Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Smoking or Non?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by scrumpleberry View Post
    Just make sure you have a good plan for the future
    People who plan to quit 'later' are not planning to quit.

I detest smoking. I think I may be the person most against smoking out of anyone that I know, possibly outside of those that have had close ones killed due to smoking.

I can't stand the smell and I can't stand the smoke, especially if it gets to my trachea. For some reason my trachea is insanely sensitive - it also gets agitated by fog. I cough a lot due to a tickly feeling that doesn't go away quickly. And that's not even getting to the fact that I can't stand the thought of my close friends ruining themselves pointlessly. It's something I struggle to comprehend.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Holy Dragoon Kain <3 Recognized Member KoShiatar's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've never smoked, except for hookah occasionally. I don't like cigarette smoke and since I know it's not healthy at all, I hope I never pick up such a habit. Now, if also my boyfriend would stop, it would be a reason to be glad.

C'mon C'mon

I don't smoke, and I've never even tried it. I've lied a few times about smoking, though, dunno why. To be honest, I'd probably smoke if the boxes didn't have all the "lung cancer" "impotence" "dead babies" stuff on the side, it just really puts me off and I don't see the point in risking it. Maybe I will do in the future, though, who knows.

Once, me, my sister and one of her friends tried smoking some generic stick we found in this alley that leads to my back garden. We were all really young, and I imagine we looked quite cute.

Nope. But everyone around me does.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I cannot understand how one would willingly pay for a product of this nature. Its grip on some people can be strong, and I regret that there is nothing that anyone can do for them...
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Contributions
    • Contributions to former EoFF Map

Used to, sometimes I miss the feeling of slowly inhaling the indulging and intoxicating drugs; the way it trickles to the back of your throat.

Anyways. I'm trying to stop (and I say trying because I won't consider myself to have quit until the year anniversary); I've been doing really well though! the smell is something I can't stand now.

Boldly go.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Just make sure you have a good plan for the future
    People who plan to quit 'later' are not planning to quit.
    I meant a sort of "just in case" fallback plan :/ Zeldy's a party girl: a bunch of people on a forum aren't going to be able to convince her to stop smoking evar again 4eva and eva. I'm just hoping she's going to be careful.

I smoke and I don't give a damn what anybody else thinks. You know whats worse than being a smoker? Thinking your better than one.

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Zeldy's a party girl.
    I am liking this

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    I smoke and I don't give a damn what anybody else thinks. You know whats worse than being a smoker? Thinking your better than one.
    Well at least we don't smell funny.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I meant a sort of "just in case" fallback plan :/
    Just in case what? She gets addicted? Well, that's like having a fallback plan for being homeless and then buying a home you know you can't afford - it's a silly thing to plan for if you can simply avoid getting into that position in the first place.

Now, I'm not expecting anyone to change because if there's anything that anyone knows about 'party girls' it's that if you tell them what to do then they'll rebel against you... it's pretty futile. But I know people who can party hard without smoking. I have no reason to just act is if I have to give in and say "Oh alright it's cool just fix it later" because we all know that people won't plan to fix things later, they'll just carry on making themselves worse until they get to the point that they've already ruined themselves in some ways that can't be fixed. And it's sad, and pathetic. People in this world can get away with saying "Hey man, we smoke, you should too!" but the moment someone says "You shouldn't do that..." then everyone jumps down their throat.

Basically what I'm getting at is that just because I know it won't change anyone doesn't mean I need to hide and let all the smokers have 100% pressure towards smoking and 0% against. I'm here to let smokers know they're doing something that's nothing but a dumb, stupid thing to do. Then the more tactful people can pull on the "oh I won't stop you" guilt trips later.

The saddest thing about this whole affair is that it's mostly kids that can't even afford to buy a pack of cigarettes that are smoking their lungs away, and (this being the sad part) it's their peers, the people their age, the ones they respect, that have the most power to stop them - and they don't.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Just in case what? She gets addicted? Well, that's like having a fallback plan for being homeless and then buying a home you know you can't afford - it's a silly thing to plan for if you can simply avoid getting into that position in the first place.

Now, I'm not expecting anyone to change because if there's anything that anyone knows about 'party girls' it's that if you tell them what to do then they'll rebel against you... it's pretty futile. But I know people who can party hard without smoking. I have no reason to just act is if I have to give in and say "Oh alright it's cool just fix it later" because we all know that people won't plan to fix things later, they'll just carry on making themselves worse until they get to the point that they've already ruined themselves in some ways that can't be fixed. And it's sad, and pathetic. People in this world can get away with saying "Hey man, we smoke, you should too!" but the moment someone says "You shouldn't do that..." then everyone jumps down their throat.

Basically what I'm getting at is that just because I know it won't change anyone doesn't mean I need to hide and let all the smokers have 100% pressure towards smoking and 0% against. I'm here to let smokers know they're doing something that's nothing but a dumb, stupid thing to do. Then the more tactful people can pull on the "oh I won't stop you" guilt trips later.

The saddest thing about this whole affair is that it's mostly kids that can't even afford to buy a pack of cigarettes that are smoking their lungs away, and (this being the sad part) it's their peers, the people their age, the ones they respect, that have the most power to stop them - and they don't.
    Um, don't you drink occasionally yourself BoBbo?

It's quite easy to replace smokers with drinkers in that sentance.

OVerall though I do agree with you. Just that you seem a tad harsh for someone who does stupid things themselves.

Now, I'm not expecting anyone to change because if there's anything that anyone knows about 'party girls' it's that if you tell them what to do then they'll rebel against you... it's pretty futile.
    Zeldy you should keep smoking.

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post

OVerall though I do agree with you. Just that you seem a tad harsh for someone who does stupid things themselves.
    The effects of smoking and alcohol are very different, alcohol in small amounts does little harm but smoking in the tiniest form is still bad, if you get me I see what you mean as they're both addicting, though.

Honestly, I'm not a smoker; I'm someone who smokes the occasional cigarette, there is a difference. They're nice sometimes, but I don't crave them or want one all the time, having to walk to the smoking shelter in college is a bitch and I often cannot be bothered, so thus I am not addicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeldy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post

The effects of smoking and alcohol are very different, alcohol in small amounts does little harm but smoking in the tiniest form is still bad, if you get me I see what you mean as they're both addicting, though.

Honestly, I'm not a smoker, I'm someone who smokes the occasional cigarette, there is a difference. They're nice sometimes, but I don't crave them or want one all the time, having to walk to the smoking shelter in college is a bitch and I often cannot be bothered, so thus I am not addicted.
    The problem isnt that their addicting, its that in essence both are stupid to do to begin with. You're doing physical harm to your own body.

Even I drink on occasion, but I full admit its a dumb thing to do.

Equally as dumb as smoking if you ask me.

But meh, everyone does skullskullskullskull thats dumb, simply because its who they are and what they enjoy to do. So I say go ahead and let them do it.