Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 378910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: New Dissidia Trailer at Official Website

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was kinda hoping they'd have Aerith representing FFVII's heroes... but never mind

Oh god

What if Cloud's alternate costume

is Miss Cloud?

Unlikely, I know, but one can always hope.

:edit: That new trailer's pretty awesome. Bartz using the others' weapons might be something to do with FFV's job system.
    It's a bit unfortunate, though predictable, that they made Kefka a twitchy, screeching lunatic.
    Terra's fighting looks pretty badass, aside from the critically low BMI. The appearance of 16-bit Typhoon during her fight with Kefka was a neat surprise.
    Hopefully some other heroines will be available as unlockable characters too
    Last edited by Big D; 11-15-2008 at 12:28 AM.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

My favorite aspect of this game is all the love for Amano.

Even though Nomura is technically the character design, he's deliberately referenced Amano's renditions of the cast -- even for characters he originally created, like Sephiroth and Tidus. And taking poses right out of ancient artwork, some of which none but the most devoted fans would even recognize? That's awesome.

am i the only one who's worried about this game getting ruined? my number one concern is (as mentioned) the fact that the physical fighters will undoubtably sh*t all over the magic-users, which is what happens in pretty much every Final Fantasy...my next concern is that those main characters are the only characters in the game (even the 'random' enemies, etc. are just copies of them)...don't you think it will get tedious fighting the same people over and over again? This brings me to my third point: no unlockable characters...it's still possible that they might include some, but at this point it seems highly unlikely; this isn't a major downfall, but it would have been nice to see some supporting characters in the game. Lastly, i really hope square doesn't screw up the voice acting for characters like Kefka and Kuja and all the other people who didn't have voices in their original games

don't get me wrong, i'm really looking forward to the game, but i can't help but be worried...i've had my heart broken before ;_;

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    It's a bit unfortunate, though predictable, that they made Kefka a twitchy, screeching lunatic.
    Is it really that hard to believe that FFVI Kefka was a screeching lunatic? I imagined quite a few of his lines being shouted at the top of his lungs. Failing that, is it that hard to believe that Kefka would turn into a twitching screeching lunatic in a heated battle in VI?

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's not too hard to believe, no, but someone like that doesn't usually rise to power in a major political/military institution. Regardless of his talent for warfare - which is debatable in Kefka's case - if he behaved like that he wouldn't have been taken seriously, and would've been an embarrassment to the emperor.

Also, there's just a hint of "OMG IT R KEWL HE R LIEK TEH JOKOR" in that portrayal

he obviously wasn't crazy when he was instated, he just gradually went that way after a series of events...sure, he may always have been a little kooky (i mean, he DID have the clown costume on the whole time ), but it wasn't until later on that he really lost it with his hunger for power and when he recieved that power, he toyed with people and went crazy

and i know what you're saying about the 'joker' thing, that annoyed me when i first saw it, too, but he's really quite different...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by .:kerrod:. View Post
    am i the only one who's worried about this game getting ruined? my number one concern is (as mentioned) the fact that the physical fighters will undoubtably sh*t all over the magic-users, which is what happens in pretty much every Final Fantasy...
    Judging by the combat system I think you should be worried that its the other way around. If those magic users can fire projectiles as normal attacks, then battles against Ultemacia and Kefka may devolve into a pyrotechnic game of tag. This will all depend upon how the battle system will work out. I'm hoping for more skill and challenge than SSB but I guess it would be too much to ask for something on GGXX or KoF series. Still, the trailers have shown alot of thought has gone into the system so I'm not worried it will be terrible.

my next concern is that those main characters are the only characters in the game (even the 'random' enemies, etc. are just copies of them)...don't you think it will get tedious fighting the same people over and over again?
    You don't play too many fighting games do you? I would not approach this game strictly as an FF but remember its a fighting game as well. Limited roster tends to keep balance and figuring out the mechanics and play styles is actually half the fun of the games. 20 characters is more than enough for a good fighting game.

This brings me to my third point: no unlockable characters...it's still possible that they might include some, but at this point it seems highly unlikely; this isn't a major downfall, but it would have been nice to see some supporting characters in the game.
    As I said earlier, 20 is more than enough. Any more and we can expect more broken gameplay and possibly technical issues as well. We must remember that this game is on the PSP after all... 20 is a pretty good number though I personally would have liked to see XII represented.

Lastly, i really hope square doesn't screw up the voice acting for characters like Kefka and Kuja and all the other people who didn't have voices in their original games
    This may or may not happen. Granted most people won't agree with the choices made. I know people who still hate any English version of Cloud and Sephiroth they hear despite sounding almost spot on for the work of their Japanese counterpart but I generally ignore the psycho branch of japanophiles and fanboys. :rolleyes2

Track record wise. SE has been doing a fairly good job. Hell, FFIVDS, FFT:WotL, XII, and even most of X have really good voice work. I wouldn't worry too much.

you do have some valid points...i'm still wary though but yeah, as i said, i'm still really excited about the game, i just hope they do it right

If Bartz was a pimp before... The fact that he can weild the Buster Sword AND Gunblade in both hands now makes him the the motherf'ing King of the Franchise.

Hey technically this game has more than 20 characters since there are summons and Luneth is Onion Knigth´s other costume.

I wish there was one or two secret characters, maybe Chaos and Cosmos are playable or are they just going to be big bad last bosses. I thought Gilgamesh was going to be secret character but he is summon.
    Lets not forget Cid isn´t seen anywhere but what is a FF game without Cid or Chocobo?

...Other than FFI.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't think we can count summons as characters. Though the Luneth thing does bring up something I've been thinking about. I do have a theory that their may be more characters, they are just costume swaps for existing characters.

Cecil's swords are more like a lance if you think about it so I wouldn't be surprised if Kain was a costume change for Cecil. Bartz using multiple swords makes me think Gilgamesh... Its a cheap way to add characters into a game but it should please most fans at least.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Omg, thats chaos.. *fangirl scream*
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I don't think we can count summons as characters. Though the Luneth thing does bring up something I've been thinking about. I do have a theory that their may be more characters, they are just costume swaps for existing characters.
    How would the job change (an intregal part of Cecil in Dissidia, it seems) work for Kain? I'm not saying I don't think you're right (I wouldn't put that cheap trick past Square) but that might be problematic. For that matter, it would be weird seeing Celes Morph or Seifer using Lionheart. Only time will tell, I suppose.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by arcanedude34 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    How would the job change (an intregal part of Cecil in Dissidia, it seems) work for Kain? I'm not saying I don't think you're right (I wouldn't put that cheap trick past Square) but that might be problematic. For that matter, it would be weird seeing Celes Morph or Seifer using Lionheart. Only time will tell, I suppose.
    Sadly, I don't think we would get anything special for the EX modes of characters in alternate character costumes. For instance, Celes would activate EX (Morph) mode and the game would treat her in that mode but she wouldn't actually get all glowing and esper-y. Basically, the thrills of the normal characters will be removed for the sake of playing as "alternate characters" but this is purely a theory with little basis.

in that case, im not really looking forward to some possible alternate characters ^^^ but ah well, they should be good (if they exist) for nostalgia's sake...