Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

It appears that Square Enix has designated Ultimecia as her own character as she appears in Dissidia: Final Fantasy. This appearance will likely reveal small bits of trivia that conflict with the Rinoa-Ultimecia theory due to its prevalence on the Internet.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

If it's true (assuming it is), I still can't find which piece of data from the game that implies his answer because there are so many pieces that makes the theory plausible and possible. I'm asking the thread poster this question.

FF7 was celebrated for 10th anniversary, since then SE has published a new "Final Fantasy VII 10th Anniversary Ultimania" book and it unraveled some new information about FF7 and its compilation that we haven't heard before. So in that logic, FF8 is almost on the 10 year milestone and it's understandable that he has corrected the theory just now. When FF8 reaches the milestone, it'd be interesting to see SQ publishing the new FF8 Ultimania book, but I doubt it some how.

If it's not true, then I honestly don't know what to say. Why would the developers lie like that? :rolleyes2
    Last edited by Serapy; 09-13-2008 at 03:07 AM.

your not seriously buyin that crap are you?

Didn't you ask the same question in one of the old threads before? I'm going to repeat:

Both R=U and R=/=U theories are possible. Both have no pure evidence, it's up to you to believe. Simply put.

I really don't know if the thread creater is lying or not. The point is that if it's a lie, then for what reason?

For fun presumably. It's clearly a joke topic anyway.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

At least make a 'translation' of what it says xD

Aww, you're so cute.

Super-Rad Recognized Member Spatvark's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Aww, you're so cute.
    Ooh, it thinks it's fooling us. Yes it does. Yes it does!~
    Seriously the best band in the world.
    And here's where I'll stay / For ten years and a day
    We're on a quest to find hidden treasure / And mystery on The Wild Sea

on the topic of rinoa......

Oh gods, why? ಥ_ಥ

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

wtflol.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

o:

A personal email, does not make an argument.

There is a compelling argument in support of one aspect of the R=U theory that involves the explanation of Ultimecia's ostensible vehemence against the world and all in it. Unlike the time sequence presented as canon in the actual story progression of the game, Rinoa, once confined in holding to stem the influence of witches in the world, remains there for an extended period of time. Her aging process thus slowed or even completely halted, her rescue is thwarted by her closest friends and she spends many, many years cursing her abandonment, cursing her captive state. Slowly, she is corrupted by her feelings of desperation; her virtue is weakened and the magic within her begins to degrade her, eventually cementing a new psychology of ire so profound that she is no longer Rinoa but rather Ultimecia. Some time in the future, an event occurs that sets her free from her prison (an event that can be argued to be hinted upon in the game) and she begins to plot her revenge.

However, she does not merely wish to punish the world now as she exists in it, but to punish the world forever, especially the past where she believes she was betrayed by her confidantes and brutalized by those who hate magic and witches. She hatches the plan of time compression and sets events in motion that come to dominate the plot of Final Fantasy 8. So corrupted is she by her hatred that she sees nothing worth saving anymore, nothing worth an ounce of compassion, even if she was capable of such a thing. Her 'possession' of Rinoa is a recognition of her former self, even if only on a subconscious level, a self that she now despises and loathes when set in contrast to the powerful being she has become. Nothing is sacred anymore. The world will pay for the death of her liberty; they will pay for their betrayal.

But this time, because of her intervention in the past, things change. Squall and company do rescue Rinoa, before she is lost to time. But things are too late. Time compression has already begun and Ultimecia is invulnerable to the effects of past or future. Understanding her identity with Rinoa is key to the brilliance of the game: It presents an ultimate story of vindication, an ultimate story of love when Squall is reunited with Rinoa and he disavows any prejudice against her regarding her status as a witch. He declares he will stand by her regardless. This time, she is not betrayed. This time, injustice and fear break against the rock of true love.

There are many things that I did not mention as far as practical possibility of the R=U theory goes. The above argument however addresses one of the central critiques in the theory. The R=U theory is that much stronger because it supplies a very clear and crisp motivation for Ultimecia's actions, as opposed to her just being a plot device.

Conclusion: R=U is likely or at least somewhat possible. Far from "highly unlikely." This should be changed since it perverts the game's beauty of subtle expression.

-Vost
    Last edited by Vost; 03-11-2009 at 05:04 AM.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Your theory has little to back it up I'm afraid. Their is no reference at all in the game itslef, of an alternate timeline that Ultemacia hails from in the story. No mention of any parallel time lines. In fact, Ellone makes it a point to explain that she learned that you cannot alter time. All her attempts only made the the events she wished to change come true. VIII's view of time and time travel for lack of any better explanation given by the story, the Ultimania, or even Square itself points to the fact that time is linear and unchangeable in the VIII Mythos.

The fact that Squall and SeeD's actions lead to Ultemacia giving her powers away and thus allowing her the ability to travel to this time period, due to actually having something connecting her to it. Her powers.

Ultemacia has very little back story but the best theory I've heard concerning her motive is that due to the public spectacle of the wars Adel and Edea brought in the past, the general public in her time may have hunted Sorceress' out of fear of history repeating itself. Thus coming from a future where she was hunted and hated for no reason, she lost her mind and decided the world was her enemy. Regretfully, this theory cannot explain how Ultemacia learned about Time Compression but that whole nonsense has always been ill defined in the game.

In fact, Ellone makes it a point to explain that she learned that you cannot alter time. All her attempts only made the the events she wished to change come true. VIII's view of time and time travel for lack of any better explanation given by the story, the Ultimania, or even Square itself points to the fact that time is linear and unchangeable in the VIII Mythos.
    I've never played FFVIII before so I really have no idea what any you are talking about, but if they were doing time travel in the manner of Lost (which is possible from that description) then not being able to alter the future wouldn't really preclude Rinoa from being Ultimecia, because "whatever happened, happened" - in other words, if a time traveller's actions alter the past, it's because the time traveller's actions were supposed to alter the past. Then again that might completely contradict other aspects of FFVIII's plot; like I said, I don't know.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)