Thread: Wireless gain adapter... thing

*yawn* Wireless gain adapter... thing

Okay so my husband bought a month of wireless internet where he's stationed at. Sadly, where his room is doesn't seem to pick up a signal. His friend is on the second third (while he's on the third) and his friend is able to get the signal fine.

I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right thing but I was looking at hi-gain wireless adapters. Now I read from people who bought them that they used it even when their computer had wireless internet and the signal strength itself massively improved.

So do these little receivers ADD to the signal gain already on the laptop, or do they just like over-ride the built in wireless receiver? I'm asking this because if it adds on to the signal gain built into the laptops wireless, then I wouldn't need to get something to great because one floor below gets it, but if it over rides it, I'll prolly need something stronger since the laptop can't even pick it up.

Any advice or products or anything that you guys recommend? We just want to pull the signal (or make the range for the laptop further) so he can use the internet in his room.

Thank you~

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

High-gain antennae are bigger receivers, which are more sensitive and can detect lower amplitude signals.

Basically that means that they're more capable of detecting and using a weaker signal - they'll still pick up everything the laptop receiver gets, meaning they effectively override the laptop receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by o_O View Post
    High-gain antennae are bigger receivers, which are more sensitive and can detect lower amplitude signals.

Basically that means that they're more capable of detecting and using a weaker signal - they'll still pick up everything the laptop receiver gets, meaning they effectively override the laptop receiver.
    Hooray! I should have prolly just logged on to #eoff and asked you. xD You know all!

So then I am looking at the right things. =D