Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Proving An Elementary Science Lesson Wrong With Two Questions

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    This thing is kinda like how Pluto is no longer a planet.
    I do believe I already scientifically disproved this in this very thread.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

It would help if you didn't rely on a grade school science textbook for your scientific learning. I mean, it's a good start and/or useful when you don't want to waste time learning 5000 complicated words and just want the explanation (for example, reading children's books about the four seasons is easier than going through wikipedia for an explanation of orbital tilt and surface area/sunlight correlation)

Finally a dictionary is just a list of words and their definitions. It's not an exhaustive list of a language's lexicon.

Contributions
    • Contributions to former EoFF Map

Quote Originally Posted by The Ceej View Post
    I do believe, if it were a word at the time, my dictionary would have said so. Since it wasn't even a word then, I suspect it's something people are expecting me to believe has been a word the whole time that they just forgot to teach me at the time.

Again, I highly doubt that. Not even all te alcohole that's in me can get me to believe that.

Umami isn't in my dictionary either, but PG and I agree that this is because it's a medical term.

If you have time; read my previous post, i'm not here to lie to you or give you false information because I get skullskullskullskulls and giggles from it; Currently I'm a student-nurse learning about anatomy and physiology. (This isn't necessarily a reason to trust me over anyone else - but I have made science my life and my love)

In a way you're right because the word taste has several definitions. One is a casual use referring to the entire experience of food. The other is a very technical use referring to specific scientific processes. In this instance I believe you've just mixed the to together; which is easy to to do; but over complicates the issue.

You're not the only one either, several people here are understand taste as a combination of taste and smell. This is the more casual definition. I think one thing to understand is that this definition works! but only if you try not to back it up with scientific evidence because this evidence is meant to prove taste in a more specific anatomical and physiological way. (so you might end up stepping on your own toes).

Boldly go.

I do believe, if it were a word at the time, my dictionary would have said so. Since it wasn't even a word then, I suspect it's something people are expecting me to believe has been a word the whole time that they just forgot to teach me at the time.
    Maybe you should look up the word "hubris" in your dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I do believe, if it were a word at the time, my dictionary would have said so.
    Out of curiosity, what is the date on your dictionary?
    The copyright on my dictionary is 1991. I refuse to get a dictionary they make these days due to the inclusion of 50,000 new "words" that aren't really words like def, McJob, and that load of new ones they added this year that I can't remember. I refuse to have my dictionary bogged down with groups of letters that aren't real words.

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Maybe you should look up the word "hubris" in your dictionary.
    I already did that some time ago. It doesn't apply in this thread.

And now, here's where I address the arguments that Google results and Wikipedia articles makes something a word:

Shipoopi has 58,500 Google entries and a Wikipedia article. Does that make it a real word?

Chemical has a good point. If only all the posts were like hers instead of, "Oh my God, Ceej is talking. He must be wrong. Let's go remind him of how wrong he is without even considering what he has to say."

Some onions have a sweet flavor, yes. White onions do not. That's why I chose them. If I would have said onions in general, you could assume I meant Vidalias or Peru onions.

And I do understand that things have changed since we were all in elementary school. Pluto is no longer a planet, even though I maintain it is. Why shouldn't it be a planet? No one has yet given me a valid reason why Pluto was demoted from planet to rogue moon, or whatever the hell it is this week. But this wasn't even true when I was taught it. Or maybe it was over-simplified. But it's misleading when you say, "ALL flavors can be broken down into THE ONLY four tastes," even if you argue that it was over-simplified.

And I was never taught evolution in school. Something about people not wanting me to be misled by the lies scientists are using to turn people away from Christ. The closest thing I got was a paragraph on how the natural selection part of it works and then a sentence which specifically states, "This is not evolution." I had to learn everything I know about evolution, which is still not very much, from the internet.

I know I'm getting off topic, but hell. I'll do it in my own thread if I want to. I have a massive hangover.

*facepalm*

Banned
    Blog Entries

I believe Pluto wasn't large enough to constitute the planet title, right?

Blog Entries

The copyright on my dictionary is 1991. I refuse to get a dictionary they make these days due to the inclusion of 50,000 new "words" that aren't really words like def, McJob, and that load of new ones they added this year that I can't remember. I refuse to have my dictionary bogged down with groups of letters that aren't real words.
    logic error

there was a picture here

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Dude View Post
    I believe Pluto is larger than Mercury. Isn't Mercury still a planet?

Quote Originally Posted by Levian View Post
    logic error
    I suppose I can switch brands. Not all dictionaries are doing that. Just Merriam Webster.

Contributions
    • Contributions to former EoFF Map

Or maybe it was over-simplified. But it's misleading when you say, "ALL flavors can be broken down into THE ONLY four tastes," even if you argue that it was over-simplified.
    I think the keywords here are taste and flavour.

Taste can be broken down into 5 tastes (arguably, umami is under consideration I'll consider it a subsection of taste since it's a part of a recently published anatomy and physiology text book I'm being taught from cited in my third post up). Mind you - taste is also a mixture of these subsets to varying degrees so there is the experience of maybe sweet & sour, or umami & bitter; for instance.

Flavour, on the other hand, can be broken down into tastes and smells.

Maybe this helps satisfy everyone in the arguement. ?

Boldly go.

Blog Entries

Mercury is significantly larger than Pluto.

there was a picture here

Banned
    Blog Entries

I think you need to go back to elementary school Ceejie. : p

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Dude View Post
    It's a dwarf planet. Apparently they aren't considered "real" planets any more

Banned
    Blog Entries

As long as Uranus remains a proper planet. I'm content.

Quote Originally Posted by Levian View Post
    Mercury is significantly larger than Pluto.
    That's not what I learned in college. So, unless Mercury grew or Pluto shrank, one of us learned wrong.

We were taught, in college, that Mercury was the smallest planet, and at that time, Pluto was still a planet, though by the end of the semester, it wasn't anymore.

EDIT: Come to think of it, we learned all that same information in high school, middle school, and elementary school. So, unless all of my schools were out to misinform me, which is highly unlikely, then Mercury is smaller than Pluto.