Thread: Hand-Drawn Pixels

Banned

Default Hand-Drawn Pixels

So I was looking through my desk drawer last night, and was wondering what to do with it. Nothing came to mind, so I shelved the question for later. Later on I was browsing the net and came across this: Megaman Quilt. Suddenly, the graph paper thing clicked. I'm hand drawing pixel art. I want to draw skullskullskullskull from current gen games, as 8-Bit renders on graph paper. That sounded a bit hard, so I started small, and wound up using the quilt as a reference to draw this:

Nothing really impressive, just copying an image down to paper. Next, I decided to try something more difficult. I wanted to do Hero from Lufia and the Fortress of Doom.

16-Bit reference, next to my 8-Bit render.

And, the hand-drawn version:

At a friend's suggestion, now that I'm comfortable in a 16-Bit space, I'm going to take on something complicated, like Terra in her Magitek Armor.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

That's neat! I like pixel art, so as far as this is concerned, it's an interesting variation. I'd like to see more.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Nice, you should try to do the same using Bindeez.
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

man, I used to do this for my nanopet all the time xD

I can't wait until you start doing snes game sprites

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Those are sweet!

And

placeholder_text.jpeg

That would be so hard for me, because I can't stay in the lines to save my life.

My friend however, did that all the time in school. He had his Algebra notebook filled with sprites after the first quarter.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RubyLapiz View Post
    man, I used to do this for my nanopet all the time xD

I can't wait until you start doing snes game sprites
    I actually want to stick with 8-Bit. What I'm doing is to downscale games. Like Hero, was a 16-Bit SNES sprite (from my first game nonetheless), and I downscalled him to 8-Bit, and still managed to get him across. I'd like to ultimately do current gen stuff, like Dante, or a colossus in 8-Bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaridovich View Post
    That would be so hard for me, because I can't stay in the lines to save my life.

My friend however, did that all the time in school. He had his Algebra notebook filled with sprites after the first quarter.
    Me neither, I have an artificial right wrist, so I struggle with my coloring. I did learn something doing Hero. If you look at my Mega Man, you can see I outlined blocks before I colored them, and that resulted in some pixels being bulkier while reducing the size of neighboring pixels (I attached an example). With the hero, If you look at the left foot, I started to do it, but then I stopped. I think he wound up with the pixels being much more uniform, and improved it as a whole. Also, I am now on my fourth run with Terra, on my last run, I was almost done, but I made an eror at the beginning, and it messed up the proportions for the head. T_T
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Coma; 10-07-2008 at 01:44 AM.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know, I meant your interpretations of the snes sprites xD sry

Banned

In this one, I decided I wasn't outlining my drawing boundaries, the most I did was dots in the extreme corners of my drawing space. Between that, and not outlining my pixels, it took me four tries to get it right. However, it looks better for it I think. I'm now working on a full screenshot from Yoshi's Island, as my last 16-Bit before I move up to 32. In case anyone's wondering, its from Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy <3.

Blog Entries

Everything is easy with graph paper. :P Try it without.
    You hold my heart in your manly hands I wanna feel the throb of your handsome gland. I wanna hold you tight like a newborn kitten, against my flesh like a cashmere mitten. Tickly tick, I'm makin' skin bump heaven and all the way down it's lookin' cleanly shaven. Prickety pricks, it's stubble on stubble I better slow down or I'm in real trouble. Want you, touch you, feel you, taste you! Knick knack whacky whack 'till I see the man stew. spin you around let me see that hole! I'm a tunnelin' in a like a short hair mole. Once I'm inside I'm gonna leave a trace, half in there and half on that face! One finger, two finger, there fingers gone! Mano a mano I love you John!

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

Perform this in such a manner so as to not have those blasted blue lines interfering with your drawing and it will be quite impressive/fun.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Should be pretty easy to remove them digitally if you don't use blue in your pictures. Animators use blue construction lines for their pencil sketches (or at least I know one who does!) because they're so easy to remove.

Blog Entries

Choma keying ftw!
    You hold my heart in your manly hands I wanna feel the throb of your handsome gland. I wanna hold you tight like a newborn kitten, against my flesh like a cashmere mitten. Tickly tick, I'm makin' skin bump heaven and all the way down it's lookin' cleanly shaven. Prickety pricks, it's stubble on stubble I better slow down or I'm in real trouble. Want you, touch you, feel you, taste you! Knick knack whacky whack 'till I see the man stew. spin you around let me see that hole! I'm a tunnelin' in a like a short hair mole. Once I'm inside I'm gonna leave a trace, half in there and half on that face! One finger, two finger, there fingers gone! Mano a mano I love you John!