Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Haha everyone hates Vaan

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Vaan had an important personal journey - he went from uppity-but-clueless urchin to reasonably mature, worldly and optimistic airship-owner. Unlike previous 'main characters' he wasn't crucial to the salvation of the world; but he was a witness to, and participant in, those events.
    I haven't played Revenant Wings. Because that personal journey must occur then.

I know he is a participant in the events, but after about a third of the game, he is almost entirely a peripheral character. He really is just tagging along for the ride.

Balthier clearly takes Vaan under his wing as well, which is another nice twist on how one plays the main character; playing the sidekick of the other prospective main character. And he was less whiny than Raiden too.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by champagne supernova View Post
    Vaan had an important personal journey - he went from uppity-but-clueless urchin to reasonably mature, worldly and optimistic airship-owner. Unlike previous 'main characters' he wasn't crucial to the salvation of the world; but he was a witness to, and participant in, those events.
    I haven't played Revenant Wings. Because that personal journey must occur then.

I know he is a participant in the events, but after about a third of the game, he is almost entirely a peripheral character. He really is just tagging along for the ride.
    It actually happens in XII, by RW he's starting to establish himself as an Sky Pirate whereas the ending to XII has him finally getting his first airship.

Vaan is a realistic take on the "coming of age" story. He's far more mature by the ending of XII than he was when it started. He's still reckless and a bit innocent but not everyone needs to have a complete transformation from childhood to manhood like you see in so many other JRPGs. I found it quite refreshing that we watch Vaan mature and become cooler through the series rather than him having some grand epiphany that transforms him and allows him to be able to handle anything.

The difference between Vaan and say Tidus and Squall is that firstly, Vaan really isn't the main character like those two were and the story of XII is told from a variety of perspectives whereas VIII and X's is told through Squall and Tidus' point of view exclusively. I felt it was ok to have Vaan fall into the background a bit so we can see different perspectives like Lady Ashe and Balthier. Just a difference in writing styles.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

What he said ^

Funny movie though

Vaan is actually really cool in Final Fantasy Tactics A2. It's like he... ate Balthier or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Vaan is actually really cool in Final Fantasy Tactics A2. It's like he... ate Balthier or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    Balthier clearly takes Vaan under his wing as well, which is another nice twist on how one plays the main character; playing the sidekick of the other prospective main character. And he was less whiny than Raiden too.
    See? Balthier knows how to pick a good apprentice!

Yes, Balthier reminds me of a cookie. I'd eat him too.

Vaan isn't that bad, actually. He's one of the most unique characters in the series.

Balthier takes Vaan under his wing and Fran takes Penelo under hers and by the end of it they better for it. but they still aren't as cool as Fran and Balthier.
    tho Vaan has started wearing shirts and Penelo is dressing more provocatively, so they've taken the style tips into consideration
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

lmao, imagine penelo dressed like fran.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Its funny how somewhat wholesome characters like Yuna and Penelo get all whored up in the sequels while Tifa gets a conservative outfit in the sequels.

like penelo's new outfit so much nicer than the first and still not as revealing than ashe or fran.

but it does seem a trend for outfits to get smaller in sequels. I mean if Yuffie carried on in that trend she'll have no clothes,her shorts got very short in doc , and don't even get me started on Rikku.
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

I feel that the FF XII character/story complaints always hangs at a demographic level. "It's not supposed to be like that". I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered what kind of story XII actually was. If you ask me it was just what the series needed. To get away from the anime like setup (though it was much anime stuff in XII too). I think that the "main stream" people don't get it/care. Why bother lol. They know what they want.

Concerning Vaan I must admit I didn't like the guy. I din't hate him, but he was the character I cared less for. When I played with Penelo I could at least look at her ass... lol kidding. But I see his place in the story. Or should we call it event. Yeah that sounds more fitting.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by gjoerulv View Post
    I feel that the FF XII character/story complaints always hangs at a demographic level. "It's not supposed to be like that". I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered what kind of story XII actually was. If you ask me it was just what the series needed. To get away from the anime like setup (though it was much anime stuff in XII too). I think that the "main stream" people don't get it/care. Why bother lol. They know what they want.
    Yep, most people complain about the game because it was different to the last one, when usually they moan that each new game is too much like the last one

I loved XII for its differences, and the characters are different. Fran is a Veria but shes also a mechanic and has a dry wit about her, she seems like shes having fun as well as being Mysterious.
    Ashe is a legend, lead female who acts like a Queen actually should (take not Garnet) you can belive that she could actually sort thing out, but shes got a touch of darkness to her.
    Remember that well.