Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Silent Hill: Homecoming

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Default Silent Hill: Homecoming

I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this yet.

Basically I smurfing love this game. It's funny how simply adding the ability to dodge and roll added so much depth to the battle mechanics, as well as the combos and finishing moves. The combat is so brutal! I love the sound a metal pipe makes against a monster's head.

Also, the graphics are purrrrrrrrty, especially in HD. I'm not a big fan of the Otherworld transitions though, I think the Otherworld looked a lot cooler in earlier installments. The music and sound are good as always.

I didn't play too far in, but I've found a lot of connections to Silent Hill 2. (SPOILER)Sheperd being the main character's last name is obvious. I'm wondering if Adam is actually James? Also, the girl who speaks out of the hole in the door in the hotel I think may have been Mary. It sort of sounded like her, and one of the "memories" you gather for her talks about falling ill. Another talks about a row boat. Coincidence? I think not!

I think my favorite cinematic so far has been the introduction of Siam. The monsters in Homecoming are all pretty gruesome, but Siam is just too awesome.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Save your bullets for the Siam and Smog.

Instead of the Bosses like you would in a usual SH game D:!

I STILL can't play this ('cause I'm chicken~) xD! BUT I CAN WATCH A PLAYTHROUGH!

Gamefly spewed it into the mail today according to my inbox. Hopefully I get it Saturday. The reviews about this one have been very polarizing. I feel I will either hate it with passion or enjoy it a lot. I hope it's enjoy, obviously. So do all my friends -- they can't take listening to me bitch about it for the next 10 years!

I doubt I can dislike anything that has a creepy little boy in it. I mean, evil children are like my whole thing. I'm sure it'll be fine.

And thank God they finally did something with the gameplay.
    Last edited by LunarWeaver; 10-03-2008 at 07:34 AM.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can't help but feel like making the main character a soldier wouldn't take at least a little bit from the psychological horror that is silent hill.

Being a soldier makes it feel more like you have a chance, with a character who is trained in arms, and combat. As opposed to let's say Harry... Who's just Harry. A writer.

I dunno though. I'll still check the game out. They've all been good enough to at the very least merit a rental.

I'm waiting for the European release before I get it. I'm going into it with very little hopes so I shouldn't be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by erikramza View Post
    I can't help but feel like making the main character a soldier wouldn't take at least a little bit from the psychological horror that is silent hill.

Being a soldier makes it feel more like you have a chance, with a character who is trained in arms, and combat. As opposed to let's say Harry... Who's just Harry. A writer.

I dunno though. I'll still check the game out. They've all been good enough to at the very least merit a rental.
    I agree, it does detract a bit because you are very agile, but it's still got the smothering feel of Silent Hill.

What I wonder is how they're going to pull that off in the next game, because the combat has been improved a bunch except the whole premise of a "combat trained" character could get old fast.

edit: Maybe adding RPG stat development might be a neat idea?

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

xD... I was watching a friend who imports, play it yesterday.

I like how the character isn't silent when you come upon monsters... he'll actually say "wtf!" and stuff like that.

good evening, miss Tifa's Real Lover(really's Avatar

this game came out already!? *RENTS*

I would probably go play video games or have sex (the usual) - Nominus Experse

my mom would be like "ve? yo te dije, el internet no es bueno."

"seriously, my mom tells me "que tu hase en eso el dia entero?" and im like "mami yo toy hablando con people" xD. spanglish, ftw." ~ liz

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

According to the information I looked up on TRACK at work today for a customer, (TRACK is the HMV product database) the game has been delayed in the uk I got a date of boxing day for the uk...not sure if it's wrong or not but there is definitely some kind of hold up for the uk therefore people I'll ask on behalf of the PS3 owners (I do not own a ps3 and therefore don't care) that it would be nice of you to keep any plot spoilers marked since no one likes a game to be spoiled before they get it.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This comes out right before christmas in Europe, so until then.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I like watching people play through these games, I don't care enough to play them myself, but I've bought them all, so smurf it. xD!

Edit: I bought it and I'm scared skullskullskullskullless right now.
    Last edited by CimminyCricket; 10-04-2008 at 08:27 AM.

Europe gets it a the end of this month not on Boxing day. It doesn't really matter for PS3 owners anyway because the console is region free. I'm actually very tempted to just import the game but I'm trying to save my pennies. Just too many games coming out this month and I guess Silent Hill Homecoming isn't one of my top priorities.

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am so jealous of all you people being able to play it. Oh my god. >=(

I am fighting the temptation to look up every little piece of information I could possibly find on it so hard. Grrrr. *pouts in the corner*

But one thing: please tell me they haven't restricted your inventory again. I want to be able to carry more than 10 things for smurf's sake.
    --Box Box Box Box

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

You have two inventories. One has health items and key items and the other is weapons and your flash light and radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Cim View Post
    You have two inventories. One has health items and key items and the other is weapons and your flash light and radio.
    I enjoy this system. However, sometimes with melee weapons I forget that you don't press R2 to use them, instead you combo with X and square ... Siam killed me more than once because of this.