Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Games Throughout Our Lives

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

Dancing Chocobo Games Throughout Our Lives

The point of this thread is as follows:
    List and/or talk about the games throughout your life/childhood/existence that you have found to be incredibly interesting, lead you to certain elements of life or video games, thought were amazing, or somehow in some manner made a lasting impact on you. Pictures will help.

===================================================
    Nominus' List

3 years of age

This is where it began:

I was three. Most children of this age can't on the toilet right. I was one of these kids. However, I was still a kid that could play Super Mario Brothers... kind of. This is what introduced me to video games, as it likely is for most individuals.

6 years of age

The second game that captured my awe was Dragon Warrior III.

Dragon Warrior III also happened to be the first of many things, as seen in the following list:

Dragon Warrior III was the game that introduced me to RPGs. Nigh instantaneously, I was thunderstruck with excitement and zeal.

Additionally, this was the first game that showed me that games are another mode in which an intricate story of heroes, villainy, religious and philosophical ideas can all come together as a video game.

It also happened to be the very first game that required attentive care on my part with how I made decisions. I was used to seeing something, mashing A, B, or both and then praying that I won. Dragon Warrior was different, being an RPG, and it was an extraordinary change for me.

It was also the first game that caused me to wake as early as I could so that I could play it for hours prior to my mother coming down and requiring that I keep track of how long I played it (I had a game time limit of 2 hours per weekend... that I managed to stretch to around 16 without them knowing...).

10 years of age

The third game that captivated me was Master Blaster.

Master Blaster was absosmurfinglutely HARD when I was a wee lad of kindergarten, and to this day, that are areas in this game that make me rage like a lost child hooked on anabolic steroids.

However, even when smashing my face against the television screen (which I did actually do at one point when so incensed), I smurfing LOVED this game. It didn't matter that it would take me hours to get to level three, get to the boss, and then get immediately raped three times over, thus ending my continues. Maybe this game brought me a liking to pain and abysmal situations - it crafted a masochist out of me. I couldn't get enough.

I hadn't a clue why I was really following this frog pet of mine down this strange world. All I knew was that this was the first time, and only time, pink could be considered fansmurfingtastic.

:sophia: smurf YEAH, LOOK AT THIS ! ...but in the hands of a retarded child, it could only make it to level 5...

11 years of age

The fourth game that came around was orgasmic in every possible manner:

When I watch the Youtube video of the "Nintendo 64 Kid", I realize that I was the exact same way. I ran around the house screaming much of the same as the video recorded retard.

This game was the first one that brought me to a virtual world that could (kind of) depict an amazingly 3D setting in which I could interact with. I played the royal out of this game. If you could have sex with this game, I would have - I liked it that much.

12 years of age

The fifth game was one that made me think - or at least attempt such a thing. This game was Myst.

Myst was, in many ways, much like Dragon Warrior was to me when I first discovered it - just so completely novel in how it presented a gaming experience that I couldn't get enough of it. The intrigue of the two brothers Sirus and Achnar and those damned books was the first time I can recall truly becoming - obsessively, even - immersed in the game's storyline. What makes Myst so good as well, is that it then lead to Riven, which just blew me out of the water AGAIN.

15 years of age

I bought a PS2 specifically so I could play this game: Final Fantasy X.

I had played Final Fantasy I and IV as a child, but they failed to truly "hold" me. They probably couldn't because they didn't have the graphical prowess of the PS2, which allowed the characters and landscapes to be drawn in such a way that young teenagers like myself at this point could do nothing but consider playing the game just to see more of the story Lulu breasts and Auron's badassery. But FFX held me, and it was a vice that I could not loose myself from for a great length of time. Lulu's boobs may have had an effect. The numerous 800+ hour saves remind me of such.

I could talk about more of FFX, but instead I think I'll just reminisce on Lulu's breasts and tangled mess of belts...

17 years of age

And then that god damned addiction Diablo II and its expansion came along.

I can describe everything about me and Diablo with one simple comparison.

Diablo II = Similar to a crack cocaine addiction

17 years of age

And then Morrowind came along and I forgot to bathe, eat, see my girlfriend during a preset date (dinner and such), etc... Morrowind was and still is amazing to me, and I know for a fact that I have logged upwards of 2000 hours into that game.

18 years of age

God of War I & II.

Some aspects of this game ought to be laughable, but it didn't matter, because everything about was made to be impossible. But it was the type of impossible that made me say heartily and vengefully, HAH smurf YES.

The game play was suburb, the pacing nigh perfect, and the fact that it was able to interweave puzzle aspects with fast, hard-hitting, gratuitous violence was just amazing to me. I loved it - and still do.

And I mean, smurf, you (SPOILER)slay Ares. What's more kick ass than that? (SPOILER)Lulu's boobs...

18 years of age

Shadow of the Colossus

This is one of the few games that I could be completely lost/distracted, and not give an ounce of care. The game cast you into an environment that I felt was more intriguing then anything Myst or anything else had shown me, and this gave me such pause that I would sometimes simply rotate the camera around the hero in order to further take in the surroundings. And the fact that the game was masterful in its sound direction and ambiance was a huge plus for me, personally.

This is a game that I will forever keep close.
    Last edited by Nominus Experse; 02-20-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nominus, my dear lad, you have fantastic taste in games.

I can't remember much, myself. But I'll go through the important stuff. Mostly the various transitions from PS to Xbox, then back, then back again.

Firstly, I got a free PS1 from a lodger after he left. I spammed the crap out of Nuclear Strike. A while later, I bought FF9. I still own this game, and that PS1. I will get rid of neither. Along with FF7, but that was only bought a year or so ago.

So, time went buy, and I played many games. Apocolypse, Ape Escape, FF9 about 20 times from beginning to end, and many others. I can't remember when or why or how, but eventually I got a PS2. I must've saved like a bastard for that.

PS2 went buy pretty much the same as the PS1. Lots of games, can't remember much. After a yearish of PSing, Halo 2 appeared. I'd played Halo at my friends house, and thought it brilliant. But it wasn't worth getting rid of the PS2. I remember doing a tally of games for the Xbox and PS2, and deciding which I liked more. However, when Halo 2 came out (well, a year or so after actually) I traded in the PS2 and bought an Xbox. I simply didn't and don't have the money to have both.

Xbox was good. Fable and Halos blew my mind. Ish. Well, not really. But I'm onto a 360 now and I still have both. However, I got bored after a while, because the titles on the Xbox weren't all that special for me. So off went the Xbox, and back came the PS2.

The second PS2 marked the beginning of the time which I like to call "The Golden Age". FF12, Okami, Shadow of the Colossus were all played and kept for a very long time. Like Nom, I would just ride around and look at things of SotC. However, Halo 3 came out, and I had already been mesmerised by the Halo story.

So, onto a decision I still partially regret. A few months ago, off went the PS2 and games. Fair enough. Easily rebuyable. But, alas, in my frenzied excitement for getting the 360, and the fact that my tiny little wallet was crying, I also traded in the memory card. I kept that memory card when I bought the first Xbox, so I don't know why the buggery I got rid of it this time. Dumbass.

Anway, I'm still with the 360 and I'm happy. Lost Odyssey, the Halos, some old Xbox games, Force Unleashed, Oblivion, The Darkness and Ass Creed keep me satisfied. Actually that's a lie. Lost Odyssey and Oblivion keep me satisfied long term, whereas the others are a quick bang at the local or something. I just keep forgetting to trade in the others.

Blog Entries

I just know that my first game was Super Mario Bros.

Blog Entries

199? - Stunt Car Racer on my parents' Amiga 500

Can't remember bugger all about this apart from playing it so much that the Amiga actually broke

i used to think that the sound of the engine was somebody screaming

{large gap where i never had a games console}

1998 - V-Rally for PS1

First game I played properly. Still haven't completed it. By today's standards this is the worst driving game ever, but it was pretty fun at the time

hard right medium left easy right jump

1999 - Star Wars: Episode 1 for PS1

Holy skullskullskullskull this game is smurfing awesome simply because of the amount of bugs, glitches, and retarded dialogue. Srsly, I was even playing it earlier today.

these races bore me to death. i come here for just one thing

1999 - Age of Empires II

One of those games that never gets old as long as you have the option to create randomised maps

BUT WAIT! THE ENGLISH ARE ANGRY THAT YOU DESTROYED THEIR OUTPOST! THEYRE COMING TO ATTACK YOUR VILLAGE!

2000 - Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear for PC

Probably the best of all the R6 games in terms of depth and possibly gameplay.

the only mission i just cannot complete is the one in the opera house. god damn that's probably up there with the hardest levels of all time

2000 - Final Fantasy IX

Hi guys

by the gods

2001 - Rollercoaster Tycoon for PC

One of those lazy sunday afternoon games, but it was so addictive it soon became an early monday morning game. Play it and lose sleep

your park has recieved an award for 'most dangerous park in the country!'

2004 - Star Wars: Battlefront for PS2

Pretty neato. Literally spent around a year playing this every day.

they've captured the carbon freezing chamber

It brings a tear to my e-eye
    Last edited by Old Manus; 10-06-2008 at 10:38 AM.

there was a picture here

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Somewhere around 1986/87 my Dad came home with a Nintendo system and The Legend of Zelda. I spent the next month watching in amazement. After he had beaten it I started to play and it was completely wonderful. It showed me everything any video game in the future could be. Not many people can say they beat The Legend of Zelda when they were five.

After that it was a long time before any game held me the way Zelda did. There were plenty of good NES games that I liked over the years, included of course Zelda: The Adventures of Link. Then sometime in the mid-90s a friend of mine introduced me to Wing Commander: Privateer on the PC. Man, that game was awesome. I spent countless hours playing through that game enjoying my space adventures.

Not too long after that the same friend brought over FF1 one night. I was in seventh grade. I had played through Dragon Warrior I a few times before but it just seemed okay to me. This game did everything Zelda did so many years ago. I would wake up early to play before school. I would stay up late in the basement playing it. It was fun.

Somewhere in there my cousin had this game called Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games. You basically hire mercenaries and then go out and perform missions. I asked my Mom to get me it for Christmas shortly afterwards and she did. I spent many weekends playing the crap out of that game and still play it from time to time.

When I was in 8th grade I moved in with my Dad. Shortly after that we got a computer. It came with Duke Nukem 3D. That was my pretty much the beginning of me playing first-person shooters along with Doom shortly before then. I mention Duke Nukem 3D here mostly because it started my playing games over the modem. My cousin also had the game and we would play it with each other all the time, along with whatever mod we downloaded for the game. I also started playing Jagged Alliance online with him.

The next game that really caught my attention was Warcraft 2. I never really got into Warcraft but the same cousin had the game and it was fun so I asked my Dad to buy it for me. I then spent so much time playing through all the levels. I don't think I ever beat all the missions without cheating. I would also play this game over the modem with a friend from school.

The next year was when Diablo came out. I was a freshman in high school Once again my cousin talked about it a lot so over at his house I played it and it was awesome. I then didn't eat lunch at school for two weeks so I could save up enough money to buy it. I played it every day after school until I went to bed. I think my parents worried because I played it so much. That cousin and I had a two-person clan that we played on Battle-net and everyone who ever met us grew to hate us. Oh man, I miss those days of Battlenet v1.4!

After that, no game has really captured my imagination so much that I remember, except in early 2007. Jump to 2007 and that was the first time I play Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. I went through that game so many times with so many combinations to do so many different things. I think I'll replay that soon.

I'll see if I can come up with something like that. :P

I also want to make a colossal post nobody will ever read. Now with extra colossal.

My first was Zelda. What adventurous music it was. Being so small and stupid, I always thought Link's name was Zelda, even though that makes no sense.

I had some Castlevania in my day. Simon fooled me into thinking whips were easy to use. They are not.

I never played Mario much. Mario is for deaf people who poop themselves. I owned a Sega Genesis and not a SNES. I played much Sonic. Pretty much all of them on the system. Though I did abuse my cousin's SNES at times. Yay Street Fighter II.

Mortal Kombat games taught me violence is acceptable. It also taught me that, given the choice, I always pick the female, my brother makes fun of me, he picks the male, and then I win. Picture... not representing that too much.

Then my dad bought us a Sega CD. I played the one Sonic game on it. It's too shameful for a picture.

I got a Playstation like an intelligent human being after that. I played a zillion gabillion games. That number is not made up. YOU'RE made up. Think about that one when you shower. Anyway, some chief ones:

Resident Evil. I loved being bitten by a zombie and watching more blood than the human body even contains fly out and disappear. I loved how Jill and Chris had different stories. I loved they held the combat knife in different ways. Back then everything was magical and interesting to me. Oh, to be 10-years-old... I went on to play all the Resident Evil games that mattered. I bought a Dreamcast for the sole reason of playing Resident Evil: Code Veronica. Then I learned "exclusive" meant "exclusive for 5 minutes then ported".

Then the biggie! Final Fantasy VII when I was 11 (lol rhyme). This game taught me that stories and characters in video games could be awesome. It totally blew me away. It was my first RPG too. I will always remember my jaw dropping the first time I got out of Midgar and realized there was an entire world out there, not just one city. I still love VII to this day. Now remember back then there was not the fanboy battles and all the idiocy, just pure fun and enjoyment. I was also just getting old enough that boys made my face red, and I do believe Cloud was my first video game crush. Which is so sad since he's not only fictional but basically a block. Hey, I didn't have much to work with. This made me a huge fan of the series, and I rushed out to get all subsequent games except XI. I did eventually play VI, but never beat any beneath that. I also bought Chrono Chross and Xenogears only because Squaresoft was on the cover.

Ah, Tomb Raider. I loved you so. I have gone on to play all of them if you can believe it. Even Angel of Darkness. Jesus Christ. She was cool and I was cool with her. The moving ponytail in II up enthralled me like a circus. Like I said, as a kid I was easily impressed.

Then my dad bought me Tenchu over Metal Gear Solid. It wasn't awful, but Ayame ran like a goose-monkey and in general it wasn't great either. To wash the taste out of my mouth, I bought Metal Gear Solid for myself. And by that I mean mom did when I begged her. Like Final Fantasy VII, it made me realize games could be an art form that surpasses even movies. This also granted me the patience to sit through long cutscenes without any beef about it. I went on to play 2 and 3, equally impressed, and have yet to play 4. I'm sure I will someday.

Silent Hill. The first game's skullskullskullskullty graphics actually enhanced the fear. The first time I ran down that alley, the light fading away little by little, a bunch of children with knives or something coming out to kill me... That's some good eats, cowboy. I went on to love 2, 3, tolerate 4, and I have 5 in the mail coming.

Diablo. Ohhh Diablo. My brother's friend stole this from the store and then gave it to us. I played it obsessively. Mmmm~ Diablo II took up even more of my time, and then the expansion pack even more of my time. Diablo II has soaked up about 90% of my life. I had a hardcore group of friends when it came out. Then I quit and went back to it, then quit, and finally went back when EoFF did. It all provided me with much lol.

Final Fantasy X is getting a picture even though I mentioned I played it. Because it's just that smurfing fabulous. It remains my favorite game to this day.

Somewhere in here I bought a Gamecube and played some stuff, but who cares about that.

Back to important things. I covered a lot of Ps2 games while saying "I went on to play..." But allow me to aim for Kingdom Hearts. You hooked up with Donald and Goofy to whack heart-consuming creatures with a huge key and occasionally talked to people like Cloud and Winnie the Pooh. It was quite frankly the dumbest thing I've ever seen, and I was in love with it. I also loved II :}

Xenosaga. I was so obsessed with these games. I joined a forum and talked about all kinds of theories forever. They aren't perfect, but I overlooked flaws for the greater delicious. I am sad they didn't sell better.

The 360. This opened up quite a few games I'd skipped over. I got to play KOTOR finally. I was a Sith prick and destroyed everything possible. Jade Empire. I was nice in that one. Halo 1 and 2. Some other stuff I've probly forgotten. I also played tons of 360 games. Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Tales of Vesperia, Call of Duty 4, Gears of War, blah blah. I did eventually play the much anticipated Halo 3. Going online was a bad decision for me. I got yelled at a lot for being awful by strangers. A lot. I don't take being yelled at very well, and much thumb sucking occurred. I wanted to play with others on my friends list, but felt guilty for being bad at the game, leading to me wanting to play with them and also wanting them to leave at the same time. Overall it turned me into an insane pregnant woman and I sold it before everyone hated me completely.

And so my 360 days continue. I will continue to play it until it breaks down or explodes or whatever. It happens to all of them eventually. When it does, I will buy another one instead of a Wii. I am like that.
    Last edited by LunarWeaver; 10-06-2008 at 09:17 AM.

1993 - Sonic the Hedghog

Well my brother had owned a Megadrive since 1990 but I had never really gotton into the system. It wasn't till around 1993 that I matured a little and began to appreciate the system. While not the first video game I'd played, Sonic the Hedghog was definitely the first game I'd invest serious amounts of time into. The first three games are easily the fondest memories of gaming I have. Because back then we weren't buying games often so we stuck with the Sonic games. I must of literally beaten all three titles well over a dozen times each.

1994 (ish) - Phantasy Star II

My first RPG and probably still the best. This game toughened me up as a gamer and the sheer hours just grinding certainly helped me gain a lot more patience with other RPG's later on. One of those games I can't see any flaws in. Its a very basic RPG by todays standards and a hell of a lot tougher but because everything is done flawlessly It pulled me through to the end. Despite my love for this game its one I could probably not go back to now.

1995 - NiGHTS Into Dreams

Moving on from the Megadrive we went and bought a Saturn. Despite the generally opinion that the system failed I actually have some of my fondest memories on the system. The most glaring one is NiGHTS which at the time seemed like the most visually amazing game ever made. It was one of those games that saved me money as I didn't have much incentive to buy many other games around that time.

1998 - Tekken 3

I bought a Playstation around 1997 and unfortunately missed out on Tekken 2. I had played other fighters such as Street Fighter 2 but still hadn't allowed the fighting genre to fully take over me. So when I got around to playing Tekken 3 my life changed forever. I had never obsessed over a game like Tekken 3. Me and my brother literally put our lives on hold to play Tekken 3. The swift reflexs of my youth meant I got incredibly good at the game. I wasn't a man when playing the game, I was a god. Thats what happens when you put in around 300 hours into a single game.

1999 - Sonic Adventure

Ahhh yes, another Sonic title. This one maybe not as widely praised as the Megadrive ones but just as revered by me. This came with my Dreamcast and I couldn't get enough of it. The corny dub and trashy theme song for each character added even more charm to the game in my opinion. But the stage music is just plain awesome. Some of my fondest moments in the entire franchise dwell in this game. The Lost World stage has to be one of my all time fondest moments in gaming. Ill always defend this game from the Sonic haters till I die!

2000 - Deus Ex

Despite having acquired a taste for only RPG's and fighting games at this point it was sheer luck that I got around to playing Deus Ex. We had recently upgraded our computor and to take advantage of this I took the oppotunity to start buying some PC games. Nearly all of them first person shooters. I had Serious Sam, Half Life and all the Quakes and literally taking a shot in the dark I picked up Deus Ex as well. I had never experienced a game like Deus Ex so at the time I was blown away. The music, atmosphere and story all had me glued to my PC. Cannot name a single fault in this game. Perfect.

2006 - Shenmue

One of those games I was very late to the party to. Despite owning a Dreamcast since 1999 I never owned Shenmue till 2006. And it turned out to be one of the biggest joys to play. I sometimes regard this as my guilty pleasure game as in all honesty, it isn't terribly good. The controls are awkward and broken, the dubbing is atrocious and the last act simulates you doing a fork lifting job. Oh and it had one of the worst final bosses in any game ever. But in an unholy act of god, all this comes together to be oh so satisfying. I wouldn't change this game in any way.

2007 - Virtua Fighter 5

Probably the most satisfying fighter I had played since Tekken 3. I sunk an unthinkable amount of hours into this one. I was a fan of the series since Virtua Fighter 3 but it wasn't until now that I finally nailed the intricacies of the series and became really really good at the title. With the fighting genre slowly dying this game almost felt as though it was my swan song for the genre. Perfect in every way that I almost feel there is no need for another fighting game to be made.

And that about wraps things up. While I may have the staus as some kind of Sony devotee I am a Sega man through and through.
    Last edited by Dreddz; 10-06-2008 at 01:50 AM.

I'll bite.

1990: Birth of a Nerd: Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord / Destiny of an Emperor

The two games that started it all. While most people my age started out with Final Fantasy or Super Mario, I started out with these two gems. The level of difficulty found in both of these games is something I admired as a child and, while I have never beaten either of them, they continue to provide hours of entertainment and joy to this day.

1995: A Return to the Norm: Final Fantasy IV

Between the years of 1993 and 1994, I rarely played games. This was a result of both my Nintendo and my Super Nintendo (along with around 250 games altogether) being stolen from my family by a "friend". However, I recovered from that heart-wrenching tragedy and continued on with Final Fantasy IV. This game single-handedly rekindled my interest in gaming (an interest further fueled by Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, and Wizardry V: Heart of the Maelstrom). I played this single game more often than any other at the time and managed to beat it, despite plenty of setbacks (in the guise of fat stupid siblings). By this time, my whole heart belonged to RPGs and I knew I was in love for the very first time. Unfortunately for me, outside influences would make it difficult to continue that love for a few more years.

1995 - 1996: Self-imposed Exile, AKA: Revenge of the Stupid Brothers

smurf this system and all of it's gaming library. During the time between 1995 and 1996, two different systems were released: The Nintendo 64 and the Playstation. My mother, with her infinite wisdom, decided to give three pre-pubescent morons a choice between the two. My brothers, always jumping at a chance to make my life an absolute pain, leaped at the chance of getting a Nintendo 64. I, of course, wanted a Playstation. The N64 had absolutely no appeal on me, the gaming library was horrendous and the controller looked like a drunk, retarded monkey designed it (which, admittedly, would've been a selling point had it been true). Regardless, 2-against-1, we were the proud owners of a Nintendo 64. I grudgingly played through games like Super Mario 64 and Goldeneye, the latter providing me with a certain degree of joy while I played my revenge.

Late 1996 - Early 1997: A different kind of gaming: Heroes of Might and Magic II

With my brothers scheming against me and spending their time with the loathsome Nintendo 64, I began to take interest in PC gaming, starting with Heroes of Might and Magic II. It was different than my previous experiences with gaming and it provided more control over my gaming habits. I played it for hours on end, building up massive armies just for fun.

1998: The Internet, Diablo, and You

Continuing my interest in computer gaming, I turned to Diablo. It was also my introduction to the online world and I made quite a few friends from around the world during this time. I played it almost addictively and managed to slay Diablo several times both on and offline, as well as maintain a well-geared warrior. I continued to play Diablo for several years, on and off, while I ventured back into the console world of gaming.

2001 - 2002: It's never too late: Soo-ee-ko-din?

Yes, I know the Playstation was released years before. Yes, I also know that around this time the Playstation 2 was making it's debut. Blame my brothers for my very, very late return to console gaming. Suikoden was probably the best thing to ever happen to me in regards to gaming. I stumbled upon it completely by accident on Amazon.com and begged my mother to buy it for my birthday. She eventually broke down and made the purchase which led me to find my favorite series of all-time. I eventually found, and bought, Suikoden 2 in a random act of luck. Both of these games remain two of my favorites.

2003 or: How I Learned to Stop Buying and Research the Game

Don't get me wrong, I despise the game and always will, but I would be lying to omit it from the story of my gaming life. It was my first Playstation 2 game ever and profoundly effected my stance on buying games without first researching them, a practice I still adhere to. That is all, move along.

2004 - 2006: The Affair

I continued playing Playstation and Playstation 2 games steadily throughout 2004 and 2005, mainly RPGs, but very few sparked my interest like those in the earlier days of gaming. So, when a friend of mine demanded that I purchase World of Warcraft, I jumped at the chance. I had never played an MMO before and had little idea what to do in the beginning, but with his knowledge, I flourished and eventually began understanding what I needed to do (after all, how hard is it to collect 8 Goretusk Livers?)

And that is where I am today. This took way too long and I am regretting typing it all out the way I did. Hope you enjoyed the peak into my boring life.

P.S. My character is completely hammered in that WoW screenshot.

I am far too apathetic to write little anecdotal blurbs with each one. But a Google Image search, now that I can do.

(facepalm)

Yeah so I put quite a few there. Thank God I didn't write for any of them.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I was once a fragile and cruel little boy. But the times have changed me. I am just simply pure evil now.

1990-1997: Hello Helicopter, are you here to stay? Maybe you'll make my life a living hell.
    It began with the NES. I don't ever think it was mine, considering that from what I can remember, there was always two of them. One at grandma's and one at home, connected to this godforsaken, broken TV with bad colors. It was like, always yellow, and the outer lining was purple. It sucked, but alas the days of TV damage from video games was long lived.

But, I had a gun. I was hard. Shoot damn things all on the screen, hold it sideways, and let the sound break your ears. And the television screen when they got too fast.

If I didn't want to play with that, I picked up a sword and went to town on some ninjas. Or I dropped marbles into the deep abyss below. I still can't get past Stage 4.

1997-2002: Hello Helicopter, will you be my friend? Will you let me catch 'em all?
    But eventually, I got exactly what I wanted, and it was something I liked to call the N64, only the greatest invention known to man. And I played. I didn't stop. I can even remember most of the games in order of how I got them. Well, I tried, but the only ones that matter are the first two. Yeah, I played Mario Kart, I played Goldeneye, and even Perfect Dark, where I would just get the turret guns and hide in the small building in the middle of the arena with my cousins, raking in the kills. But they aren't quite the same.

Physics is scary. In fact, I'm even listening to the Wizpig race song on eternal loop.

1600+. Corneria, Meteo, Katina, Sector X, Macbeth, Area 6, Venom hard-route. Can't be done any other way. 176 + 303 + 177 + 253 + 158 + 377 + 227. Final score, the top of my engineered feats (on Normal Mode).

And then there were Pocket Monsters. On the N64 and on paper. Fighting. Hello, Transfer Pak. Nothing more needs to be said.

1998-2000: But I have a mistress now. And she's a real bitch.
    Call her PeeCee. Long did I play, obsessively and long into the day. The opportunities I would steal away from my sister's computer were the best ones. Eventually I got my own computer, and all I could run was those two games. It didn't have space for anything else.

I met Age of Empires I and II and their expansions in this time. Creating maps that would always be terribly in my favor, abusing the Mirror Towers, and make myself impenetrable fortresses. My first stint of online gaming came from the Demo versions; I remember how to do the Hittites mini-campaign that came with it, and how NOT to spend gold. Chariots, yes, please. Something like this, but think more epic. And cliffs.

1998-2006: Blizzard storms. Close the door or else you'll let the heat out.
    1v1 lotr sd, ill be mordor ggnormkthxbai
    soj ft
    sex 4 godly
    7v1 compstomp no bs ally alert nigz
    korean defense no n00bs
    coa 4 anni+10hr
    Ko + Vex + Pul + Thul
    Ber + Mal + Ber + Ist

No images required. In fact, there's quite a few people at EoFF who know just how much of a jerk I can be when gaming.

2002-2007: And this one time, at bandit camp...
    Consoles again. That is, while I wasn't busy getting my ass kicked online more pew pew less qq, I started playing the FFs with a knowledge that this was a good series to play. Then FFX-2 and FFXII came out. Dropped it: skullskullskullskull sux dun watch. smurf anachronisms. Then KHII came out. At first I was all like

But then I was like

But then I went

2007 and on: Dig deep. Don't dive. The pool is only 17 meters down.
    I pretty much only play DotA (WCIII) and Median (DII), now. How far I've fallen. Yeah, I know, I'm an ass.

There are way too many "significant" games in my little timeline so I'm not going to do one. I'll say I played Super Mario Bros. in 1988 when I was 3 and I've loved video games ever since. :P

I don't have the time or the patience to write about video games that I've played a lot. I'll just go play them.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Well, let's see. The first game I ever recall playing was some Bandai Golf Challenge Pebble Beach for NES when I was two or three (1992-1993). Soon after that was the obvious: Super Mario Bros. I loved this game to death when I was a kid. From 1993-1997, I pretty much always played Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, and 3, and Tetris, Dr. Mario, Legend of Zelda/Adventure of Link, Donkey Kong, etc.

Somewhere in between there I met a game which still has a special place in my heart to this day.

Kirby's Adventure. Oh hell yes. This was easily my first true favorite game. (Ironically, I didn't 100% complete it until about 5 years ago.)

Even when I got a Super Nintendo in oh, 1996? I still preferred the NES.

Around 1997-ish, I was introduced to a game that sparked my now-fading obsession over RPGs. That game was....

Dragon Warrior! It's easy to say I was obsessed with it.

Then I met Super Mario RPG, which was my favorite game for quite a while. I also adored

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. Touch fuzzy, get dizzy. Good times ensued.

Then the Nintendo 64 came out and I got my hands on games like Super Mario 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo-Kazooie, and

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Now, I had played Zelda games before this, and I liked them. However, after I played Ocarina of Time, my perspective on the whole series changed, and I still find the series to be very near and dear to me today, even if all of the releases Ocarina of Time have felt lackluster in comparison.

Then came the year that made me fish out my old green Game Boy Pocket from the dusty bottom of the bottom drawer. 1999. I finally decided to jump on the bandwagon (everyone else was playing it!) of

Pokémon. I was absolutely obsessed with the series-- playing every single version when they came out, getting every card I could (I had 2 Charizard cards at one time), etc. This went on for a very long time. I'm still a big fan of Pokémon. Jump to 2002.

Kingdom Hearts. The game that introduced me to Final Fantasy. This game was the one I played during a very rough time in my life (I got it for Christmas 2 days after my parents divorced) and found comfort in. It's still a very special game to me, and I'll never get rid of it. But because of the memories behind it, I find it hard to play without feeling sad or bitter. However, this opened me up to Final Fantasy in general, and if it wasn't for Kingdom Hearts, I likely wouldn't be here on this forum today. My Final Fantasy obsession lasted until 2006-ish, and then it slowly began to die. I still like the series in general, even if I don't like any of them since FFVI. Final Fantasy X was the first Final Fantasy I ever played. Anyway, around 2004, I started getting into other random RPGs, one of my favorites being

Tales of Symphonia.

Then came late 2005. I set almost all console games aside. I took a hiatus from EoFF. I dropped everything for

Ragnarok Online. I was never very good at it due to my lack of patience and hatred of grinding (the picture in the link is a bad representation of how I was, because I never even transcended (rebirthed, whatever)), but I used to know that game in and out. Then I found out how much the server I was playing on sucked, and I left when I was banned. However, it's easy to say I was addicted to it, and I loved playing it, even if it turned me into a lifeless zombie for hours on end. I was pretty inactive here at EoFF from September '05 to December '06.

Around 2007, my liking for long games faded, and I'm very much a casual gamer these days. My favorite game that I played in 2007 was probably...I would have to say

Trauma Center! It's still one of my favorite games now.

2008. This year.

Do I even need to say it? It's the Project Touhou series! (That picture was taken by me, by the way.) This series sparked my interest in shmups altogether, which are like the ultimate casual games, since they only last a short time, but have lots of replayability value.

And that's just a summary.

EDIT: I totally forgot Ragnarok Online!
    Last edited by Momiji; 10-06-2008 at 05:28 AM.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    There are way too many "significant" games in my little timeline so I'm not going to do one.
    Yeah, geeze. Maybe I'm just overly sentimental but a ton of games have been significant to me. It'd take way too long to do a write-up like that.