Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What excercises are you doing if any? Also "Do 100 pushups challenge"

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

What excercises are you doing if any? Also "Do 100 pushups challenge"

Have you been doing any exercises and if yes what are they?
    Do you get embarrassed if people catch you working out? I kind of do, but im hoping that will change soon.

Apart from my job (which isnt physically challenging) I have been a real lazy git for quite a while. My brother who's about twice as wide as I am has been doing this one hundred pushup (or pressups) challenge for a few weeks.

The goal is to follow the program and be able to do 100 consecutive pushups after 6 weeks of increasingly difficult sets (choose any 3 days a week), repeating a week if you didnt manage it.
    He said it only takes up like 30 minutes a week to do it.
    I decided to try even though the fact that my brothers stronger than me kind of put me down.

First I had to do an initial test to see how many proper pushups you can do in one go. I only managed 11, whereas my brother did something like 30.
    But apparently my results were average and not substandard which lift me up a bit. After a day of rest I did the Day 1 of Week 1.

7 pushups
    60 seconds rest
    60 seconds rest
    60 seconds rest
    60 seconds rest
    Then as many as you can (at least 5) - I did 10.

The number of pushups increase for every section every day (with a days rest inbetween).

Im now on week 3 day 1 which looks like this:

60 seconds
    60 seconds
    60 seconds
    60 seconds
    as many as you can (at least 20) - I managed 23 or 24, may have lost count.

Ive never been one to really stick to any workout routine but this is actually really fun..
    Heres the website:
    one hundred push ups
    Last edited by Croyles; 09-02-2008 at 12:30 PM.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

While that's no doubt good for bulking up, it's not going to burn off any excess weight with those quantites and rests in between
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

I can barely do a stand-up.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I try and run 6-8 miles a week. Doesn't matter to me if I do 3 miles for 2 days or 1 mile everyday of the week. I just try and get in at least 6 miles every week. Sometimes I fail though.

I also try and walk my dogs on a daily basis for at least 15 minutes. Those "walks" end up being sprints though cause my dogs are wild and love to drag me on the leash.

I need to exercise. Jazzercising sounds like a nice alternative for me. I need to get some muscles.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by crono_logical View Post
    While that's no doubt good for bulking up, it's not going to burn off any excess weight with those quantites and rests in between
    I dont need to lose fat, so its good for me

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

No upper body strength = no pushups for me. I've never been athletic or extremely physically fit before, so why start now?

Although, a little exercise wouldn't kill me from time to time. I feel out of shape from 6 and a half months of inactivity. However, the long walks (nearly ten minutes from my last class to my car, walking at a normal pace) from one side of my college campus to the other while carrying a bag that weighs around 30 pounds has to account for something.

Errm I can do like 70 pushups and I'm not even doing this program. My workout regime is like this. 30 dumbbell reps on each arm, each at 25 lb. Followed my 40 pushups while holding each dumbbell (more difficult than regular pushups but really help buff out your chest). And repeat around 5 times in the space of an hour. I do this every 2 days.

No offense Croyles but your workout regime is not going to get you anywhere. You need to push yourself much harder if you want to see results. I am under the impression that you are working out to have a bigger build and some muslces right? Heres a tip, each a lot more food than you are at the moment. That increases your build but helps you build muscle a lot quicker too.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Errm, im already doing twice as many pushups as I was at the beginning. And their getting easier by the day. Most importantly I am feeling stronger, not too bothered by actually building up bulk.

"errrm I can do like 70 pushups" Is also no way to encourage anyone, obviously you are fit. Im wondering why the first thing you post is telling someone how many more pushups you can do than someone with a nice little piteous "errm". Everyone has to start somewhere, from the sounds of it youve been working out for a while right?

I dont care if you were telling the truth about having to push much harder (although ive already said im just building strength), you pretty much ruined my day right there. On second thoughts, I actually dont really care what you think because its doing me good eitherway.
    Last edited by Croyles; 09-01-2008 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Croyles View Post
    Errm, im already doing twice as many pushups as I was at the beginning. And their getting easier by the day. Most importantly I am feeling stronger, not too bothered by actually building up bulk.

"errrm I can do like 70 pushups" Is also no way to encourage anyone, obviously you are fit. Im wondering why your first post is telling someone how many more pushups you can do than someone with a nice little piteous "errm".

I dont care if you were telling the truth about having to push much harder (although ive already said im just building strength), you pretty much ruined my day right there.
    I wasn't trying to offend you so sorry if I did. I'm just giving advice and I guess I misunderstood what you were trying to achieve. If you want to build strength then your doing fine but you can do it faster if you really want to. If you don't then that's still cool.

Oh and I'm not as fit as you probably think. Even an inch of muscle goes a long way in terms of how strong you are. I was once very skinny, mainly due to my high metabolism. But around a year ago I had enough and decided to work out and now I'm a fairly decent build but not some bodybuilding meathead.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I never thought you as a meathead or anything. Ive been on this forum long enough for that ^^

But seriously, its better to start out small because overdoing can be a lot worse at the beginning than underdoing it.
    What do you mean by faster though? As in no day breaks? Doing a variety of exercises?
    I wouldnt mind bulking up, but im taking it slowly first to just get in better shape first.
    Also, I actually cant really eat anymore than I do. I eat A LOT, im not gonna quantify it because that would take too long to count but like you I have a huge metabolism.

BTW, why would holding a dumbbell while doing a pushup (a pressup) be more difficult (just curious) because its not like your lifting them, your grip is just worse...

Holding a dumbbell in each hand while doing pushups puts more strain on your chest (which you can definitely feel). You can dip much lower too which makes them tougher. Try them for yourself and you'll know what I'm talking about.

I do recommend doing more than just pushups, but thats depends on where you want to become strongers. Pushups are ideal for buffing out your chest but there not doing so much for your arms. I recommend weight lifting if you want to become stronger in your arms.

And I agree not to go overboard when you start training. I sprained myself on numerous occasions because of pushing myself too hard when starting out. Oh and as for eating, you need to eat a lot but also eat more food with protein. Stuff like plain chicken breasts and steak are good. Although it is a very boring.
    Last edited by Dreddz; 09-01-2008 at 10:50 PM.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

That makes sense with the dumbbells.
    I can honestly tell you I eat very well, I get a lot of protein.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lolz, I thought you meant 100 pushups all at once.

No way @ that, the highest I came before I crashed was 32 pushups during an Airforce fitness test.

I was unresponsive for several minutes after that.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I DO mean 100 consecutive pushups. The workouts with rest between them are just sets to build up your strength. At the end of the 6 weeks you have to test yourself and if you managed 100 consecutive pushups you pass.
    You also have to do 2 or 3 exhaustion tests between some of the weeks to see which "difficulty" you will take. This means doing as many push-ups as possible in one go.
    Last edited by Croyles; 09-01-2008 at 11:44 PM.