View Poll Results: Which FF game did you like better?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • FFVII: Spikey haired blonde character with a really big sword

16 55.17%
  • FFX: Surfer blond main character with a sword made of water

13 44.83%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is what it feels like...when nerd collide!!!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default This is what it feels like...when nerd collide!!!

So last night I met up with an old High School friend I hadn't seen in over a year/ We had a few drinks, talked about life and apparently he got back into gaming (he gave it up a few years ago for women) and due to him being the friend who got me into RPGs and FF in particular, we started talking FF games.

He wants to play XII but doesn't have a PS2 anymore but then he started talking about how good FFX was... This of course gets me to speak about my rather negative feelings about this game. What threw me off was him coming back at me passionately exclaiming, "You think FFX is worse than VII?!". VII is still his least favorite FF in the series and lo and behold our evening devolved into an amusing conversation about which is better FFVII or FFX? We both stuck to our guns and it was a fun chat.

So now I ask you, which do you EoFF think is better?

VII didn't feel like a rail-RPG, so that I guess. FFX had a fairly well constructed plot but gameplay wise it's pretty much everything that is wrong with Japanese RPGs.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Probably VII. I liked the materia system more than the sphere grid. Also out of those two casts, Yuffie is my favorite.

Blog Entries

Default dundundun

Its like spin off war or something. I'd say 7 in a long shot cause 10 was very time consuming and to tight around the edges. Its like walking a road until you get to the end of the game... yea. 7 you atleast got freedom.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Yeah i agree. 10 just seemed to drag on and i really lost interest.

7 was just more fun and i cared about all the characters where as i only cared about a few in X.
    Could never get my head round the sphere grid where as Materia was fun to collect and use
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I still think FFX had some of the better character development in the series, and I enjoyed the combat system a lot and the story was pretty good. My dad also got really hooked on watching me play it when I got it, so there are some fond memories there.

FFVII on the other hand had a story that suffered from a poor localization, characters with the development of a rock, and one of the worst battle systems since the NES. Oddly enough, despite acknowledging it's many faults I do still like FFVII. Possibly more than X, but I do believe X is the better game.

FFVII has the better soundtrack by a long shot though.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by sora_lion_heart View Post
    Its like spin off war or something. I'd say 7 in a long shot cause 10 was very time consuming and to tight around the edges. Its like walking a road until you get to the end of the game... yea. 7 you atleast got freedom.
    I agree with this. Although I really liked the combat system of FFX, overall it didn't catch my interest very much.

Articles
    Blog Entries

damn, 2 of my favorite RPGs, they're both real close, being Square's first attempt at a next-gen FF, somewhat similar stories, X definately being a direct successor to VII.

but I go with FFVII, off the strength of how "raw" it is compared to how polished and well-localized X is. Yeah, I said it. There's a certain aesthetic to that poorly-translated, ultra-japanese work which gives it that extra feeling, that "rawness". FFT has an even much worse localization, and that still ranks pretty high as one of my top RPGs of all time. Word.

I didn't get that "Oh god, please be over now" feeling from X until I was doing sidequests to get weapons and stuff, right before attacking Sin so I basically could make it be over any time I felt like it. I got that feeling from VII about two or three hours after I left the city.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

X is by far and away superior to VII. The only things I really didn't like about X was the development of stats/abilities (I hated the sphere grid) and the voice acting. Other than that, X was an excellent game. And what's better yet, I didn't have to use Tidus the whole game, which was good, because I didn't like him. (Auron, Yuna, and Rikku ftw). However, I couldn't stand Cloud and I was stuck with him throughout the whole damn game. >_>

Both suck.

Only kidding. I like both games, but FFX slightly more.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Banned
    Blog Entries

FFX was too linear during the plot.

X was too linear, period. :P The world was almost a straight line. xP You could walk from one end to the other and basically hit almost every hot spot along the way.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Vivisteiner View Post
    Both suck.

Only kidding. I like both games, but FFX slightly more.

No, no, I liked where you were going.

Then again, I will say that in the Playstation generations of numbered Final Fantasies, X is the one I'd be most willing to play.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

FFX was beautiful in about every way, but the characters (and costumes!) pissed me off to no end, and it was a very very straight line.