Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BLARG I am lonely

Default BLARG I am lonely

ooo
    Last edited by Ko Ko; 03-15-2009 at 09:59 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Imaginary friends are rad nowadays.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I've been in Edinburgh for six years and have yet to meet anyone in Edinburgh that I'm keen on hanging out with outside of work. I mean, I love my work colleagues but they have little to talk about with me. The only people that are into anything I enjoy happen to be over 40 and that's not really my cup of tea, I prefer hanging out with those closer to my age or younger.

So I guess I'm more posting to relate rather than help. But I'm sure if you meet some like-minded people at work or something then you'll be fine. Otherwise, do what I do: Bring cool people from outside of town to your place. I got my girlfriend and a couple of extremely close friends that way, unfortunately only one of them moved in but fortunately it was the one that mattered most.

All the best, and I'm sure things will improve. But you're right, it is very dull when you have that kind of quick change. =x Lucky you're in New York, I think there are a fair few nice EoFFers from there that wouldn't mind meeting up.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

The thing with New Yorkers is that we're a very fast paced people, so we often don't take the time to sit down and talk to everyone we meet, since we're going from one thing to the next. That doesn't mean we're not friendly though! My suggestion? Go to parks, go to coffee shops, and do things, make connections.

I know "take up a hobby" is extremely cliche, but you make the best friend connections through that. Try a dance class or a singing class or something!

I am very happy for you. I sure wish I was going to college in the city. I'm going to be in the middle of Rhode Island, barf. Also, I've never really connected super well with anyone around in my town. They're just really weird here, I don't like them. ;o

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm planning to move to San Francisco next year, and aside from my boyfriend, I don't really know anyone else up there. So I plan on doing a crapload of activities just to meet people. It's extra hard being out of school and not having that school environment to foster friendships. It's like... I'm gonna be out in the REAL world, and I don't know how people make friends in the real world! Plus, except when I am working with clients or the odd occasions when I work with a fellow photographer, most of the time I'm on my own. I actually contemplated hiring someone as an assistant just so I would have someone to talk to during the day. Is that too desperate?

So far, I've decided on taking dance classes, yoga classes, cooking classes, and joining this social activity club called "Urban Diversion". They do stuff like movie nights, white water rafting trips, dodgeball in the park, etc. I know that there are Yelp users in San Francisco who plan trips to restaurants, so I'm looking into that as well. Seriously, I'm very dedicated to the activity of finding new friends once I move.

Being friendless in a new environment is a really scary idea for me. And I know I would hate myself if I sat on my ass and wasn't proactive in searching out and getting to know new people.

The way I've met some of my best friends has been through some sort of activity, and so I figure that's the best way to start in a new environment. It guarantees that right from the beginning you'll have something in common. So if there are things you're interested in, try looking into classes or clubs for those things. And I'm sure New York has it's own version of social activity clubs like San Francisco does.

Oh! I know! New York has Improv Everywhere! Holy crap, I'm so excited for you. If there was a similar thing in California I would be all over it. I would absolutely look into joining one of their mission if at all possible. You get to meet new people and engage in some wildly funny flash mob/public displays of craziness.

Edit: Oh my goodness I just found an equivalent in San Francisco AND LA. I'm so happy right now! *looks into the SF Zombie Mob event*

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Statistically we make our friends from school or work. Try that.

I managed to make friends this way. This is very specific:

- EoFF Toronto Meetup: met Ashley/Chemical
    - moved in with Ashley/Chemical after occasional period hanging out with her
    - Ashley makes friends at rock climbing one day while I was around. We are all introduced to each other
    - Viola, I have friends

I think this would work and youll get friends in no time

you go over some people and say:Hi, Im christian!

Love is equal to suffering

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

I stuck to the same group of best friends for my whole time at high school, and now that we're all going different colleges it's going to be so weird for me. A few of my friends are going the same college as me but are doing completely different subjects, so I'm pretty much on my own. I'm going to have to make new friends which will be hard for me as I'm really shy

Activities are a really a good idea, I'll probably try that myself xD I always find it hard differentiating between friends and associates, I call my group of best buds my "friends" so everyone else is an "associate" which is probably my problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Ko Ko View Post
    So I finally move into my new apartment in Brooklyn last week, and I realise I know NO ONE. New York is a big city and all, and there's people everywhere, but I have succeeded in making no contact whatsoever. It's so incredible dull.

So how do you meet new people? Or don't you? Do you have lots of freinds or happy with being loner?

Give me some tip. ; _ ;
    I am in about the same boat. Just moved to the other side of our metropolitan area. :/ I have no advice though.

I used to have a ton of friends and lived very carefree. This last year and a half to two years have been extremely rough, and I have come out of it all very introverted, and fine on my own. Happiness is no longer the goal, productivity is. New people warm up quickly, but I am usually quick to shrug them off.

Make random comments/jokes around strangers.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

I'm sure at first everything seems worse, but I believe if you just give it time, you will probably see that contact with people is an opportunity given anywhere & everywhere in such a big city. I just visited my cousin who started a new job out there recently & she knew no one at the start, but she gradually made friends through her job.

Anyways, all the best. You'll be more than fine.

Str8 Pimpin'

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I just befriend friends of other friends.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Pretty much made all my friends either through other friends, school, college or work.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

IMPROV EVERYWHERE IS FREAKING AWESOME. You're set, KoKo!

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm brilliant with people IRL. I'm quite a friendly and forward person, sometimes overly so, which can have a bad effect. People can get freaked out by me, but that's OK. In the real world I can tell when they're all O_O and I just tone it down and explain myself. Buggers right up over internet though, haha. I'm a Marmite man. You either love me or you hate me. xD