Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is this game better than Final Fantasy XII?

Default Is this game better than Final Fantasy XII?

I think it is because the leveling up system in Final Fantasy IX is simple where as the leveling up system in Final Fantasy XII is complicated in my opinion.

In my opinion? Yes. IX was like a "THANK GOD!" to me when it came out, because it returned to the roots of the series. It's one of my favorites, which is contradictory to the fact that I've never completed it.

XII on the other hand is my least favorite in the series. Square-Enix tried something new, and I thought it was terrible.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I really like both IX and XII, but I most certainly prefer IX.

I didn't find the levelling up complicated in XII at all. Certainly no more difficult to get to grips with than any of the other games. You gain EXP to level up your characters, and you earn the equivalent of AP to spend on learning abilities and augmenting your characters. I'm an idiot, but I managed both systems just fine!
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

IX is perfect XII is good. The only problem I had with XII was the pacing of the story. It has the best combat out the entire series though.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I didn't find the leveling up complicated in XII at all.
    Well that's you and I'm not like you Heath I didn't understand why I needed a god damn license to equip my smurfing armor. That licensing system was complicated and annoying in my humble opinion.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by John_912 View Post
    Well that's you and I'm not like you Heath I didn't understand why I needed a god damn license to equip my smurfing armor. That licensing system was complicated and annoying in my humble opinion.
    It was more about gameplay pacing and a bit about customization depending on your play style. Though you could spend your hard earned AP on Genji Armor or Diamond Armor the idea you might not acquire some till a future time meant you were more likely to spend on lower level equipment.

Another point is that buying one type of armor license unlocks more of that armor type so for a good way in your character is restricted to using heavy armor or magic armor and cannot use the other types. This gave players the ability to build custom job classes for their party.

The other reason for the system, one of the writers on the development team said part of the reason for the license boards construction (the one where you can't wear certain equipment without the license) was suppose to represent the Archadian's oppression of the people... Course like most people, I feel this info would have served better use had it been stated in the game rather than a random interview. :rolleyes2

Overall, I enjoy both games. I have issues with XII's pacing and IX has some unforgivable story flaws imo but overall, I enjoy both games immensely and they are close to my top games in the series.

IX and XII are both very good games(and they're also 2 out of my 5 favorite FFs). However, if I was forced to pick one, it would be IX. I liked that at that point the series returned to its original roots with it medieval setting, set job classes, etc. And I liked how you learn abilities by equipping equipment. Plus, this game had lots of references to other FF games, which I liked very much.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Blog Entries

Default this is just my opinion

FF9 was better then ff12. Excalibur II = Zodiak spear.... I had many regrets.
    Last edited by Saber; 08-22-2008 at 07:41 PM.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

I didn't understand how I could equip a crappy staff and have access to incredibly powerful spells!

Okay, I did understand, but still, the same can be said about most FF games.
    The system wasn't complicated at all. You spend points, you gain access to spells and armour. Very much like X, but you don't need to buy the spells in X.

Anyway, personally, I like both games and I wouldn't say either is better. They both have qualities and flaws that make me like and somewhat dislike them.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Even if XII was impossibly amazing, Quina wins it for IX.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I suppose in a way, the game could've done with some in-game tutorials or something, couldn't it?

Hang on...
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

How can you compare 9 and 12...

12 is a good game, just not when it's compared to the other FF's.

Comparing the two would be an insult to ffix.

XII has better gameplay, but IX is better in every other respect. Ergo, XII is a great game but FFIX is the best game ever.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I liked FFXII better

FFIX was pretty good, just didn't like it as much.