Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Haha everyone hates Vaan

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Another interesting tidbit about XII. Matsuno apparently loved Balthier so much he gave him a larger role than originally planned, he was even thinking about having the entire story rewritten to make him the lead but was thwarted due to the development delays.

I don't hate Vaan, hell the series has made worse whiny boring paper thin characters so he's hardly on my skullskullskullskull list. I felt his coming of age story was handled quite nicely due to its realism. I don't blame people for hating him but from a story standpoint and from what the team has mentioned in interviews, Vaan is not the main character. XII follows in the footsteps of other FF titles by having the story switch between the cast. Vaan's story ends less than a third of the way into the plot. So I wish people would stop assuming he's the lead cause he's the only character model available in the bigger cities.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Horrible voice acting. :P

Albeit that, it's a heck of a lot better than most amateur voice acting esp. on newgrounds.

Vaan's okay. An improvement on Tidus.

Tidus needs some smurfing ritalin.

Finally actually remembered to watch the damn cartoon and noticed the depiction of Vaan was 100% inaccurate. Well okay, despite "REVOLUTION!" but that's it.

I'd say Tidus was more like that, and that's only when taking a less objective approach.

not you naan bread Sergeant Hartman's Avatar

Vaan in the loading screen made me lol.

Average movie, but had some funny moments.

Why, oh why, did they not re-write the story making Balthier the lead! WHY!?!?!?!?!?!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by champagne supernova View Post
    Average movie, but had some funny moments.

Why, oh why, did they not re-write the story making Balthier the lead! WHY!?!?!?!?!?!
    Cause they were already two years behind schedule?

It's too bad they didn't cotton on to Balthier's overall superiority as a character earlier on. If he were the actual lead character I think I may already have completed the game by now... and we'd have an FF with an adult lead character for the first time since 7.

(Yeah, and to all those people calling Cloud a whiny teen: he's 21 and is troubled by a hugely traumatic past, not his puberty. Learn to freakin' count from thirteen to nineteen.)
    Last edited by ReloadPsi; 09-01-2008 at 04:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Wait, something actually happened in FFXII?

there was a picture here

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    It's too bad they didn't cotton on to Balthier's overall superiority as a character earlier on. If he were the actual lead character I think I may already have completed the game by now... and we'd have an FF with an adult lead character for the first time since 7.

(Yeah, and to all those people calling Cloud a whiny teen: he's 21. Learn to freakin' count from thirteen to nineteen.)
    Ditto all this

You'd think they woulda caught on that people didn't mind older characters considering how popular FFVII turned out to be

Vaan: Guys are you watching.... are you watching!? I'm gonna jump!
    Basch: Oh ffs I just wanna kill Vayne, HURRY UP AND JUMP!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post

(Yeah, and to all those people calling Cloud a whiny teen: he's 21. Learn to freakin' count from thirteen to nineteen.)
    Ditto all this

You'd think they woulda caught on that people didn't mind older characters considering how popular FFVII turned out to be
    They're just trying to target the demographic. I still feel from a story perspective, Lady Ashe is the actual lead but it doesn't change much cause I believe she's 19.

Squenix was all "No, we need an androgynous little prick like every other Final Fantasy in the last 10 years. Put one in,"
    Zidane wasn't... imo...

Anyway, I don't mind Vaan. He doesn't have much connection to the overall story, but, like Tidus in X, he's the best one to tell the story through, because he knows the least about the overall plot at the beginning (except Panelo, but she's pretty much a naggy, yet somehow more attractive Vaan) so it feels like you learn about things at almost the same rate as Vaan.That's one of the reasons Raiden was theleading character of MGS2, because someone who's involved enough with the world to be considered the "main" character probably shouldn't need someone to explain to him what hunts are (as if it isn't given away by the name. Hunts. Maybe ya hunt something?)

Quote Originally Posted by arcanedude34 View Post
    Squenix was all "No, we need an androgynous little prick like every other Final Fantasy in the last 10 years. Put one in,"
    Zidane wasn't... imo...

Anyway, I don't mind Vaan. He doesn't have much connection to the overall story, but, like Tidus in X, he's the best one to tell the story through, because he knows the least about the overall plot at the beginning (except Panelo, but she's pretty much a naggy, yet somehow more attractive Vaan) so it feels like you learn about things at almost the same rate as Vaan.
    Yeah, but Tidus is developed as a character, and he also is fundamentally important to the story halfway through. The guy did choose to (SPOILER)fade away so that the world would be without Sin.

Vaan really is just there for the ride, and by the end, his place could be taken by anyone. Squall himself could appear from the Ether and have as much point at the end of the game.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Vaan had an important personal journey - he went from uppity-but-clueless urchin to reasonably mature, worldly and optimistic airship-owner. Unlike previous 'main characters' he wasn't crucial to the salvation of the world; but he was a witness to, and participant in, those events.