Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You, YES YOU could be the next Red Mage!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Baloki Kyuu (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff

:monster: You, YES YOU could be the next Red Mage!

Gotten your attention now? If not then maybe I could offer you a phoenix down? Would that sweeten the deal?

Ok I'll cut to the chase, we at Eyes On FF have always valued the input and content written by ordinary forum users such as yourself and now, more then ever do we need your help. Have you played the re-make? Do you consider yourself to know it all? Then please, PLEASE, PLEASE! Post any information you can think of in this thread, be it screenshots, walkthroughs, tips, tricks or equipment guides, we want it all!

Other useful things would be links to threads relating to the new game and changes in it from the orginal.

So get posting and help us out and we'll sort out a quirky reward involving your profile !
    FOA

Banned
    Blog Entries

First Playthrough:
    !Auto-Potion: Give to Porom.
    !Item Lore: Give to Palom.
    -Counter: Give to Cecil.
    !Curse: Give to Palom.
    *Tsunami: Give to Edge.
    *!Twincast (x2): Give to Cecil and Tellah.
    !Bluff: Give to Tellah.
    -Cry: Give to Kain.
    *Dualcast: Give to Rosa.
    !Gil Farmer: Give to Cid.
    !Bardsong: Give to Cid.
    -Salve: Not earned on first playthrough.
    -Hide: Not earned on first playthrough.
    !Recall: Give to Yang.
    !Last Stand: Give to Yang.
    -Fast Talker: Give to Rydia.
    *Whirlwind: Give to Edge.
    -Draw Attacks: Give to Cecil.
    -Reach: Give to Edge.
    !Analyze: Give to FuSoYa.
    -Adrenaline: Give to Cecil.
    -Upgrade: Give to Kain.
    !MP+50%: Give to FuSoYa.
    *Inferno: Give to Rosa.
    -Darkness: Give to Cecil.
    -Focus: Give to Cecil.
    -Kick: Give to Cecil.
    -Brace: Give to Cecil.
    !Level Lust: Give to NO ONE.
    !HP+50%: Give to NO ONE.
    -Piercing Magic: Give to Rosa.
    -Bless: Give to Edge.
    -Omnicasting: Give to Rosa.
    *Phoenix: Give to Kain.
    -Treasure Hunter: Give to Cecil.
    -Eye Gouge: Give to Rosa.
    *???'s Love: Give to Kain.
    -Safe Travel: Give to Cecil.

Second Playthrough:
    *Limit Break: Give to Cecil.
    !HP+50%: Carried over from first playthrough. Give to Edward.
    !Level Lust: Carried over from first playthrough. Give to Edward.
    -Auto-Potion: Give to Rydia.
    -Item Lore: Give to Edge.
    -Counter: Give to Edge.
    -Curse: Give to Edge.
    -Tsunami: Give to Cecil.
    *Twincast (x2): Give to Kain and Rosa.
    -Bluff: Give to Rydia.
    -Cry: Give to Rosa.
    -Dualcast: Give to Rydia.
    !Gil Farmer: Give to Cecil.
    -Bardsong: Give to Rosa.
    -Salve: Give to Edge.
    -Hide: Give to Edge.
    -Recall: Give to Rosa.
    *Last Stand: Give to Edge.
    -Fast Talker: Give to Rosa.
    *Whirlwind: Give to Rosa.
    -Draw Attacks: Give to Edge.
    *Reach: Give to Cecil.
    -Analyze: Give to Cecil.
    -Adrenaline: Give to Rydia.
    -Upgrade: Give to Cecil.
    -MP+50%: Give to Rydia.
    -Inferno: Give to Rydia.
    -Darkness: Give to Rydia.
    -Focus: Give to Rydia.
    -Kick: Give to Edge.
    -Brace: Give to Rosa.
    -Level Lust: Give to Cecil.
    -HP+50%: Give to Rosa.
    -Piercing Magic: Give to Rydia.
    -Bless: Give to Rosa.
    -Omnicasting: Give to Rydia.
    -Phoenix: Give to Rydia.

Third Playthrough:
    -Limit Break: Give to Rydia.
    -Auto-Potion: Give to Rosa.
    -Item Lore: Give to Kain.
    -Counter: Give to Rydia.
    -Curse: Give to Cecil.
    *Tsunami: Give to Rosa.
    -Twincast (x2): Give to Edge and Rydia.
    -Bluff: Give to Edge.
    -Cry: Give to Rydia.
    -Dualcast: Give to Edge.
    -Gil Farmer: Give to Rydia.
    -Bardsong: Give to Edge.
    -Salve: Give to Kain.
    -Hide: Give to Rosa.
    -Recall: Give to Kain.
    -Last Stand: Give to Rosa.
    -Fast Talker: Give to Cecil.
    *Whirlwind: Give to Kain.
    -Draw Attacks: Give to Rydia.
    -Reach: Give to Rydia.
    -Analyze: Give to Edge.
    -Adrenaline: Give to Edge.
    -Upgrade: Give to Rydia.
    -MP+50%: Give to Rosa.
    -Inferno: Give to Kain.
    -Darkness: Give to Kain.
    -Focus: Give to Edge.
    -Kick: Give to Kain.
    -Brace: Give to Rydia.
    -Level Lust: Give to Rosa.
    -HP+50%: Give to Rydia.
    -Piercing Magic: Give to Cecil.
    -Bless: Give to Kain.
    *Omnicasting: Give to Cecil.
    *Phoenix: Give to Edge.

- = Free to be moved or removed
    ! = Augment given to a character outside of the final party
    * = Augment necessary for max stats

*I believe the author of this guide gave permission to use it without need of contact*

Some Mitten Lover Sir Lancealot's Avatar

Tornado no longer works on the Dark Elfs second form.
    Gaint's Glove isn't made of metal, I think.
    Cecil cannot use bows.
    Last edited by Sir Lancealot; 10-12-2008 at 10:54 PM.

Pray restores MP and HP based on their max values.

Lugae in his second form uses an attack that "reverses", causing damage to heal, and healing to damage. An Elixir when he is reversed kills him quick (or at least deals 9999, somebody else do it to verify)

Rydia learns a wider variety of white magic as a kid than in other versions.

Edge cannot use claws

You can change which character's turn to use by pressing Y when more than one character is ready.

Item duplication no longer works

more to come
    Last edited by Exdeath; 10-13-2008 at 01:32 AM.
    m'pow

Hammers are one-handed.

Blog Entries

Equipments: the only Onion Equipments that could possibly be worth the bother are the Onion Sword and the Onion Sheild. There are almost always better replacements aviable for all the other Onion Equipments.

The Cursed Ring seems to do nothing but decreasing your stats at first, but it actually doubles any elemental resistance given by other equipments. In other words, if you have an armor equiped which gives you 50% resistance to Ice, and then equip the Cursed ring, you'll become completely immune to all Ice attacks. In fact, those attacks will even heal you.

General "at all times" Startegies:
    Draw Attacks + Counter on Cecil is always good. Even more so if you have the ability "Kick" as first move in the augment menu, thus making Cecil counter with Kick each time he's hit by a physichal attack.

Give "Hide" to someone with the ability "Aim" or "Throw". These are the only offensive moves that can be used while Hide is active. You'll basically have an invurnable partymember who can still attack.

Random Rydia Stuff:

Rydia's hair ornament no longer has a red gem, but a blue gem.

I've got more I'll type when I'm using a computer and not a psp.
    m'pow

Changes to abilities and magic lists.

Fusoya
    Regen has been replaced with Bless, which restores a small amount of MP over time in battle.

Cecil
    Cecil can now learn Protect, Shell and Rise.

Yang
    Focus now doesn't launch an attack, but instead builds up his power, and it can be used twice in a row for a very powerful attack next turn. It can also be used to boost the power of kick.
    Kick also does more damage non-boosted, but does damage the more enemies it hits.

Tellah
    His Recall ability no longer can cast any spell when used, but it can cast some of the twinmagics.

Rosa
    Aim no longer has a damage bonus.

Edward
    Edward gains new songs for his Bardsong ability as he levels up.
    Salve lets you use a healing item on all allies, but also takes away that number of the item used.

Blog Entries

Started working on a small boss guide, but I'm not sure if I'll finish it. We'll see. I've only done the first 5 bosses so far.

Ultima Shadow's FFIV DS Boss Guide

Mist Dragon:

No real strategy needed. Bring a few potions, then just wack away with normal physical attacks with both Cecil and Kain. Once the Mist Dragon ”turns into mist” (the dragon becomes a white cloud), stop attacking and just wait until it turns normal again. If Cecil or Kain's HP get too low, just use a potion. Seriously, as long as you don't attack during the mist form, this battle should be piece of cake.

General and Soldiers:

You're up against a General, who does nothing but give orders, and 3 soldiers who attack at the General's command. This battle is actually even easier than the previous one. Just attack two of the soldiers until they go down, then kill the General, and finally the last out of the 3 soldiers. If you don't care about the extra EXP and having the General added to your bestiary, you can just kill off the 3 soldiers, and the General will escape. If you take down the General first, the soldiers will get confused... but I still recommend taking down 2 of the soldiers first to reduce the damage you take since the General has a lot more HP. Still, this battle is so easy that you can win by just spam-pressing the attack button. Whenever you decide to kill the General or not, you shouldn't have any trouble.

Octomammoth:

Make sure your party is fully healed before this battle. Unlike to the two earlier boss battles, this one could actually require some preperations. Make sure you got the Hades equipment for Cecil (found in treasure chests in the cave you've been passing trough). Also make sure that Cecil is in the front-row while both Rydia and Tellah should be in the back-row. The weakness of this boss is obviously the ”thunder” element, so have Tellah either spam his Thunder magic, or have him use ”Recall” and hope for a powerful high-level spell. Only use Tellah for healing if you find yourself in a tight situation. Cecil should activate his ”Darkness” for more powerfull attacks, and then attack physically. Use Rydia for healing when needed, and use her Thunder spell if you feel like you can do without healing for a turn or two. But be sure to keep your party at high HP after Tellah's in-battle dialouge, as the Octamammoth's attacks will get a bit more powerful after that part.

Antlion:

If you attack this boss head-on, you'll soon notice that it will counter your moves with a very powerful attack. The key to avoiding this, is watching its eyes. When the Antlion's eyes are red, it will counter magic attacks. So just have Cecil attack physically and Rydia defend or cast Cure. When the eyes are white, it will counter physical attacks. So just have Rydia cast Blizzard and Cecil defend or use his ”Darkness” move. The spoony bard should just use his ”Life Anthem” song over and over to help keeping the party's HP up.

Mom Bomb:

Up to this point, you might have wondered why some people consider this game too hard. Well, the battle ahead is one of the reasons. This is one of the tougher bosses in this game and by far the hardest battle up to this point. All the earlier boss battles are just pushovers when compared, so make sure you're prepared. At first, it will seem like you're just up against a regular ”Bomb” enemy. However, after a few attacks the bomb will transform into a large, cloud-like creature, and a countdown will start. When the countdown finishes, the Mom Bomb will explode, dealing massive damage to your entire party. This is the part that makes this battle hard, since if you're not prepared, the explosion will most likely end with a ”Game Over”. Some people think that you have to finish off the Mom Bomb before it explodes, and that's why they keep failing. The explosion can't be avoided and thus you should only focus on surviving it. After the transformation, heal up your entire party and have everyone use ”Defend” except Yang who should use ”Brace” instead. Hopefully, this will keep your party from getting wiped out by the Mom Bomb's explosion. After the explosion, the Mom Bomb turns into 6 regular Bombs, 3 red ones and 3 blue ones. These are no more powerful than the bombs fought in random battles earlier, so just use blizzard and Yang's kick etc until they all go down.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Wow!

Edward is a useful Bard?

That's... AMAZING O_0!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

When in the menu screen, characters give off thought bubbles showing their feelings about the current story situations, giving hints on where to go next, or even adding a bit to the story... Like Palom foreshadowing the identity of Cecil's father being at the top of Mt. Ordeals

Though Cecil can't use bows, he now has access to three new weapons available in Torian(sp?) The Fireshard, Thundershard, and Iceshard. These weapons serve as Cecil's replacement weapons in the Lodestone Cavern.

Rydia learns Meteor at Lv. 81, the spell casts much faster than older versions. Bahamut is no longer an instant cast and costs 99mp rather than 80 which I believe was the original cost. I'll need confirmation on that though...

Two new major story scenes are added. One details Kain and Cecil meeting as children the other details Golbez's childhood and how Cecil came to live in Baron.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Bahamut is no longer an instant cast and costs 99mp rather than 80 which I believe was the original cost. I'll need confirmation on that though...
    Not sure about the SNES and PS1 versions, but I'm sure he 60mp to summon in the GBA version, and since when was he an instant cast.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Instant might not be the right word, but Bahamut has always been one of the fastest summons to pull off and he's faster than quite a few black magic spells; at least in the SNES, PS1, and GBA versions. In the DS version he takes as long as the Meteor spell. At least this has awlays been the way for my games it seems.

He has always seemed faster in the DS version TBH. Probably because it shows how long it takes to do anything but fight.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Lancealot View Post
    He has always seemed faster in the DS version TBH. Probably because it shows how long it takes to do anything but fight.
    To me, Bahamut and Kain's Jump felt much slower than I remember them being. I partially blame the the ability to see the abilities activate. I don't know really...