Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Japanese RPGs vs Western RPGs

I agree with Roto that both have problems. I do feel, however, that W-RPGs are going in a better direction these days. Too many J-RPGs are content with remaining the same. Dragon Quest is going to be the same game until the day I get AIDS and die.

Besides, many Western-RPGs do have very good stories. Mass Effect crafted a very cool world with a really good plot. I would say its sci-fi world stands out a lot from Star Wars and Star Trek. The characters are also so fleshed out. Bioware's games in general have really good stories. The Diablo games are pretty good gothic fantasies. I suppose the plethora of sidequests in Oblivion offer interesting miniature tales, though the main story is pretty lol.

I dunno. I've gravitated towards Western-RPGs a lot more these days. I don't know if it's because I didn't give them much chance before so it's a bit newer to me, or if J-RPGs just interest me less. I think when my interest in anime went poof so did my interest in what J-RPGs tend to offer. I'm sure it depends on the person to decide which is the bee's knees and which is not.
    Last edited by LunarWeaver; 10-10-2008 at 11:24 PM.

Both suck now. Both have incredible title, but are both mostly made up of skullskullskullskull games.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If a game's good, I really don't care which country produced it. I'm against bandwagoneering in all its forms - the traditional weea</>boo "omg it r JAPANESE, it r da best", or the similarly-unconvincing "I'm so UNIQUE and BADASS 'cause I hate Japanese stuff and I'm totally original for doing it!"

I haven't played many western rpgs, and many of my favourite games are indeed Japanese, but if I enjoy a wrpg I'll certainly play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivisteiner View Post
    I want good stories in my RPGs, usually. And from what I've heard, Western RPGs dont tend to have them. Which is why I've never played one.
    Play Planescape: Torment. Nothing that's come out of Japan even begins to compare.

Baldur's Gate II is also pretty good for story-telling/character development.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

People in this thread are making statements which suggest to me they originate from alternate dimensions.

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
    I want good stories in my RPGs, usually. And from what I've heard, Western RPGs dont tend to have them. Which is why I've never played one.
    Play Planescape: Torment. Nothing that's come out of Japan even begins to compare.

I played BGII but never really thought much of it. Of course I LOATHE real time combat systems so that definitely colors me. However, the story never really leapt out to me. It wasn't bad, but I don't think it was particularly great either.

Of course most games don't have a great story. So I guess I can't say BGII is much worse, if any, than so many others I have played. But incompatible game system makes it a far worse game as far as I am concerned.

Anyhow I am not even entirely sure what these genres are exactly.. is it just dependent on nation... or form? I mean does Utawarerumono constitute as a J SRPG? If so I think it trounces a good number of RPG's made by companies I recognize as western. But it also trounces most games made by companies I recognize as Japanese.

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

The overarching story in BGII isn't anything special but it's relatively well written, features a great cast of memorable characters and executed in such a way that there is always something of interest happening. That's about as much as I want out of a RPG story and it's consistently more then I end up getting.

If I had one complaint it would be that the sense of urgency imposed upon you in the second chapter is a little counter-intuitive considering that it's much more enjoyable to take you're time and do all the sidequests. I skipped a lot of them the first time through and regretted it later.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

To be fair, I do recognize that JRPGs are in decline when it comes to quality, once again, I'm back to researching and shoveling through filth (mostly Tales games) to get to the rare gems that make me love the sub-genre (Persona 3 ).

Lately, it seems that Western RPGs have been making the more groundbreaking and interesting games. I tried my hands at the Baldure Gate series back in the day and found them to be boring and tedious. I also can't stand Morrowind and Oblivion's game set up (I need a strong plot motivator, I can't stand sand box gaming). But games like Jade Empire and Mass Effect have caught my interest. I've also been meaning to play Fallout as it has always been a game that intrigues me despite my absolute hatred of first person perspective games.

Course, I still hope to play Lost Odyssey eventually, and I will probably check on FFXIII despite my total lack of caring (I might be pleasantly surprised). Yet it still seems that JRPGs are caught in a rut as of late. I prefer JRPG structure but I crave WRPG mechanics sometimes.

I like my random encounters.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karellen View Post

QFT. BG is one of the best games ever.

Blog Entries

I don't like games based on where they come form but rather on how fun they are to play

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

I like an RPG that can actively and thoroughly engage me. I don't seem to have any preference in Western or Japanese RPGs.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll play either, so long as it's good. Of late, JRPGs have failed to impress me in most cases, they seem to have fallen in a rut of unoriginality and samey, dated gameplay.

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

I don't know if Western RPGs are becoming more original and exciting in their game play and dynamics, or if the JRPG scene is diminishing or simply stagnant...

I'll just go with the culmination of all things
    Strategy RPG's such as Fire Emblem....
    The strategy is great, the stories may be "generic" but they're in depth and the characters have a lot of depth too. It has easily become my new favorite type of game.

I never really got into WRPG's... Open ended is nice... but then there's too open ended IMO. I typically preferred JRPG's because there was a set story and path to follow, but there were sidequests as well. Now though, most RPG's are crap, and an occasional enjoyable one comes along, like Tales of Symphonia, or The World Ends With You.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9