Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Haha everyone hates Vaan

Default Haha everyone hates Vaan

I happened across this movie today and thought I would share if others have yet to see it.

Ah this movie made me happy on the inside.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Lol, I dont hate Vaan, but the movie was pretty funny.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Vaan is just unremarkable ... too plain. Other than that he's pretty alright.

Horrible voice acting. :P (Except Fran. xP)

I do hate Vaan, though. xP He seems completely out of place. All of the other characters are relatively sensible and they work nicely with the overall tone of the game. Vaan acts like they found him in a mall food court or something.

That was pretty awesome haha

There's a very simple reason why I don't hate Vaan: before him we had Tidus. Despite a very superficial resemblence he's nowhere near as annoying.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Vaan in this video just really reminded me of a friend of mine which I found slightly disconcerting. Otherwise, it was an alright video. Still think they should've done something more with Vaan or replaced him with a better character.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Wow, replace Runescape with WoW and the baby with a cat and that's pretty much me and my friends. I've had my friend tell me to steal a chocobo once. That was freaky. That all movie was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Vaan in this video just really reminded me of a friend of mine which I found slightly disconcerting. Otherwise, it was an alright video. Still think they should've done something more with Vaan or replaced him with a better character.
    It think I read somewhere that the original plan was to have Basch as the main character and Vaan wasn't even going to exist, but Squenix was all "No, we need an androgynous little prick like every other Final Fantasy in the last 10 years. Put one in," so they made Vaan. :P And then brushed him off to the side for most of the game. xP

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Yeah, I've heard that about Basch as well and I'd definitely have found it preferable. Hell, if I had my way, Barret would've been the main character in FFXII. Then again, if I had my way the world would be a very different place... Alas.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Yeah, I've heard that about Basch as well and I'd definitely have found it preferable. Hell, if I had my way, Barret would've been the main character in FFXII. Then again, if I had my way the world would be a very different place... Alas.
    I would like that World.
    This space intentionally left blank.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I read the 'scrapbook' and started playing the movie, but turned it off after about two seconds of voice-acted 'music'. I can tell what the movie's like just from the scrapbook, anyway - "LOL VAN R SUX CUZ HE R GAY N NO CHAR DEVLOPMENT N HE DA MAIN CHAR N IT R AL LIKE SATR WARZ CUZ OF DA SHIPS N DA EMPRIE N LOLOL".

Basically the same stuff people have been saying since the game came out, mainly because they don't understand what's happening, or they think Star Wars invented - rather than reusing - a ton of genre clichés, and 'cause they think Vaan is somehow *required* to have exactly the same role as the lead character in ever other FF game.

I love a good parody. Emphasis on good parody. Silly voices and repeated tired, uninformed complaints isn't good parody.

Sure, Vaan's not a terribly interesting or involved character. I'm pretty sure he's not meant to be. The story's not about him; rather, he's the conduit who tells the story to us.

There could have been so many better conduits. xD

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Absolutely, though a cast of awesomely heroic and admirable titans gets boring pretty fast

If Basch had been the main character, as originally planned, it would've altered the storytelling quite a bit, in my opinion. Out of all the main cast, Basch undergoes what I'd consider the most profound set of changes. If he'd been the central character, then we would've spent a lot more time on his thoughts and feelings, like FFVIII did with Squall. That'd be a big departure from how FFXII actually turned out, with the audience somewhat removed from the characters for a change, instead of inside their heads all the time.

I'm not even really opposed to the idea of a Vaan type character, just along for the ride, made to feel like a bit of an outsider, and a witness to the events of the story. I just wish he wasn't such girl. :P No matter how much or how little development he has, or how important or unimportant he is to the story, or whether he's there as a witness or as a key player, he could have been perfectly fine if he wasn't such a dickless little fop. xD