Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Proving An Elementary Science Lesson Wrong With Two Questions

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

From the information you've provided in this thread we can only conclude that 1) your elementary school used outdated educational material, and that 2) your teacher was not a rational person. Interestingly you don't need to be a rational person to be a teacher, so I am perfectly willing to accept my two conclusions as a working hypothesis.

Now, ignoring the Mercury/Pluto argument for a second, have you bothered to scientifically prove your claim yet? You've listed the four tastes (sweet sour salt and bitter), but you've clearly forgotten the asian taste of MSG, which is the fifth taste. That's right, asian pried rice, bitches.

Next, if you were to look at this illustration, you'll not only notice that there are different taste buds, but that they are all grouped together, not separated by type. Ergo the entire notion of 'taste centers' (ie that you taste sweet at the tip of your mouth) is wrong.

By the way Ceej, how goes suing your local telephone company?

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This thread is such epic self-pwnage on a scale legendary even for The Ceej. I can't help but stick my nose in.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ceej View Post
    Well, mass and size are two different entities.

I doubt they're going to judge whether a rock is a planet or not on solely mass. I know I won't. Besides, Pluto has a moon.
    No, they don't do that. The IAU defines a planet thusly;

The IAU members gathered at the 2006 General Assembly agreed that a "planet" is defined as a celestial body that (a) is in orbit around the Sun, (b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape, and (c) has cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit.
    Pluto hasn't cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit, and thus is considered a dwarf planet.

And now, don't go doing what my college science instructor did, once he learned and informed us that Pluto was no longer a planet, and claim I saying every planet that doesn't have a moon isn't a planet.
    If we're going to get technical, Pluto and Charon are a binary system - neither is really a moon (Although the IAU hasn't got around to giving a specific definition for dwarf planet binary systems, so it's not entirely unreasonable to call Charon a moon of Pluto.)

But yeah long story short the presence of orbital bodies does not qualify something as a planet cf. The Sun.

Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Dude View Post
    I believe Pluto wasn't large enough to constitute the planet title, right?
    I believe Pluto is larger than Mercury. Isn't Mercury still a planet?
    Pluto is not larger than Mercury; Besides, that's not all that constitutes a planet.

A planet is defined as a celestial object that:

1) has sufficient mass as to overcome rigid body forces such that it becomes somewhat spherical.

Pluto actually has accomplished this as it is spherical.

2) has "cleared the neighbourhood" , meaning that its orbit is not interfered by other objects. All major planets in the solar system do not interfere with other celestial objects. Pluto however crosses paths with various objects, like the Kupier belt

Consequently Pluto is a dwarf planet, like the dwarf planet Ceres which sits happily between Mars and Jupiter, in the comet belt.

What's funny is that a dwarf planet by the name of Eris is actually bigger than Pluto and not found until 5 years ago (2003). Also the definition of a planet has changed. The proper definition has been in use since 2006.

Remind me again what year your textbook was? Shouldn't you update to a more recent book? I don't use textbooks from the 1700s when I want to learn about things. You shouldn't use books from the 1980s.

But yeah long story short the presence of orbital bodies does not qualify something as a planet cf. The Sun.
    Nitpick: a planet ceases to be a planet if it gets to be a certain size: specifically when Nuclear fusion starts to happen

The textbook was from the late 1990's in college.

The high school, middle school, and elementary school textbooks with the same information were also up to date for their times.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Technically, only the Earth's satellite is called "Moon", all the other planets just have satellites though calling them moons is common within normal everyday discourse.

Also, not all planets are made of rock. Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune are believed to be gaseous (not too sure about the last two). Whether or not Pluto is undecided.

Also if you were to discount planets without satellites, you'd have to include Venus as well.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

MORE EDITING:
    According to this, this is why we were taught that:
    At one time astronomers thought Pluto was bigger than Mercury. Now we know that Pluto is only half the diameter of Mercury.
    It should be noted also that according to your linked article, this was disproved in the 1970's. You have stated that your textbook was from the 1990's.

It is possible that rather than being taught incorrectly, you have actually experienced some kind of problem when learning about planet sizes, such as poor memory, confusion, dyslexia, etc.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

in before skullskullskullskullstorm

there was a picture here

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pureghetto View Post
    Nitpick: a planet ceases to be a planet if it gets to be a certain size: specifically when Nuclear fusion starts to happen
    Well yeah, that's sort of my point. The Sun is blatantly not a planet, even though it is orbited by other bodies.

Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    MORE EDITING:
    At one time astronomers thought Pluto was bigger than Mercury. Now we know that Pluto is only half the diameter of Mercury.
    It should be noted also that according to your linked article, this was disproved in the 1970's. You have stated that your textbook was from the 1990's.

It is possible that rather than being taught incorrectly, you have actually experienced some kind of problem when learning about planet sizes, such as poor memory, confusion, dyslexia, etc.
    dyslexia lulz

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

neptune hasn't cleared pluto out of its path! I submit that Neptune should be relegated to dwarf planet status as well.

Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by RubyLapiz View Post
    neptune hasn't cleared pluto out of its path! I submit that Neptune should be relegated to dwarf planet status as well.
    Oh no

Good thing they won't ever collide. So there's no clear teh neighbarhud issues ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    MORE EDITING:

Nope. They clearly taught that Mercury was the smallest, and the textbook, from the late 1990's confirmed what they were teaching. You're trying to make me look stupid because I was taught something that was incorrect. Well, let me assure you that there's a difference between stupidity and incorrect knowledge.

There was a time when I thought the schools were there to teach you. This was during that time. It turns out they're there to conform you to society. But they even made a mistake there, because teaching information different from what other schools had been teaching others doesn't conform as we're seeing here.

And, if you followed one of my links, schools had been teaching people this through the 1990's, at least, so it's not my fault. Quit trying to make it my fault.

The "umami is not a word you're all out to get me" thing is your fault, though.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

And, if you followed one of my links, schools had been teaching people this through the 1990's, at least, so it's not my fault. Quit trying to make it my fault.
    My schools didn't.

Blog Entries

Ah, I was waiting for the conspiracy.

there was a picture here