here's my part on the Celes beating thing.

I agree with Acula. It did make the scene much better, it also alluded to RachelxLocke, which a lot of the CelesxLocke relationship mirrors. When Rachel died, she was under lock and key with the empire, so who knows how they killed her, for all Locke may have known they could have beat her to death, so when seeing Celes (Who locke says reminds him of Rachel in the Opera scene thing) he went out in full on hero mode more than he did with Terra. With Terra he was all ">=O EMPIRE SCUM RAAAWR" and had to be talked down, with Celes he was like "MUST SAVE NOW!". In movies, and.. hell even in this game, you could tell that there is an immediate connection between the two (or atleast Locke to Celes and first, and then both later). Insta-love as I like to call it.

I think the fact that Celes and being beaten and Locke saving her did strengthen the love story aspect of CelesxLocke and even RachelxLocke, and I don't know about most people, but Locke's character development and story over all (love part included) is my FAVORITE story in the game.

I would like to see VI remade, preferably for a console, not a handheld. I have never completed FFVI , although I played a version of it (stopped just after Kefka and the Emperor had the crystals), and the main reason why I didn't complete it was because I couldn't handle the graphics.

But, from what I did play of it, the game seemed too epic to be played on a handheld. And, from what I did play of VI, it does have some very dark themes. Maybe it is because dark would not work with SNES, because of its limited capabilities.

Some might think it is a bit silly not to play a game based on graphics, but I am not from the NES/SNES era, so I don't have any nostalgia to that type of look. I could play VII now, even though its graphics are terrible by todays standards, because I am used to it. But the NES/SNES are just too far back for me.

But I would really like VI to be remade. From what I did play, it seemed like a really good game, and I would like to be able to finish it, without being put off by the fact that I can't look at it.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I'd love to see VI (and V, for that matter) follow in the footsteps of the DS remakes of III and IV. I think these were one of the best ideas Squeenix has had as of late.

Oh, and you kids what with your "I can't play pre-PS FF, the graphix are teh sux" . . . ugh!

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Bastian View Post
    I'd love to see VI (and V, for that matter) follow in the footsteps of the DS remakes of III and IV. I think these were one of the best ideas Squeenix has had as of late.

Oh, and you kids what with your "I can't play pre-PS FF, the graphix are teh sux" . . . ugh!
    To be fair, that's a pretty sad version not to play a game. I think FFVI has some fantastic graphics and looks great for a SNES game. There aren't many games that look better than FFVI (CT is of course one of them though).
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Granted I feel not playing a game due to graphics is kinda silly but I also understand the fact that part of the charm is the nostalgia. Seriously, try to finish the game. 2D holds up way better than 3D.

I will get around to it, but I was seriously distracted by GTA4. And I have to play it on my *cough* PC *cough*, and I think the translation could be a bit dodgy.

But I would like VI to be remade with new graphics. Then I would be able to appreciate it, and also compare it to other titles.

And not finishing a game is lame, as I've already admitted it. But graphics do add to a game, especially in term of body language. So, there is some sort of rational reasoning underneath it! Vaguely.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet View Post
    I'm happy with FFVI the way it is, and a remake isn't necessary for me. I think one of the reasons that people are so hopeful for a FFVII remake is the graphics have a large potential for improving. Part of FFVI's charm for me is the colorful, detailed 2D environments and remaking the game with a new graphical style might not look as good as the original.
    Despite the charm, I felt as though it was one of the most mature FFs in the series. Kepp the Celes hazing, keep the maturity, and keep the comic tones, and I think you have the final fantasy that most closely related with proper theater.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by champagne supernova View Post
    And not finishing a game is lame, as I've already admitted it. But graphics do add to a game, especially in term of body language. So, there is some sort of rational reasoning underneath it! Vaguely.
    Body language?
    You arguement is body language!?
    How could you possibly say that FF6 has any less body language then games like FF7 or FF8
    You dissapoint me
    I cant even look you in the eye
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    Body language?
    How could you possibly say that FF6 has any less body language then games like FF7 or FF8
    You dissapoint me
    I cant even look you in the eye
    Best rebuttal ever.

I said it was some vague reasoning, not an argument. It's not even the main reason why I didn't finish it. The main reason was GTA4. And, it is slightly difficult to move yourself back into 2D after the technical beauty of GTA4.

I just don't see the point in remaking VI in 2D. Commercially it would be more successful if it looked awesome. It would have greater critical acclaim if it made the transition to 3D. For them to keep it 2D would be laziness.

And 3D would allow the game to convey the serious undertones of the game in a much more subtle, realistic way. Body language for me does not involve a sprite jumping up & down with exclamation marks around their head.

I'll put it this way. Watch Sin City or 300. Would they have been as good if they were filmed in the traditional manner? The visuals aided the storyline and the themes of the movie. I'm not saying that VI should be done in a similar style, I am just saying that having good visuals aids, rather than detracts, from a game.

Anyway, I am going to try finish VI this week. I have lost the plot a little bit, because it's been a month since I last played, but I'm sure I'll be able to recover. Maybe by the end, I will understand everyone's point.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet View Post
    I'm happy with FFVI the way it is, and a remake isn't necessary for me. I think one of the reasons that people are so hopeful for a FFVII remake is the graphics have a large potential for improving. Part of FFVI's charm for me is the colorful, detailed 2D environments and remaking the game with a new graphical style might not look as good as the original.

It's not necessary, but I think it would be great fun seeing FFVI in a new way. IV was remade, and I thought it was a pleasant surprise, and a blast playing it in a new light after all these years. After seeing was was done with FFIV, I'm really looking forward to them revisiting FFVI. When I first read FFVII was in demand for a remake I had to laugh. VII doesn't need a remake. Give it a remake for it's 20th anniversary, but a game made for Playstation can wait a few years before being remade. Hit the classics up with a new look. I don't think it will take away anything from the old SNES game or new GBA game, it justs allows people to play another version. If people don't like it they sure aren't being forced to play it. I'd love to see it remade just to see what will be done with it. It's all in fun, and it could turn out great.

I'll put it this way. Watch Sin City or 300. Would they have been as good if they were filmed in the traditional manner? The visuals aided the storyline and the themes of the movie. I'm not saying that VI should be done in a similar style, I am just saying that having good visuals aids, rather than detracts, from a game.
    For the most part, I completely forget that there is a story line in BOTH those movies BECAUSE of the visuals.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Even with that argument, who's to say that redoing the graphics in 3D would be the best way to redo them? What about higher resolution, hand drawn 2D sprites? What about various other options. Frankly, I'm not all the impressed with the 3D that was used in the FFIII and IV remakes. It all seems pretty bland to me. Just your standard 3D presentation.

Disclaimer: just in case anyone would feel like arguing with my take on the 3D in the remakes, I will say right now I haven't played them because my fiancee only got a DS the day before I left home (about a month ago). I will be playing them when I get back and would be happy to change my opinion if they look better than what I've seen in screenshots and videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Even with that argument, who's to say that redoing the graphics in 3D would be the best way to redo them? What about higher resolution, hand drawn 2D sprites? What about various other options. Frankly, I'm not all the impressed with the 3D that was used in the FFIII and IV remakes. It all seems pretty bland to me. Just your standard 3D presentation.

Disclaimer: just in case anyone would feel like arguing with my take on the 3D in the remakes, I will say right now I haven't played them because my fiancee only got a DS the day before I left home (about a month ago). I will be playing them when I get back and would be happy to change my opinion if they look better than what I've seen in screenshots and videos.
    I agree with the "standard 3D presentation". Other than the CGI intros that are HORRIBLELY beautiful, the regular game parts just look N64 generation. Nothing near to the par of consoles, great for a handheld, but nothing that would be a swaying point for me to want to buy a remake. If it was like a PS3 remake, I -WOULD- let the graphics aspect sway me, but DS graphics, not so much.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    Body language?
    Probably because you couldn't even post 5 examples without reusing one (well, there's the wink...)

FFIV really impressed me alot, it's actually cool to see SE progressing with its skills on the DS. Showing the improvement over III which it had (and I thought IIIDS was a pretty good game) it really makes you think the best is yet to come.

So maybe a DS remake could do it justice. But that's not to say the game needs one. FFVI does have good graphics, just because it's not 3d, it doesn't mean it's bad. Not to mention a musical score that still goes pound for pound with a lot of games today. But I will say that compared to some 16-bit era games, the visuals weren't necessarily stellar for their time, and I could understand how it might get in the way of someone enjoying the game (champagne supernova).

The only two problems I see stopping it are the development team and length. I could get pretty much everything in the original IV in less than 20 hours, but to get about everything in VI takes me on average 35. Also, all of the key developers for the original have all been busy making new games for...like 15 years now. III and IV DS have been the pet projects of Tanaka because he directed those games, for VI I would imagine Yoshinori Kitase, Hideo Minaba, T2 and Tetsuya Nomura would all have to be on board.