Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Proving An Elementary Science Lesson Wrong With Two Questions

Banned
    Blog Entries

Pluto's mass is 25 times smaller than Mercuries, I might have been wrong by implying it was the size specifically.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Good God, Ceej, were you taught by 3 year olds?

Well, mass and size are two different entities.

I doubt they're going to judge whether a rock is a planet or not on solely mass. I know I won't. Besides, Pluto has a moon.

And now, don't go doing what my college science instructor did, once he learned and informed us that Pluto was no longer a planet, and claim I saying every planet that doesn't have a moon isn't a planet.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Harle-Quin View Post
    Good God, Ceej, were you taught by 3 year olds?
    It had to have been a major conspiracy if I were taught wrong because it was countless teachers across four schools and they had textbooks that confirmed everything they were teaching me. And then, they'd either have to misteach the other students in the classes or get them in on it. I highly doubt it. It's highly unlikely.

FURTHER EDIT:
    I've done some research and apparently Mercury is bigger than Pluto. However, I found something else interesting. I wasn't the only one who was taught Mercury was smaller.

MORE EDITING:
    According to this, this is why we were taught that:
    At one time astronomers thought Pluto was bigger than Mercury. Now we know that Pluto is only half the diameter of Mercury.
    Last edited by The Ceej; 10-21-2008 at 07:33 PM.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I ate some lemons at lunch today and they were much more pronounced on the top of my tongue than further back. I'm going to see if this correllates to any 'taste maps' I can find online.

[edit- I looked for some that tried to show concentration of different receptors, but I got bored after finding results for cow tongues and chicken tongues but not people tongues. I guess they haven't dissected enough tongues to find taste buds yet. I did find one of ceej's beloathed taste maps that indicated that perhaps there were fewer taste buds total at the portion of tongue where I couldn't taste much, so take that for what it's worth.]

Banned
    Blog Entries

Maybe they taught you wrong for the laughs.

The taste maps in my fifth-grade text book say that the front of the tongue is for sweet. Yeah, well, for me, it's the entire tongue and I highly doubt I'm the only one.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would try sweet, but I'm not allowing myself to have sugar right now I do have some pistachios, so let me get back to you in a few minutes re: salty.

[Edit- yes to salty on the sides, and the very back (gagging on a pistachio is not pleasant) but not on the top and obviously, yes the tip.]

Come to think of it, I might have a packet of Arby's Horsey sauce in my fridge. I'd be willing to do that wasabi test it with it. I'll get back to you on that. If I don't, it means I couldn't find any.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ceej View Post
    The taste maps in my fifth-grade text book say that the front of the tongue is for sweet. Yeah, well, for me, it's the entire tongue and I highly doubt I'm the only one.
    Apparently your tongue is as messed up as the rest of your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Apparently your tongue is as messed up as the rest of your head.
    At least my head is bringing more to this conversation. I don't see you doing anything other than reaction shots.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can't stop eating pistachios now ;.;

Yeah. And I found a whole bunch of packs of Arby's sauce but not a single pack of Horsey sauce.

EDIT:
    I like how every time Ceej admits when he's wrong, everyone just drops the subject and pretends it never happened. My theory is that people want to believe that's not at all like Ceej and if people recognize it happens, then they have to concede that Ceej does that.

Besides, it's not like that subject was what this thread was about anyway.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Levian View Post
    Mercury is significantly larger than Pluto.
    That's not what I learned in college. So, unless Mercury grew or Pluto shrank, one of us learned wrong.

We were taught, in college, that Mercury was the smallest planet, and at that time, Pluto was still a planet, though by the end of the semester, it wasn't anymore.

EDIT: Come to think of it, we learned all that same information in high school, middle school, and elementary school. So, unless all of my schools were out to misinform me, which is highly unlikely, then Mercury is smaller than Pluto.
    Things in science change and ideas are refuted. Nothing is absolutely concrete, everything is a theory. So if your schoolbooks had outdated text and your teachers never bothered to find out different that doesn't mean that it didn't change.

Which brings along the next thing I want to say, which is that you state things as if they are concrete irrefutable fact instead of presenting them scientifically as a theory for others to test and come to other conclusions. And when people do present information to disprove what you say you just act as if it's a huge conspiracy against you. Not to mention that things like this are worked on in real lab environments with sensitive equipment and lots of peer review and the fact that you have a single piece of anectdotal evidence really isn't going to make some huge dent in the scientific community. Though if you think it should then you could always present it to some highly regarded scientific publication.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by RubyLapiz View Post
    I can't stop eating pistachios now ;.;
    That's because pistachios are delicious.

I like, Hsu, how you ignored my other two edits from that post which negate everything you just said about me.

The size of planets don't change. What we know about them, sometimes does.