Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: back into the world of FF7

Default back into the world of FF7

Signing in once a year or so, I just keep coming back to the Final Fantasy 7 forum. I just freaking love FF7, I might start a new game tonight. Anywho, I haven't played any of the prequels / sequels / spin offs of this game. I saw the movie AC and was disappointed because I think there's a lack of good story telling / character developing as we see in the game (my opinion).

my question is: does playing games like Before Crisis ruin the original FF7?

I've had that happen to me before: for example, I love the Dune series by Frank Herbert, but when his son started writing the prequels it kinda ruined the original... get my point?

your thoughts please

There's nothing to ruin the original FFVII game. Anyone who complains and states so, obviously need to get out of the house once in awhile.

I personally loved Crisis Core, simply because Zack's character develops so much and it's quite easy to to get attached to him. I think it is a very good lead up to the original game, and I'm not sure if there'd be any better way to do it.

Advent Children isn't as bad as a lot of people say, there is quite a bit of development on Cloud's side. Granted it'd be very nice to see what they took out of the DVD release and put back into the Blu-Ray release.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post
    There's nothing to ruin the original FFVII game. Anyone who complains and states so, obviously need to get out of the house once in awhile.
    I disagree.

I found both CC and AC had a rather tarnishing affect on VII. CC's main plot about Genesis alone feel's like SE's way of creating a new plot element so they can milk the VII franchise "for ten or more years".

I personally have not cared for the Compilation, mostly cause it has been poorly done and has made lousy writing choices that disregards the original's story. They need to remake VII now so it no longer conflicts with the Compilation and I find that sad and proof enough of the Compilations faults.

CC does a great job expanding Zack, but the game places too much attention on new characters who are mostly poorly developed or are just plain knock offs of existing characters in the franchise. The parts of CC's story that truly shine are the ones relevant to VII's actual story. The problem is they are few and far between and there is one major scene from VII that is retcon and it really serves no purpose either.

So far, Last Order has been the only part of Compilation I cared about and its cause it actually retconned a scene I felt needed to be changed.

If the Compilation has done anything, it has made me appreciate the original game more but I have a hard time accepting the Compilation as canon cause it changes elements of the source material.

I haven't played Before Crisis, but I have played Crisis Core and DoC!

I really don't think that they ruin FFVII!

Crisis Core does give a lot more detail for Zack and Sephiroth before he went crazy lol.

It also gives quite an impressive back story about the events leading up to FFVII and the Buster Sword.

I know that BC gives a lot more information on The Turks, old AVALANCHE and ShinRa in general.

Squeenix really are milking it, but I'm not complaining! If they happen to re-make VII, I will love it! If they happen to make a sequel to DoC, I will love it, hell even if they port BC to psp and make a sequel, I will love it!

Why the hell is everyone starting to hate FFVII?

EDIT: Last Order wasn't really part of the compilation was it?
    I would love to be happy, but unfortunately I'm too busy being awesome and kicking your ass at everything

crisis core rules!! the only thing that conflicted me a lil was Zack and Aeris, because they are so damn cute, but it doesn't deminish the cute of Cloud and Aeris, just makes it all a bit more complicated.
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

I thought Crisis Core did very well and fitted together with FFVII nicely, Advent Children was okay. Im not really bothered if they milk it because i love VII
    I think the main problem is that Crisis Core, Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus are all compared to VII to much rather than reviewed as individual games/movies

If I was like Cloud I don't think I would have taken that test.
    Changed to stop Jessweeee♪ from going insane. Is that better?

Thumbs up

Thanks guys

If the Compilation has done anything, it has made me appreciate the original game more
    That's how I feel about AC!

From the responses I get the idea that the games are alright, and that it's fun to learn more about the character's backgrounds and stuff. Maybe it's better to not have high expectations of the Compilation and just appreciate them as seperate games. ah, if they would only remake the game...

I make this analogy all the time but I think it accurately describes how I feel. Some Star Wars fans refuse to accept the three prequels that came out oh so many years later. In the same vain I refuse to accept the compilation. The story was fine how it was thank you.

If Squenix intended for it to turn out that Zack met Aeris by falling through the roof of her church, "just like Cloud", why wasn't that in the original game? The compilation is just like bad fanfiction with a bit of RPG Maker to boot.

- off topic -

omg I totally forgot about the Star Wars movies. I was close to tears when I saw the phantom menace for the first time. actually, I only saw it once

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I feel that nothing can tarnish the original Final Fantasy VII as long as it exists in its current form.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I agree with Omecle/others: 1) I really couldn't see any related-story ruining the original for me. On anything - games or whatever.

2) I thought Crisis Core added new perspective to the original FFVII story, so imo it only enhances it if slightly.

I just watched Last Order and that was pretty cool, the Nibelheim story always seemed complicated to me. As long as they stick to the original FF7 story I would love to see more stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I disagree.
    If you go play the original, it is exactly the same as it was when it was first released. How do the other games ruin it? If you truely don't like the other aspects of the compilation, just don't pay attention to them. To bitch and moan about it is a waste of time and energy, and that's why I do not take anyone's opinion that is formed in such a manner, seriously.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I disagree.
    If you go play the original, it is exactly the same as it was when it was first released. How do the other games ruin it? If you truely don't like the other aspects of the compilation, just don't pay attention to them. To bitch and moan about it is a waste of time and energy, and that's why I do not take anyone's opinion that is formed in such a manner, seriously.
    When you say it like that I agree, and I do ignore the compilation.

I just wanted to warn him that if he didn't like AC, then he might not like CC either. Cause I feel both games brought the same thing to the VII mythos: nothing

Is it wrong to offer a different opinion?

Is it wrong to offer a different opinion?
    You're having a conversation with gamers about video games so yes. Offering a different opinion around gamers is punishable by death these days for some reason.

*snip*
    [mulley]Please don't flame or bait other members like this. - Flying Mullet[/mulley]