Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Heroes

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Claire's Mama ain't dead either is she since she has fire powers, she must obviously be impervious to it and that other fire guy. Another question I have is why we never got see that black girl again you know who was with that little boy that could speak to computers like Braniac. She was interesting. Why can't the show give a black guy a significant role all we had was a shallow villain.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

She may be impervious to fire, but I'm not so sure she's impervious to a building collapsing on top of her.

The president is black, maybe he will have a big role. But I do think it's kind of messed up how they swept some of the minority characters under the rug.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

The Haitian is the only non-Asian minority character on the show after three seasons that has not been written off or killed.

The writers have a poor track record when it comes to minority characters. Every Hispanic character on the show has been killed by Sylar: Isaac, Alejandro, Maya, and Jesse. Maya was revived at the end of Season 2 only to be used as a sex object and damsel-in-distress in Season 3. Every black character on the show, with the exception of The Haitian, has been killed, written off, or cast as stereotypical extras like thugs and uncivilized people.

I am sure that the writers don't do this intentionally:

• Simone Deveaux, in the first season, was supposed to become involved with The Company in light of her heritage.
    • DL Hawkins, in the first season, was originally meant to be prosecuted by Nathan Petrelli - wrongfully convicted, he swears vengence on the man who sent him to prison. This would have established Nathan as more of a morally ambiguous character because DL was actually innocent of the crime of which he was accused.
    • Maya Herrera, in the second season, was originally meant to learn how to embrace her powers and finds a way to absorb the virus from others in the same way that Alejandro absorbed the effects of her ability from others.
    • Monica Dawson, in the second season, was originally meant to be pitted against Benjamin Knox. She, like Hiro, was a main character of the comic 9th Wonders! as a vigilante under the name of St. Joan.
    • Micah Sanders, in the second season, was originally meant to aid Monica Dawson in vigilante hunting. I think that it would have been cool if they got a brief story arc about going after the thugs who tried to leave Monica in a burning building resulting in Niki's death - who, also, was originally meant to survive the fire at the cost of regressing back into the Jessica personality or a new personality.

So, as you can see, these characters really were not able to build much of a fanbase due to internal or external events. I just find it annoying that we still have the same regular characters over three seasons and a rotating minority cast every season that seemingly gets thrown out for various reasons.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Why were those storylines scrapped?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

No one really knows. Simone Deveaux was an unpopular character in the run of first season because her character did not really do much as a woman without abilities in the middle of a love triangle. Also, they usually kill or write off any female involved in a romantic relationship on the show, anyway. Love never lasts on some shows.

I have no idea why the DL Hawkins vs. Nathan Petrelli storyline was scrapped. Maybe it was too convoluted? It was meant to get DL, Niki, and Micah involved with the other characters right from the start.

Monica Dawson, Micah Sanders, and Maya Herrera were all victims of the Writers' Strike. Volume 3, I think, was called Exodus and that was the point where those three would have a much larger role on the show with their own respective story arcs.

Hannah has probably told you that the original concept of the show was to feature an ensemble cast with some recurring elements and characters; likely, The Company, its founders, and the descendents were always meant to have a place on the show, but that was scrapped around the time when they cast Zachary Quinto as Sylar and decided to succumb to network pressure!

heres a question, completely irrelevant to what you're all saying. now that peter got his power back, will he have all his old powers or have to start from scratch and could fly cos nathan was around?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

Peter will have to receive all of his powers from scratch because there will be no time travel in the direction that the show is taking in the upcoming volume. If he had all of his old powers back, he would have Space-Time Manipulation, and it would defeat the purpose of ridding Hiro of his Space-Time Manipulation ability, too.

cool, i like it that way. after 3 volumes of "ok current events will lead to a big catastrophe, so someones gonna go back in time and change time" itd be good to just have a regular story where the characters are in trouble and we dont know what is in the future.

also if they continued the old way itd be kinda lame cos it started off as "new york blowed up" to "93% population dead" to "world split in half".. next itd be "omg universe exploded"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    No one really knows. Simone Deveaux was an unpopular character in the run of first season because her character did not really do much as a woman without abilities in the middle of a love triangle. Also, they usually kill or write off any female involved in a romantic relationship on the show, anyway. Love never lasts on some shows.

I have no idea why the DL Hawkins vs. Nathan Petrelli storyline was scrapped. Maybe it was too convoluted? It was meant to get DL, Niki, and Micah involved with the other characters right from the start.

Monica Dawson, Micah Sanders, and Maya Herrera were all victims of the Writers' Strike. Volume 3, I think, was called Exodus and that was the point where those three would have a much larger role on the show with their own respective story arcs.
    Ah hell is that why? I could've wrote a storyline for them no matter how little they payed me because I didn't have a job back then, just like I don't now.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    cool, i like it that way. after 3 volumes of "ok current events will lead to a big catastrophe, so someones gonna go back in time and change time" itd be good to just have a regular story where the characters are in trouble and we dont know what is in the future.

also if they continued the old way itd be kinda lame cos it started off as "new york blowed up" to "93% population dead" to "world split in half".. next itd be "omg universe exploded"
    I completely agree. The 'catastrophic future that only the heroes can save' formula is totally played. Of course, Ando can still take Daphne through time if they really wanted. :rolleyes2

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    He played Jesse, the sound guy who escaped from Level 5 and who Peter was trapped in for a short time. Sylar killed him.
    Ooh, okay.

I didn't actually watch Veronica Mars until after those episodes were over, so that's probably why I didn't notice.

Anywho, I have yet to see this week's and last week's episodes, but I have both currently tabbed in my browser...Will come back with what I think later.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

I was expecting something more epic for the last fight. They were close to injecting all of the...infantry? with the serum and instead (SPOILER)the only person who has powers barely uses it before dying. Arthur dies in the 2nd last episode and everything is left as a cliffhanger for season 4.

I actually had high hopes for Monica to be developed. She had a lot of potential in what she could do, and could have been a very powerful 'hero' if the writers had bothered to flesh out her character more.

Finally, I see the 4th season starting to feel like X-Men 3, the movie. Ugh.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

My only wish is that they stop the time-travel. -_- I mean, being able to 'paint the future' or whatever is one thing. Being able to actually go back and re-write history is just annoying and can effectively make everything that happens in Heroes into nothing in seconds, which I dislike a lot. I love that Hiro can teleport himself and others - that I have no problem with. It's the other stuff that sucks. The only time time travel is anything close to acceptable is when it's not under such complete control that Hiro has it under.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Didn't they rehire one of the guys in charge of the first season? I think I read that somewhere about a week ago and how he wants to change the formula back to what it once was, to avoid the constant confusing story mess that has been going on in the third volume with the work on the power granting super formula.

I'm kinda getting tired of the Sylar character, to be honest. I sort of understand his motives for doing what he has been doing, but they are kinda getting old. He has a good character and the actor portraying him is pretty brilliant, I just think they need to find a better way to put those to use rather than Sylar just killing everyone. I also hope Hiro doesn't fall to the wayside now that his powers are going but I don't really see how that will be done without damaging his character's integrity a little.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm tired of time-travel as well because it seemed that the visions Angela was having at the beginning of the show were pointless as the past and/or future was constantly being changed.
    Figaro Castle