Thread: Tropic Thunder

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Default Tropic Thunder

Initially, I thought the trailer looked terrible. However, while they certainly don't have perfect track records, I had faith that Robert Downey Jr., Jack Black, and Ben Stiller couldn't possibly all decide to do a movie together if it was that bad. I didn't realize, of course, that the movie's cast didn't stop there. I was surprised when Matthew McConaughey and Tom Cruise showed up. I was surprised even more that Tom Cruise was smurfing awesome (and I dislike him so much that I usually can't look past Tom Cruise to the character).

I think Tropic Thunder did something that most movies of its kind fail to do properly. It never took itself seriously. I think the premise aided this. The actors were playing actors whose characters were ridiculous and overblown. This whole movie was ridiculous and overblown. Usually this descends into stupidity and fail, but for some reason... Tropic Thunder succeeded. I'm not quite sure what exactly made it so awesome, but I don't think I've laughed so hard and so often in a movie in my life. I can't think of a single joke in the movie that I didn't think was worthy of a laugh, no matter how stupid (or sometimes admittedly lame) it was. Somehow, they always managed to pull it off.

Opinions?

I thought Jack Black was consistently pretty funny. Other than that I was basically tired of the movie after about half an hour in. Not terrible but I didn't think it was anything special.

Just the fact that Robert Downey Jr plays a black man in this makes me wanna see it. On the bonus side Jack Black and Ben Stiller are both great too, so I'll definitely see this movie at some point.

It was ok but tbh I only laughed when Tom Cruise did his lines.

I enjoyed the movie. I did not, however, enjoy the other people in the theater. I had two people on either side of me laughing hysterically at everything in the movie, even the parts that weren't that funny.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I enjoyed the movie. I did not, however, enjoy the other people in the theater. I had two people on either side of me laughing hysterically at everything in the movie, even the parts that weren't that funny.
    Me and my friends enjoy doing that at completely serious movies

I loved it, imo it is one of the funniest moives I have seen in quite some time.
    Oh, did I mention I'm awesome?

Man, first Iron Man and now this.

Robert Downey Jr. is back!
    What I've been listening to:

Quote Originally Posted by El Bandito View Post

You're forgetting Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. I hear he was also very good in Charlie Bartlett.

You're forgetting Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. I hear he was also very good in Charlie Bartlett.
    Charlie Bartlett was a great movie, and he did very well in it... though he played an alcoholic...

As for this movie. It was alright but nothing spectacular. I found Pineapple Express to be much funnier than this movie. It had it's moments though.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post
    As for this movie. It was alright but nothing spectacular. I found Pineapple Express to be much funnier than this movie. It had it's moments though.
    I saw the two back-to-back today (preceded by The Dark Knight and Wall-E, there's not much else to do when everyone is freaking out about a tropical storm), and I found that Pineapple Express disappointed me. It was an entire movie about pot jokes bookended by gratuitous violence. Struck me as something that tried way too hard. That's not to say it lacked in its funny moments (it had its fair share), but the jokes ran thin about half way through.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post
    I saw the two back-to-back today (preceded by The Dark Knight and Wall-E, there's not much else to do when everyone is freaking out about a tropical storm), and I found that Pineapple Express disappointed me. It was an entire movie about pot jokes bookended by gratuitous violence. Struck me as something that tried way too hard. That's not to say it lacked in its funny moments (it had its fair share), but the jokes ran thin about half way through.
    I felt the humor was more realistic, as in it applied to the situation and I could see it as things people I know would say at that point in time.

Tropic Thunder was all blatantly purposefully scripted set up humor... and I tend to not like that as much as in the moment humor. Granted their both movies and scripted, but there was a very different feel in the humor between the two movies.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Oh, I didn't forget those. He was also very good in A Scanner Darkly and Zodiac if we're mentioning his films of late. As good as those roles were, they weren't nearly the box office draws that these last two were.

So while his comeback has been going on successfully for a while now, I'm saying he's just now finally breaking into the mainstream consciousness again.
    What I've been listening to:

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Danielle and I are quite keen on seeing this one, it looks like a good laugh. We hadn't heard a thing about it until the trailer came up the other week when we were watching Batman Begins.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Lol the three amigos with the token black guy to fit our new millenium tastes.