Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sequels!!!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pink Grin Sequels!!!

No, this is not another thread about "what game needs a sequel?". Rather its a thread about games series with good sequels!

I was thinking to myself about Chrono Cross. Though not a traditional sequel, I felt the game was quite amazing and not only expanded the Chrono mythos but actually made the original game deeper in terms of story and characters. For these reasons, I really do feel CC is a pretty damn good sequel

So what other games series have had awe-inspiring sequels that make the whole series shine?

Kingdom Hearts
    Final Fantasy 1

Now that those are out of the way I've personally never played MGS but I hear they are good and the sequels make them better.

Both the Suikoden and Breath of Fire series' have managed to maintain decent track records for sequels, despite having some flaws here and there. The Wild ARMs series is also rather pleasant and has an interesting history behind the games, I enjoyed the change from a fantasy setting to a western-based one.

I believe the second SaGa Frontier game outshines the first by a longshot, or it could be the other way around, I'm not sure as I haven't completed either. Just heard some things.

Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Mega Man, Prince of Persia, Golden Sun, etc..

I think a LOT of games are better than their prequels, if only because the second time, developers have a better idea of what works.

Direct sequels, or any sequel?

If we're talking about the greatest "number 2" ever, I might have to give it to Mega Man 2. Although, that's purely off the top of my head.

If you're talking any sequels, the list is far to great to even know where to start. I would say that the sequels that truly improved upon the franchise and took them into a whole new direction of awesome would be: A Link to the Past, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy IV, Resident Evil 4, Persona 3, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and probably a lot more I'm forgetting at the moment.

Pshaw... I always thought MGS3 was better than MGS (MGS2 sadly comes in third despite still being a really good game)

Silent Hill 2,Resident Evil 2 and Tomb Raider 2 are some of my favourites.
    I like these games much more than the originals.

Diablo 2 improved on many aspects of the original, and it's still a nice game to play. Out of many hack'n'slash games this one is definitely close to the top.

Fallout 2 improved an already good original and expanded the series into a truly fantastic experience where everything 'clicked' the right way. It's truly a gem of a role-playing game.

Seiken Densetsu 3 beat Secret of Mana in terms of pretty much everything. The great gameplay, story, characters, music, graphics and the overall feel still make it feel fresh after all these years.

Settlers 3 was also quite good, and I enjoyed the bold direction it took from the previous Settlers games. I like the weird sense of humour that the game has, and it's still a very relaxing game to play.

TIE Fighter was a superior sequel to X-Wing in every way (and it doesn't hurt that you get to play as the villains this time around), and X-Wing: Alliance managed to take the series even higher in terms of quality.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

When it comes to game sequels There are so many its hard to say which one is the best. I have Mine and they are MGS2, Mega Man 2 (Loved the music for the stages in that game), Resident Evil 2, Super Mario Bros. 4, Final Fantasy VI, Tekken 2, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Super Castlevania. Again There are so many to chose from its hard to say what is the top of the crop.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Final Fantasy, Mario, Zelda, Tekken, MGS, I could make this list go on forever though.

The best sequels out there in my opinion that i have played are Metal Gear Solid 3, FFIX, Super Mario Bros 3 and Galaxy, and The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask.

Too many to mention. But Ill give the nod to Phantasy Star II which outdid the original in almost every way.

Oh and Street Fighter II was a huge step up from Street Fighter. It literally went from absolute skullskullskullskull to one of the greatest fighters of all time. Quite a big leap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Oh and Street Fighter II was a huge step up from Street Fighter. It literally went from absolute skullskullskullskull to one of the greatest fighters of all time. Quite a big leap.
    It's true. They even left Street Fighter 1 out of the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection. xP

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Heh, you ain't kidding. I remember I once found a Street Fighter cabinet in an arcade somewhere and it was so bad I haflway assumed it was some cheap copy.

Anyway, good sequels! Bun Bun's right about Suikoden and BoF, for a start. Resident Evil 2 is way better than the first. And 4 is a big change, but the apex of the series. Diablo 2 is right. Syndicate Wars is far better than the original Syndicate. Turok 2 was WAY better than the first. But then... yeah.

Master of Orion reportedly has one of the best games of the genre as a sequel, but I can't speak from experience. I can say that, at least until Revolutions, each Civilization built on the previous ones. Command and Conquer spawned a whole legion of mostly awesome sequels and spinoffs. Soul Calibur much?

I could go on. But I think the ease that I created that list with demonstrates that many sequels can be glorious things.

Quote Originally Posted by Kossage View Post
    X-Wing: Alliance managed to take the series even higher in terms of quality.
    Agreed on THAT one. It STILL looks amazing, plus with anti-aliasing . I still have it sitting around somewhere and even get the urge to play it from time-to-time. If only my steering wheel wasn't in the way to hook up the joystick, cuz i'm getting the urge to play it again now.
    FFX-2 FMV's Upscaled and Filtered to 720p (link fixed)

The games I've beaten...

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | X-2 | XII

The Elder Scrolls. The games just keep getting better in that series.
    My personal blog - Awareness and Geekiness.

Zanshaa Docks - a brand new geek forum, up and running!

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?