Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

Thread: Final Fantasy VI Remake

Quote Originally Posted by dunit697 View Post
    I talked to Nobuo
    You are my new hero for the life.

I have mixed feelings about a VI remake. I didn't really like the IV remake. It felt empty at times and the style of the game wasn't my cup of tea at all. I'd really like to see an Amano style of artwork though. That would be cool. In fact, if they can make the game in the style of FF IX, that would be nice. A tribute to the old game and a move forward graphically and sound wise.

I have mixed feelings about a VI remake. I didn't really like the IV remake. It felt empty at times and the style of the game wasn't my cup of tea at all. I'd really like to see an Amano style of artwork though. That would be cool. In fact, if they can make the game in the style of FF IX, that would be nice. A tribute to the old game and a move forward graphically and sound wise.
    I feel like all FF's, both remakes and new games, should have the style of IX.

Really surprised the game isn't already being made. Hopefully something will be announced this decade.

Hi there I've collected some comments from this thread and here's my perspectives:

Flying Mullet said:

"I'm happy with FFVI the way it is, and a remake isn't necessary for me. I think one of the reasons that people are so hopeful for a FFVII remake is the graphics have a large potential for improving. Part of FFVI's charm for me is the colorful, detailed 2D environments and remaking the game with a new graphical style might not look as good as the original."

I agree with you, and I'll raise you. What I think we'd all love is for the graphical engine to reproduce the quality and detail of Amano's original artwork. They managed 2-D cell animation pretty dang well with War Of The Lions for PSP. The next step is getting a playable game engine to look like that, and still retain the look of hand-drawn animation.

Comet
    "FF VI is quite comical, and I think making it realistic would destroy the game's feel."

That's a vaild concern. They can't suck out the sense of humor in the process of upgrading the visuals. Part of what makes this game stand out is that it's got a sense of humor. Again, maintaining the look of hand-drawn characters in the graphic engine should be focused on preserving the sense of humor in the game's presentation.

Justy
    "With a remake there'd be voice acting and 3D rendering."

I agree with your first premise and not your second. I don't think 3D rendering is going to produce the kind of effect that a hand-drawn look is. Of course, that kind of industry-bucking attitude would be very hard to maintain for the suits who want to know how you're going to pay for it, dangit, but this is all wild mass guessing anyhoo.

And on the subject of voice, they would need to hire an English-speaking director to supervise the English script recordings...this worked for Metal Gear Solid. Kris Zimmerman turned in a well-acted final product, even if what was on the page was a bit narmy (IMHO).

Dr. Acula
    "But if they do make a remake, I want them to change the part where you get Celes, so that the soldiers beat her like in the SNES version. It made the scene much better, IMO."

This is another good point. The mood of Final Fantasy 6, if carried into a realistic depiction like the one we're waxing on about here, would be

T E R R I F Y I N G.

We're talking about some seriously darker and edgier stuff here. People getting beaten. Biological warfare. Starvation. Suicide. Monster Clowns. This would be a surreal pairing of comedy and tragedy, something that requires subtlety in a director.

Wolf Kanno
    "Granted I feel not playing a game due to graphics is kinda silly but I also understand the fact that part of the charm is the nostalgia. Seriously, try to finish the game. 2D holds up way better than 3D"

I don't think it's silly, I think it's what drives innovation in this industry. The trick is, everyone right now is going for a smoother look. Final Fantasy Tactics War Of The Lions' 2-D animated cutscenes were not smooth. They were like animated rough pencil-drawings. If they can craft a graphics engine that can do that with playable characters, that'd be some trick indeed, woudln't it? I'd play that. Would you?

Tevious
    "The problem with jumping to a current gen console is the production costs. Let's face it, as cool as it would be to have SE go full out and remake the classic FFs on the PS3, they're highly unlikely to do it. They'll want a quick buck, so they'll put the remakes on a handheld because it won't cost them much to do it, it'll still sell, and they can even contract it out to another developer so they can continue with the series instead of revisiting old ones. Although, its plausible that they could do it on the Wii."

And someone comes up with a perfectly good question: where's the money gonna come from? One has to wonder how well Square Enix is doing these days...they don't really have much in the way of innovation anymore. They'd have to figure out how to push the current hardware or perhaps this could be a way for them to break into the PC market. I understand the previous statement might be considered ridiculous by lots of people, but if we're wild mass guessing, we're wild mass guessing.

The scope of this game is epic. They'd have real bragging rights if they managed to modernize the story. I don't think the gameplay needs much changing, though the GBA remake's extras certainly couldn't hurt to include. The key factors here are graphical presentation and another little thing I'd like to bring up called SPEED.

SNES Final Fantasy 6 is a jittery little caffeinated SOB. It's FAST. The character's attack animations take one second, and the monsters don't have attack animations other than a half-second flash. Even the summons are relatively quick, seeming to have a cap of about four seconds (rough guess). The temptation that Squaresoft, back in the days of their first PSX game development phase, gave in to was to sacrifice that speed for graphical detail. Now, the shoe is on the other foot. Trying to make something that looks like an animated, controllable pencil drawing animate fast and responsive to player input has got to be high on the list of programmer nightmares. But then again, all it takes is money and time.

If they could pull it off, though...they'd have super bragging rights for being THE enthusiast's game developer.
    Last edited by Spooniest; 04-26-2011 at 02:34 AM.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

I personally think that the art style I would most like to see a remake in is like that of Breath of Fire IV:

Still a charming hand drawn look but decent enough to convey the story and summons (like the dragon system) I think (probably because of my fondness of BoFIV) that this game would be a great game to play in that art style and could easily be handled on DS or PSP and I don't see a reason they should limit the field to on handheld console.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would have to agree, but then again I also love BoFIV.

I feel a 2D/semi 3D would work okay, technically, using the Dissidia/Crisis Core engine would work pretty well. I'm more concerned about VA work cause frankly I'm not impressed with Terra and Kefka's English VA work overall. Then again Cecil's VA did an upstanding job in IVDS yet his performance in Dissidia was a bit weak as well but it might be th cheesy dialogue.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I disagree with most of what people are saying about the art, I want a realistic look mixed with the art style from that game with the orange wolf. Imagine the WoR will a fully explorable 3d map with the glow of magic in the air. or maybe a kindgom heartsy feel
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen