Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ff skanks

ff skanks

is it just me, or are all the main girls in final fantsy really lame and "perfect"? are the makers so intent on creating the perfect girl that they totally forget to add personality or interesting character flaws into the equation? all the main character females seem to have the same personality, different look. they are all super girly, super flirty, quiet and shy, goody goody, annoying, oh-plz-save-me-form-the-evil-man, etc. they are all bland clones of eachother with nothing to distinguish themselves from eachother besides the game they were in.

i know you would say that "oh, rinoa tried to start a rebellion!" bull. she was so stupid she had to work with 2 other idiots. and only 2. they only thing she had going for her was money and status as general caraways daughter. her plan was fail. and any rebellion was washed away due to her being gah gah over squall.

seriously. what quirks do they have? none. aeris, rinoa, yuna, (im still determining rosa and ashe), etc. the only main female that had any substance to her was garnet. other than that, they are all braindead empty shells cast by the model of society. kinda like the dumb preps at school. rikku, yuffie, and selphie were all perky and had their quirks. quistis, lulu, and tifa were all tough little baddies who kicked ass and didnt care enough to even bother to take names later. whats so special about aeris, rinoa, and yuna? why dont they have a personality?

discuss
    Oh gods, why? ಥ_ಥ

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Unfortunately, as the main audience these games are developed for are younger men, the female characters are going to be developed in a manner that will attract as many of these customers as possible.
    Figaro Castle

Rinoa was hot.

They all have their quirks though.

Aerith, for example, while being a bit flirty, still held a kind of reserved and serious demeanor.

Rinao was far flirty, a didtz, and overall an idiot.

Rosa is easily the most nurturing of the the bunch.

Garnet was very Naive, lacked the flirty, however was somewhat crafty compared to the others.

This being said, Garnet was the only one of that lot I listed I really liked.

I found Aeris refreshing, (i played 7 after 10,8 and 9)
    shes funny, flirty and Comes up with the ingenius plan to dress cloud as a chick. She also asks questions about Tifa. she is aware that there is an issue there.
    They also wanted her for Soldier and her limits are legendary.

Unlike Rinoa who never questions Quistis's obvious attraction to Squall and just goes in for the kill, and is pretty weak in battle aswell.

The only thing i liked about Yuna was that she had David Bowie eyes.

Ashe is a legend, she's icy and tough and actually believable as a leader of a country. She has her dumbass moments ("Ballllthhhiiiiier" yeah Fran's there too bihatch and shes the one thats hurt.)
    but she also has an interesting dark side.

Yuffie is quirky, funny and a lil bit untrustworthy. But she's not always chirpy, she has emotion (when Aeris died and the ending of DOC when she is Vincent angsting)

Fran is in the role of the tough chick like lulu and Quistis. But she is witty and plays the damsel more often in FFXII, there are a few scenes where she is relying on Balthier to carry her and support her because of the mist and stuff. and theres the Pharos incident in which you see her vunerable side.
    shes not ur usual tough gal because she is a damsel at times as well, more so than Ashe and maybe even Penelo.
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

They all have very slight differences, I guess. As stated, Rosa is the most caring of this stereotype. Aeris was a little bit more playful, but (the way I took her character) weary, after growing up in the slums with the Turks always after her, and always hearing the cry of the planet, and losing her boyfriend. And being afraid of damned near everything (SOLDIER, the sky etc.)

Rinoa was basically a moron. The only way I can interpret her character was that Square thought that if she was a helpless moron, all the teenegers playing the game would have a sudden rush of hormones and love her (because game companies apparently think guys like girls who couldn't fight their way off a short bus filled with nuns)

Garnet was my favorite of the stereotype, as she had some other personality that stood on it's own. Garnet... is a collaboration of cliches that work. She the tender caring type, the independent sassy type, and both the rebellious reckless princess and the noble proud princess (for those who haven't played IX, trust me, it works) and I think she pulls it off brilliantly, since IX is a game of cliches from the concept.

Yuna is just another Aeris. Boring. I can't say I hated Yuna, but I felt a stronger preference for Lulu, and only had Yuna incorporated into my main party because of her white magic.

All in all, the only one I didn't like of the aforementioned was Rosa, because (imo) she was very thin and didn't have other defining qualities besides her "I love my friends" attitude.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I generally hate heroines in RPGs. Mostly cause 98% of them are the same (soft spoken, cheerful but sometime melancholic, "inner strength" cardboard cut-outs. Special powers the main villains wants are optional :rolleyes2). Many fall into this "Younger Rosa" archetype. What's worse is that most of them just cause problems for the party rather than bring anything meaningful to the plot. Its not even getting kidnapped that bothers me as much of it being them blindly running towards danger in hopes of "protecting everyone" and "showing their inner strength". Its pathetic and its been done to death. To this day, I dread hearing the phrase "I'm going to protect everyone" from the lips of the female lead. Why? Cause it means she is going to do something stupid and cause my party to race halfway cross the damn planet to save her sorry ass. At least Aerith broke the norm by actually getting killed...

This is why I love Lady Ashe, she is a bitch. She proves she can handle her own fights and she has inner strength by showing awesome leadership and resolve. She wants to save people but she is human enough to have her own selfish desires. I also liked Terra and Celes cause despite having traits of the Rosa Archetype, their stories never focused on its cliches and I felt their personal plots and motives; moved their personalities in a far enough direction to make them their own characters.

Lightening shows some promise but XIII is still too much of a mystery to say how she will stack up.

One of the many things I loved about FF XII was that there was no such stereotypical female-lead.

If there was a female lead in this game, it was Ashe and the first time we see her in-game, she holds sword and shield (:fencing while taunting a group of soldiers to come fight her. Fran is very wise, she also doesn't fall in the category of somewhat naive gal, neither does her big story evolve around her grand powers or her love for some guy.
    Penelo, though young, is not stupid. Vaan acted more like the irresponsible damsel than she did imo

Rosa was the first white mage and it was cool that she went after Cecil because she was concerned. She doesn't make any more grand-sacrificing gestures than most others in the cast.

The cast of FFV had Faris, which was just awesome. Don't want to spoil it for those who haven't played the game yet

Though Terra was the nurturing type, Celes clearly didn't like to play such a role (some of her quotes on that subject are great). Both of them showed great strength of character and played a vital role in the game without becoming cliche.

The love-triangle in FFVII was mostly played out in the first disc, so that it couldn't get too annoying. Aeris had a fun side, Tifa was tough.

The one who most annoyed me in this way was Rinoa. Her sole purpose before she met Squall was act like a spoiled teenager and after that to become his girlfriend. Before I played the game, I thought she would be a really cool-resistance type. What a let-down.

Garnet, though you have to save her quite a bit, was likeable. At least she didn't throw temper-tantrums and worried enough about her country to not spend her time chasing after the hero all the time.

Yuna was okay. but not much more. I would have liked her more, had I not seen a lot of the sacrificing female lead type before.
    Last edited by Crescennt; 09-23-2008 at 10:41 PM.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I always seem to forget about Faris for some reason... god she's such a great character. Too bad her sister is a drip...:rolleyes2

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I always seem to forget about Faris for some reason... god she's such a great character. Too bad her sister is a drip...:rolleyes2
    At least it was refreshing that she made the big sacrifices for a dragon, not to save the entire world

And yes, I wish Faris was a little better known, she deserves the same kind of popularity that Rydia has.

I also found Garnet being a healing heroine in love with the hero that needs rescuing but has a blossoming willpower very different from Yuna being a healing heroine in love with the hero that needs rescuing but has a blossoming willpower.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yuna, Terra, Freya, and Faris disagree with you.

Final Fantasy

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

titsorgtfo.

This topic actually made me roll my eyes more than once, but I must agree with Cresccent. The female characters in FFXII (aside from Penelo) were very independent. Princess Ashe, is probably the first Princess, in the history of the franchise, that isn't your typical, helpless, spoiled brat, and isn't afraid to get dirty and fight for her throne. I honestly think if Square wanted to make a movie, they should've done it with this one instead of Spirits Within. Cuz even Aki Ross had the same flavour to her that Wolf Kanno alluded to.

:fencing: <---my new favourite emote!!!
    Last edited by Cyric; 09-24-2008 at 04:58 AM.
    FFX-2 FMV's Upscaled and Filtered to 720p (link fixed)

The games I've beaten...

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | X-2 | XII

Quote Originally Posted by Cyric View Post
    This topic actually made me roll my eyes more than once, but I must agree with Cresccent. The female characters in FFXII (aside from Penelo) were very independent. Princess Ashe, is probably the first Princess, in the history of the franchise, that isn't your typical, helpless, spoiled brat, and isn't afraid to get dirty and fight for her throne. I honestly think if Square wanted to make a movie, they should've done it with this one instead of Spirits Within. Cuz even Aki Ross had the same flavour to her that Wolf Kanno alluded to.

:fencing: <---my new favourite emote!!!
    Lovely, isn't it?

I wish they'd make a FFXII movie, something like AC or even a prequel movie with Fran and Balthier as leading roles.