Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Square Enix Plans To Take Over Tecmo.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Post Square Enix Plans To Take Over Tecmo.

Today at 1pm Japan Time, Square Enix will be outlining its plans for a friendly takeover troubled game maker Tecmo. Square Enix's takeover would help the company gain a stronger foothold in the U.S. market with popular Tecmo titles like the Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive games. What's more, Tecmo's games will help strengthen Square Enix's current portfolio, which is heavily dependent on RPGs.

This isn't the first time Square Enix has moved in on a beleaguered company. In August 2005, Square Enix acquired Taito and wholly owned the company as a subsidiary by September 2005.
    Breaking: Square Enix Plans To Take Over Tecmo

Huh, that is very strange... Ninja Gaiden RPG? Is Itagaki gonna hassle SE for his bonus pay?

Itagaki will probably try to sue SE for something, and then drunkenly break into their office when he loses the case.

Will all future Final Fantasy game characters have insanely huge boobs?
    Discuss.

"You still owe me my bonus! And skin cream!"
    Last edited by Croyles; 08-29-2008 at 04:13 AM.

Ita supposedly left Tecmo anyway and took a good percent of Team Ninja with him. So I think this is good. Tecmo has trouble standing without him. So I guess his rockstar attitude is warranted but was apparently unwelcome. Maybe Square can give them the guidance they need without him. I think its good for both companies. Square can now make a quality fighting game for once. And Tecmo can focus on more than just pretty and fast

I guess Dead Fantasy wont be "Fantasy" for long.

On another note (but because you mentioned him) here's what Itagaki responded to PlatinumGames' Hideki Kamiya's claim that no one has improved 3D action games since DevilMayCry:
    "Was he asleep for 8 years?...There are 2 types of people out there who like to make controversial,splashy comments.There are those who are truly outspoken,and there are those who are just trying to cover up for their weaknesses.We have a saying here in Japan-'The weaker dogs bark more'-and i sincerely like to remind him to make sure to stay awake for the next years."

This was in the last issue of Edge,and personally i also found Kamiya's statement quite arrogant.Not very typical for a Japanese.But Itagaki isn't a typical Japanese also.
    But anyway,sorry for the off-topic insertion.

Excellent, maybe we'll see a remake of Secret Of The Stars that won't be as awful ^____^

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Nifleheim7 View Post
    I guess Dead Fantasy wont be "Fantasy" for long.

On another note (but because you mentioned him) here's what Itagaki responded to PlatinumGames' Hideki Kamiya's claim that no one has improved 3D action games since DevilMayCry:
    "Was he asleep for 8 years?...There are 2 types of people out there who like to make controversial,splashy comments.There are those who are truly outspoken,and there are those who are just trying to cover up for their weaknesses.We have a saying here in Japan-'The weaker dogs bark more'-and i sincerely like to remind him to make sure to stay awake for the next years."

This was in the last issue of Edge,and personally i also found Kamiya's statement quite arrogant.Not very typical for a Japanese.But Itagaki isn't a typical Japanese also.
    But anyway,sorry for the off-topic insertion.
    Lol. This is old. Funny thing is "The weaker dog barks more" is the best sentence to describe Itagaki himself. Ita is nearly a big an idiot as Uwe Boll and Jack Thompson imo.

He was fired from Tecmo btw, he didnt quit. He also claimed the he made the Ninja Gaiden games by himself.

But yeah, I reckon the take over is probably good for both developers.

This would be good for Square Enix if Tecmo meant something anymore. Pretty much the entire team who made Ninja Gaiden and DOA have left. I don't see Tecmo being a great asset to Square Enix, but I hope I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Croyles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifleheim7 View Post
    Lol. This is old. Funny thing is "The weaker dog barks more" is the best sentence to describe Itagaki himself. Ita is nearly a big an idiot as Uwe Boll and Jack Thompson imo.

He was fired from Tecmo btw, he didnt quit. He also claimed the he made the Ninja Gaiden games by himself.

But yeah, I reckon the take over is probably good for both developers.
    He's such a tool. And he rarely knows what he's mouthing off about. Example:

My daughter tried playing Okami, and she got sick of it pretty quickly-and I got pretty sick of it, too. And I'm not out to make this an Okami bashing session or anything — I'm just saying that it didn't feel like it had much of a spirit.
    What the smurf? Okami doesn't have spirit? This from a man who makes games about tits flailing at each other? Give me a break.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Does this mean we'll see a DS remake of Tecmo Bowl?
    Figaro Castle

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Neat, I think this could result in some pretty rad games.

On another note: LOL@ITAGAKI. He is such the prima donna.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Well, this certainly bodes well for the creator of the viral video, Dead Fantasy. I wonder if Tecmo will continue to produce games from its main franchises — Ninja Gaiden, Monster Rancher, Dead or Alive — after being taken over by Square Enix?
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet View Post
    That is the first thing that always comes to my mind when I hear the word Tecmo. Is Tecmo Bowl.

Lol, that would be quite a change if Square started making NFL games.

I take that back. Square couldn't make NFL games even if they wanted to because EA sports owns the sole rights to making games under the NFL name.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

I hope that means future Monster Rancher games will get a PAL release ?

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet View Post
    No, it means we get Tecmo Bowl Fantasy.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Tecmo Bowl is already coming to the DS.

I really see no reason for Tecmo to reject Squenix's offer. Though I do wonder what Squenix sees in Tecmo. From what I hear, Fatal Frame 4 (Tecmo/Suda51's most recent game, released in JP July 31) was buggy and Ninja Gaiden 2 had an update that made the game freeze. I guess Squenix can save the company from going under if the next Dead Or Alive/Ninja Gaiden (Tecmo's best selling franchises) titles flop since they don't really have many/any other big titles to sustain the company.

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrix View Post
    Tecmo Bowl is already coming to the DS.

I really see no reason for Tecmo to reject Squenix's offer. Though I do wonder what Squenix sees in Tecmo. From what I hear, Fatal Frame 4 (Tecmo/Suda51's most recent game, released in JP July 31) was buggy and Ninja Gaiden 2 had an update that made the game freeze. I guess Squenix can save the company from going under if the next Dead Or Alive/Ninja Gaiden (Tecmo's best selling franchises) titles flop since they don't really have many/any other big titles to sustain the company.
    Tecmo should have continued on with their football franchise. Back in the early and mid 90's their football games were EXTREMELY popular (I'd imagine that they had just as good of sales or even a little better sales than the Madden series).

I don't know what the reasoning was but they never continued their football series into the playstation era.