Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wapanese~

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

Default Wapanese~

I seriously don't understand the nerdy Japan fixation. So this is just a thread for you to talk about it and express your take and perhaps explanation, serious or otherwise.

Something that really perplexes me is when people talk about saving up to go to Japan and spending all their spare time learning the language, and they'll be a famous manga artist or work for a game company or something, and they talk as if in Japan EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY AND MAGICAL AND LOVELY -when from what I've heard the Japanese are actually quite closed-minded about other nations. It makes me a little bit sad.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

It's an exotic foreign country where people don't know much about the realities of it. I equate it to a medical infomercial in the United States where they say, "The secret medicine that the Dutch have known about for years!" People's ignorance blinds them to the realities of the situation.

Japan has a lot of fun stuff, but just like any other country it has its down sides too.
    Figaro Castle

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the language is nice-sounding, of the asian languages anyway, and the culture is interesting.

Wouldn't want to live there though. Or even visit more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet View Post
    "The secret medicine that the Dutch have known about for years!"
    You mean our cure for cancer?

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think there's a difference between a keen interest and an obsession, but yeah, people hardcore bent on Japan confuse me, like thinking the yakuza is better than normal gangs. xD That's just rose-colored glasses.

I like watching Japanese television (I'm not really heavy in anime - I only like a few of them, but I do like Japanese game shows), but then again, I like pretty much any kind of foreign television or film. I like to see other cultures. I'm having a french movie binge right now.

In regards to books, on one hand, I absolutely adore the writing of Haruki Murakami and the author of Battle Royale who I'm too lazy to look up at the moment, but on the other hand, I've read books from other Japanese authors and felt confusion, and in some cases, disgust, which I don't feel often. So it's like any other country there, again.

As for the language, I'm taking Japanese right now in college, and I really do enjoy it. I guess that makes me wapanese in this case, but it really is a lot more fun than studying other languages that I've studied before. I have a lot of fun learning and reading hiragana, and right now I am doing the best I've done studying any foreign language. xD

I could see myself moving to Japan, but I could also see myself moving to Italy, just to throw myself in to a completely different culture. So again, like any other country! =O

Read Gajin Smash by Azreal, it's really good in explaining the appeal, but how it's really just like any other country. And it's a hilarious blog too.

This post is rambling too much, ttfn~ :flounder:

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    Read Gajin Smash by Azreal, it's really good in explaining the appeal, but how it's really just like any other country. And it's a hilarious blog too.
    Actually seconded x) it's pretty great.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I adore anime, manga, and doujinshi (especially doujin shmups!). I also enjoy some Japanese pop music (especially Rie Tanaka). I use anime characters in my sets because I find them to be very cute and endearing. If that makes me a wapanese, so be it.

I'm also teaching myself Japanese, since my college doesn't offer any classes on it. Then again, I'm learning Spanish as well.

I'd like to visit Japan someday, or maybe even vacation there a few times. I'm not very sure if I would want to live there though-- I did some reading and it's extremely expensive to do so!

It really irritates me when people take it way too far though. I don't run around injecting BAKANEKOKAWAIIDESUDESUDESUDESUNE? in my sentences or my typing, unless I'm being incredibly sarcastic.

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by scrumpleberry View Post
    I seriously don't understand the nerdy Japan fixation. So this is just a thread for you to talk about it and express your take and perhaps explanation, serious or otherwise.

Something that really perplexes me is when people talk about saving up to go to Japan and spending all their spare time learning the language, and they'll be a famous manga artist or work for a game company or something, and they talk as if in Japan EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY AND MAGICAL AND LOVELY -when from what I've heard the Japanese are actually quite closed-minded about other nations. It makes me a little bit sad.
    Then again, you can hear people from foreign countries putting America in the same light.
    placeholder_text.jpeg

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Momiji View Post
    I adore anime, manga, and doujinshi (especially doujin shmups!). I also enjoy some Japanese pop music (especially Rie Tanaka). I use anime characters in my sets because I find them to be very cute and endearing. If that makes me a wapanese, so be it.

I'm also teaching myself Japanese, since my college doesn't offer any classes on it. Then again, I'm learning Spanish as well.

I'd like to visit Japan someday, or maybe even vacation there a few times. I'm not very sure if I would want to live there though-- I did some reading and it's extremely expensive to do so!

It really irritates me when people take it way too far though. I don't run around injecting BAKANEKOKAWAIIDESUDESUDESUDESUNE? in my sentences or my typing, unless I'm being incredibly sarcastic.
    Now I don't usually bash on weea<position></position>booism, but if YOU don't take it too far then I'm terrified to find out what taking it too far is

Anyway yeah my answer is two words: Toshirō Mifune.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Sagensyg View Post

Then again, you can hear people from foreign countries putting America in the same light.
    But the difference is United States is all rainbows and cupcakes.
    Figaro Castle

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post

Now I don't usually bash on weea<position></position>booism, but if YOU don't take it too far then I'm terrified to find out what taking it too far is

Look up 'wapanese' on Encyclopedia Dramatica. (Link edited out due to sightings of animated breasts.) THAT is taking it too far.

I consider myself to be quite normal, thank you. It's nothing more than a favorite hobby really.
    Last edited by Momiji; 10-13-2008 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF

amen sister.

that japan fetish is really quite sad. there was a girl in my class, ironically named Erika (no, not me ) who would go so far as to wear a naruto headband and scroll pouch to school. rofl. she was also in rotc and msgt ruiz told her to take it off and she told him it was her familys tribal symbol. of course when i printed out pics of said headband and pouch on amazon and circulated them around the corps,..... lol... she hasnt worn them since. she hates me and brittani now for it lulz
    Oh gods, why? ಥ_ಥ

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagensyg View Post

But the difference is United States is all rainbows and cupspacecakes.
    Fixed.

I plan to major in Japanese in college, but I am in no way Wapanese. I picked Japanese because the college offers that and Spanish as majors, and Japanese seemed more interesting.

Luckily, my dream job has no official majors to study in college.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

I like Japanese things because they are neat.

I really like the language (but I like Latin and Korean and Russian, too), and a lot of the music (but I like various international artists), and I like the movies (but I like lots of foreign movies) ... so I don't consider myself a japanophile or whatever you want to call it.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post

Now I don't usually bash on weea<position></position>booism, but if YOU don't take it too far then I'm terrified to find out what taking it too far is :p
    He's definitely borderline. xP

Goddamn Japanophiles, though. Need to stfu. >_>