Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uber moves

Default uber moves

What i'm talking about are moves like meteor or aim 20 or zodiak or like, any of cloud's 'soldier' moves...what's the point of including these extremely powerful moves in a game if they take so long to cast/perform? i like to learn all of these moves to master the class, but they take so much JP and you never use them because of their cast time...and if i choose to immobilize the enemy, they're usually free by the time i cast it anyway (34 turns for Aim 20 is ridiculous)...

which brings me to my second question, if somebody is immobilized and you successfully cast immobilize on them again, will the amount of turns they're immobilized for reset? or will it just have no effect?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can't say for immobilize (though I think it resets as long as its a successful hit) but there are ways around the long cast time for uber abilities. Short Charge (Quickness in the PSP version) is the most recommended way. I'll let someone more knowledgeable tell you better options

This is why Calculators are the uberest characters in the game. :P They can cast any spell from anywhere on the map (as long as the Math skills line up correctly) immediately for no MP cost. :P

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    This is why Calculators are the uberest characters in the game. :P They can cast any spell from anywhere on the map (as long as the Math skills line up correctly) immediately for no MP cost. :P
    Yeah but they can't use summons or cast Meteor. Which are some of the uber spells I think the thread starter is talking about. You also forget that the Calculator class has some serious pitfalls that makes just getting the basics for the class a tedious endeavor...

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Cloud's best move is actually Finish Touch, which causes some great status ailments. Omnislash and Cherry Blossom are rarely worth the bother. Ditto with Meteor and the other top-tier black and white magic.

Short Charge combined with Haste is the best way to deal with long waits. You can also raise speed with Yell, Scream, Setiemson (females only), Excalibur, Cheer Song, and Masamune.

For the record I love Math Skills. I only master the prerequisite classes long enough to get the spells and I almost never go back to that class afterwards.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I recall reading that the purpose of Charge + 20 is to immobilize the opponent with Don't Move or Stop in order to inflict heavy damage several rounds later.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

but even when you manage to hit somebody with Aim +20, the damage is minimal (compared to other uber moves), so i don't see the point in it at all, you could probably do just as much damage by constantly attacking in the turns you would have had to wait for the Aim +20 to charge...i can't say the same for meteor because i've never bothered to use it on the psp version :rolleyes: i've also given up on Cloud in this game...in the PSX version i tried to train him up, but it's really not worth it

oh, while i'm here (i know this is off topic), when you play multiplayer, are the chances of you getting the Onion equipment very slim? Is it random or is there something specific you have to do?

Contributions

Also consider Aim +20 is 35 clock ticks, which gives it an attack speed of 100 / 35 = ~3. So you you would actualy have to use two+ of your characters turns to complete the attack.

If you have a speed of 9 you can use Aim+5 3 times in the time you could use Aim +20, which is far more damage for virtually any weapon setup except unarmed.

When it comes to Summons, the casting time doesn't matter because you can just stick it on the enemy, and it will follow them where ever, and won't hurt allies.

With Cloud's moves, I think they're mostly for FF7 vets to enjoy.

Meteor is a mystery to me. There are way better things you could do with that amount of time. It does look cool, though.
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Click here to hear a few of my songs.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

If the game had a greater difficulty, I could see the use of Charge + 20 to pierce the defense of an opponent.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Contributions

Pierce the defense of the opponent? Last time I checked there was no Def stat in FFT, and as far as I know Charge doesn't help you get around their evade at all.

As for Summons, sure you can lock the Summon on your enemy, but if he gets to move before the summon goes off, your Summoner will be 4 panels away, and take 1.5x damage, an insta-kill from most monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by BG-57 View Post
    Cloud's best move is actually Finish Touch, which causes some great status ailments. Omnislash and Cherry Blossom are rarely worth the bother. Ditto with Meteor and the other top-tier black and white magic.

Short Charge combined with Haste is the best way to deal with long waits. You can also raise speed with Yell, Scream, Setiemson (females only), Excalibur, Cheer Song, and Masamune.

For the record I love Math Skills. I only master the prerequisite classes long enough to get the spells and I almost never go back to that class afterwards.
    while i agree with the maths skills being awesome, you could never actually keep an arithmetician/calculator in your party; that class is just terrible...they're impossible to train because they're so slow, it's ridiculous...to combat this, i usually send them on errands until that class is mastered, then always have it as my second skill set while i master the other mages, etc.

Contributions

That's why I said Math Skills, not Calculator.

yeah i know, sorry, it was just that you said you mastered the prerequisite classes and never went back to them, which i thought meant that you kept them as an arithmetician

Contributions

What I meant was the prerequisite classes for Calculator: Black Mage, White Mage, Time Mage, and Oracle. I never go back to those classes after getting the spells. Once I master Calculator I also never go back to that, but Math Skills are my secondary skillset of choice.