Thread: Questions from a new FF2 player

Default Questions from a new FF2 player

My Final Fantasy 2 adventure has begun, and I'm trying to enjoy this one without walkthrough's and the like, so I'm putting my questions in here.

1) The characters will level up, as well as equipment leveling up, correct? So, is there any spot in the menus that will show me the characters' levels or experience collected from fighting enemies?

2) About weapon/shield levels: If I equip a weak shield or weapon, like the Buckler, and I raise my shield level to 3, will a newly equipped shield like a Dragon Shield start at level 3? Or will each new weapon or shield start again at level 1?

3) I know Vitality increases when you take damage. And your HP goes up according to your Vitality when you level up. So, is it good to take lots of damage towards the beginning of the game, to get those HP up even if I'm making 2 magic users?

4) What tips can you share for building a black wizard, white wizard & fighter? Any particular weapons & armor I should avoid for these types of characters?

5) Does white magic have to cast during battles to increase your white wizard stats, or can you simply cast the healing spells between battles? I've been putting critically low HP characters in the back row, then going into battle, then curing that character.

6) If I want to develop a white wizard, what should I do with that character at the beginning? Do I attack from the back row with bows? Should I not use the attack command at all for them? What should they be doing in the battle, especially since I want my other characters to take damage.

Thank you for your help. Stay tuned for more questions.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

your weapon and shield stats are not dependent on the actual weapons/shields equipped.

You do not level up. I don't think this was changed for the DS/GBA ports. You not gain experience. You just get your stats raised at [random] intervals.

You do not gain spirit (white magic power) by casting between battles, you will only gain spell levels. You need to cast in battle to raise your MP and Spirit.

A popular class to build is a paladin where they can attack and cast white magic.

It is always good to take a lot of damage. You may find that you don't want some characters to equip much equipment at all except for boss battles because their stats will be much healthier that way.

What should I do with a Black Magic user when I run out of MP? Does that character need to fight at that point? I'm having trouble continuously casting black magic spells and having enough MP for the whole dungeon/tower that I'm fighting through.

Also, I thought this would work, but it doesn't really. If I get low on HP, and get an HP increase, I'll try to Cure a little and then drop down again, to gain even more HP. This unfortunately doesn't work. Should I try to Cure back up to 50% HP & then drop down again?

Any tips for increasing MP?

Some Mitten Lover Sir Lancealot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RubyLapiz View Post
    I don't think this was changed for the DS/GBA ports. You not gain experience.
    I think you mean the PSP/GBA ports, as there is no DS port.

Quote Originally Posted by rizz View Post
    Any tips for increasing MP?
    Cast any type of magic in battle.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Better watch the second and third videos, there is nothing like walkthroughs in them, and the guy explains the mechanics of the game pretty well.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

at least I got *a* handheld that's pretty close!

Can you sell magic that you've learned by unequipping it somehow. Very likely not, but thought I'd ask.

What does the Peep spell do specifically?

When you select 'use' for a weapon, like the Magic Cane which casts Bolt5, does it have unlimited uses?