Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Final Fantasy Tactics: Mercenaries *Spoilers for the main plot of FFT!*

oic XD you have to make all the sprites super cute!!!! <3
    Oh gods, why? ಥ_ಥ

I do apologize for the lack of updates recently, but there has been a few major additions made to Mercenaries since the last time I've posted. The historical "backdrop" I was referring to, is now it's very own subquest! Joining Rad and Ramza is the one-shot "ally" Hedin Fordring, the historian who stumbled upon the Ruglia Records. His role is ever larger now. He is the only unit that can "study" subjects, and gains JP through such. The reason for this is, when you place him in battle, he will immediately transform into a crystal, leaving the group, of course, this will of course not allow you to "study" anymore "subjects" but it is the only way to get a few unique abilities for either Rad or Ramza.

Here is the full article posted at FFHacktics...

Quote Originally Posted by LastingDawn
    I apologize for the lack of updates recently, but I have been busy with the sub-quests of Mercenaries, which is the role of Hedin Fordring, the young historian who stumbled upon the Ruglia Records. His role is completely unique. The Bar has been transformed into "Historical Archives". Which allows you to read through histories, and allow Hedin to study specific subjects, this will net you a few extra gil and Hedin will gain JP. Of course this subplot has no (planned) affect on the outcome of the game. It is an imperative goal of mine to show that Hedin Fordring and Ramza are the two main protagonists, while Hedin researches the Ruglia Records and takes on many different subjects, Ramza's journey is just that of a book. To emphasize this, is the "Memoirs" Section of the Records, (used from the unused "Fact" section in our normal FFT)

Memoirs, to jog some memories is short for "Memoirs of a Cadet" a tale that arose shortly after Delita united the land, and had quickly become a favorite in households. Tales of daring young men, demons, brave women, and one heroic saint.,St. Victor,.Memoirs of a Cadet lends large credence to the Durai Report, since there are many uncanny similarities between the two. Many people now believe that St. Victor was Ramza Beoulve, and his childhood friend who lost himself to ambition, and rising to the rank of Duke was actually King Delita. With the Durai Report in one hand and the Memoirs of a Cadet in another, Alazlam's seat of power was guaranteed.

With Ramza and Rad, Hedin will always be in your party. But Hedin has a double role... He is the only character that can "study" (attend propositions). Thanks to this he obtains Gil and JP (his gil is still of course, Ramza's gil.) But his JP is special, his main class (Historian) has a few unique skills. Well as I've said before, Hedin plays no active role in the game, but he plays a relatively helpful role. you only get one Hedin, of course. when you place Hedin into battle, he will immediately become a Crystal. This is the true worth of attending the sub-plot. He has a unique skill for the Mercenary and Hessian for Ramza. If Rad chooses to pick up the crystal, there will be a unique skill for Apprentice and Red Mage. So if you do intend to sacrifice Hedin, make sure to do so after you've unlocked their final two classes. Otherwise it isn't really worth it.

In other news is the second release of the Sweegy Woods video, this time with working animations, and the promised treasure reception Longibunne, as well the power of Longibunne, promises to keep it's use throughout the game! Without it being too powerful, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by LastingDawn
    Sweegy Showdown Redux is up! Archael showed the basics of the battle, but his video could only do so much (I loved the first playthrough reactions though.) This one highlights possibilities that *happen* only if *certain* units have randomly appeared. In this case, the Golden Dragoon, owner of the Longibunne Spear. Mercenaries will more then likely take advantage of this unique option later down the line. As well our friendly Traveler AI shows us the definite use that Blow Leaves has! (Great for those pesky Phoenix Down spammers.) As well as a bunch of animation fixes which gives the scene a bit more vibrant life.

YouTube - Final Fantasy Tactics: Mercenaries: Sweegy Showdown!
    Do enjoy, any comments or critiques, feel free to post them here.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Is there an explanation in the storyline for why a historian would immediately crystallize when placed into the battle formation?
    I believe in the power of humanity.

He's not really there, that's all. He's the only unit who can be placed. Basically, it's to give a use for acquiring JP with Hedin, since he is the only character who can do propositions. In this way his existence is not just for extra gil, but has the use of unique skills as well. Hedin's role is Historian, he presides over the story. His crystallization is to show "he supports Ramza" so to speak. Though upon doing that, you lose him, you really shouldn't even think about using Hedin's Crystal until you unlock Red Mage or Hessian. Ideally, one should "study" all the "subjects" I would like to give a seperate prize for that, but I'm unsure how, though I have an idea...

I understand this is a double post, and there's probably not much interest for this project in this community, but regardless, just wished to show the amount of work and promise that has gone into it's creation and it is narrated by Archael of FF Tactics 1.3 Fame.

Dorter Trade City

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

How is the project coming along?
    I believe in the power of humanity.

This is actually quite interesting. I wouldn't mind trying it out when it releases >=)

How did you create custom skills and skill sets?

Is there a program like FFTP that makes it easy or is it a long process that I wouldn't have time for.

If you can use FFTP to do it I can't figure out how.

Edit:
    I have always wanted to see something like this made... Was always fond of Gaffy for some reason. Probably because he was a dark knight.

But I must say I disagree with your dark wave. For my dark wave, which uses an edited "Darkness" slot since me and the text editor don't get along yet, is pretty much a copy of holy explosion but uses the dmg_(PA*Y) dmgcas_(PA*Y/X).
    Though I haven't found the X and Y values to make it properly balanced. Nor the right animation to use for it.
    Beowulf's blind is what it currently is.
    Last edited by Demon Lancer; 12-16-2008 at 01:01 AM.