Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Square Enix Plans To Take Over Tecmo.

Wow, now the poll on GameFAQs is "What would you like to see come out of this merger?"

Currently winning is "Cloud Strife and Ryu Hayabusa battling to the death" and right behind it is "Final Fantasy Xtreme Beach Volleyball".

In terms of gamers' tastes, the bar just got lowered, baby! Thank god that's only hypothetical.

You think so, huh?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    Wow, now the poll on GameFAQs is "What would you like to see come out of this merger?"

Currently winning is "Cloud Strife and Ryu Hayabusa battling to the death" and right behind it is "Final Fantasy Xtreme Beach Volleyball".

In terms of gamers' tastes, the bar just got lowered, baby! Thank god that's only hypothetical.
    Thank you, Thank you so much for reminding me why I don't bother going to their forums...

I'm with a few people on the notion that I really cannot see what SE gets out of this merger besides the rights to a few decent franchises. I guess I'm bias cause I never thought highly of DOA and I never cared for Ninja Gaiden or Tecmo Bowl.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

For all we know they might not continue any of those franchises but start something fresh. Maybe...

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I'm with a few people on the notion that I really cannot see what SE gets out of this merger besides the rights to a few decent franchises.
    Dude, that's the point! These days, if a merger results in at least 1 decent franchise, that's a win for the larger company.

I think it could be good. When Squaresoft took over Quest, they only went on to make better games than the Ogre Battle series (My opinion! OB fans don't hate!), including one of my favorite RPG's of all time (Final Fantasy Tactics), culminating with Final Fantasy XII.

Tecmo bowl was the ish back in the dizzay. I'd be more interested in Monster Rancher, though. 100%. I skipped 4, and didn't bother with the GBA/DS games, but a new Monster Rancher 5, under the Square-Enix umbrella, I'd be all over that. In a minute.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I'm with a few people on the notion that I really cannot see what SE gets out of this merger besides the rights to a few decent franchises.
    Dude, that's the point! These days, if a merger results in at least 1 decent franchise, that's a win for the larger company.

I think it could be good. When Squaresoft took over Quest, they only went on to make better games than the Ogre Battle series (My opinion! OB fans don't hate!), including one of my favorite RPG's of all time (Final Fantasy Tactics), culminating with Final Fantasy XII.

Tecmo bowl was the ish back in the dizzay. I'd be more interested in Monster Rancher, though. 100%. I skipped 4, and didn't bother with the GBA/DS games, but a new Monster Rancher 5, under the Square-Enix umbrella, I'd be all over that. In a minute.
    I guess I'm a bit bias cause I never cared for any of Tecmo's games to be honest. Granted I have never touched a Monster Rancher title so it could change down the road. It just doesn't seem like a good deal with Team Ninja partly gone. Its not like SE is known for fighting games, action games, or dare I say it? Volleyball titles.

I am curious to see if we'll get more out of this. I can't say I'm terribly impressed with the results of the Namco Bandai merger, especially when the titles I really wanted to play stayed Japanese exclusives.

Here comes Final Rancher and Monster Fantasy

Well, we never got Final Dragon Fantasy Quest XXX Monsters Tower.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Well, we never got Final Dragon Fantasy Quest XXX Monsters Tower.
    Oh its coming Roto. Right after the third sequel to FFI which finally has the Light Warriors break from the time loop but cast into a parallel world that looks something like VI's world but its actually the future that Ultemacia is from but also the past before the events of FFII take place... Oh and FFVII-7

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

o.o

Breaking: Tecmo Rejects Square Enix's Takeover Offer
    Dead Dynasty Ninja Warriors Gaiden

I never thought that Tecmo will refuse Squares offer...i'm not a fan of their games but they sure gained some respect,at least from me.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

That's like rejecting a job from Donald Trump because the grocery store around the corner asked first.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Pretty silly imo...

Tecmo and Koei? Hmmm.

EDIT: Actually it makes sense. SE offered a takeover whereas Koei offered a merger. If SE took over Tecmo the franchises would likely have gone under the table, with Tecmo being used for new programmers/designers etc. With Koei it kind of makes more sense.
    Last edited by Croyles; 09-04-2008 at 01:39 PM.

I actually think merging with Koei is a great idea from Tecmo. If Tecmo were taken over by Square Enix their name would be forgotten and all their franchises would soon be seen as Square Enix franchises. Merging with Koei means they can keep their name out there and slowly start to become a juggernaut similar to Square Enix. Although they would need to start working on some new franchises that can appeal outside a niche audience which all their franchises at the moment aren't doing.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

The only thing I ever liked about Tecmo was the pure battle system in Ninja Gaiden, everything else from Tecmo and even everything else in Ninja Gaiden was, to me, a big pile of steaming Brad Pitts.

Hoping for some new franchises!