Thread: I should know this but I don't.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Default I should know this but I don't.

Can I take my install disks, put the game on my laptop and then access my account through that or wil I have to get a completely new copy of the game to play on another system even though it's the same account.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator

You can install the game on multiple computers and use the same account without any problem. Your registration information is stored on the PlayOnline server rather than on installation.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

You can even use your account on an Xbox360 or PS2.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

You'll have to download 4 hours of updates every time you install it though.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

There are ways to just copy over the updated files, if you've already done it once on a machine. But you also need to backup the registry files and all that, so it's a bit of a pain, but saves all those hours of downloading a second time.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Okay, after looking through all my stuff and finding everything in the world I've ever lost, including Warcraft 3 and Starcraft, I found all my expansion install CDs but not the initial installation disks. So, I went into program files and copied the PlayOnline folder and then put it onto my laptop.

When I went to open playonline it said it couldn't find registration stuff so I'm guessing that's what you were talking about with the registry files. What do I do now

Cannot open registry key for install path of PlayOnline-compatable software. Id="xxxx"
    UPDATE: I fixed that problem by downloading the Vista 64bit version of POL so that's good now. Now, I'm getting the dreaded Cannot play FFXI because FFXI is not installed error 020. Every fix I can find for this on the internet says to reinstall FFX from the disks without installing it's version of POL. The problem with that is I can't find my install disks. Anyone know a way around it?

EDITMan, I just gave up and bought the new bundle pack. $20 is worth it considering I didn't have the new expansion anyway.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator

It is more prudent to buy Vana'diel Collection 2008 instead of the original game and additional expansion packs due to the inconsistent pricing model of the software.
    I believe in the power of humanity.