View Poll Results: Do you drive ze stick or are you on autopilot?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stick shift baby, speed!

8 27.59%
  • I like comfort, ease and drinking coffee in my automatic.

15 51.72%
  • I do 'em both.

6 20.69%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stick or autopilot.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Quote Originally Posted by Momiji View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    All the drivers in it are terrible and I narrowly miss accidents every day due to faults of theirs.
    Oh god, same here. I don't know how half of the people here even got licenses-- they're terrible! Turn signals aren't optional (very common here, people will just randomly slow down and turn without any alert whatsoever), and speed limits are there for a reason. There's no need to go so fast or so slow (I was once stuck behind some old person driving 20 miles an hour for 15 minutes, and I couldn't pass due to there being a lot of hills (and therefore, all solid yellow lines) and all of my chances to pass were ruined by oncoming traffic).

I was not happy.
    Those people are even worse than the fast people I annoy. Cause unless it's night and you can blind them with highbeams, there is nothing you can do to bug them.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

From what I understand, automatic transmission has become more efficient than a majority of humans. You have to be very good at switching gears at the right moment to outclass automatic performance, and most drivers are not.

So, Mr. I'm-Better-Than-You-Lazy-Generation-Lot, in my case, it's less about being lazy and more about getting better gas mileage. Stick that in your holier-than-thou pipe and smoke it.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I drive manual because I'm HARDCORE. It's funny seeing people say "Oh no! Manuals are complicated!" because if you made me drive an automatic I wouldn't have a clue what to do without my clutch pedal.

I would like to drive an automatic once I've passed my test using a manual though.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just wanted to elaborate and say I wouldn't mind driving a manual; I had plenty of experience in gear shifting on our old four-wheeler and now I can remember to clutch everything (unlike when I was ten and driving for the first time EVER) I think I would be better at it xD

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I drive manual because I'm HARDCORE. It's funny seeing people say "Oh no! Manuals are complicated!" because if you made me drive an automatic I wouldn't have a clue what to do without my clutch pedal.

I would like to drive an automatic once I've passed my test using a manual though.
    Yeah, but you just recently started driving, if I recall correctly. Imagine being pressured to learn when you're 15.

I'm 18 now, and I still won't touch it unless it's a car I can make some mistakes with.

Quote Originally Posted by Momiji View Post
    I'm 18 now, and I still won't touch it unless it's a car I can make some mistakes with.
    My god, yes. I had to drive my boss' fancy brand new truck once and it was all in METRIC. D: I'll never drive that again. I was driving wayyy too slow and I couldn't figure out why initially.

Manual. Although I can drive an automatic too (not sure about over there, but here if you get your manual license you can drive an auto too.) Automatics are just so boring to drive, whereas Manuals have you on your feet a bit more while you're learning. =D

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    I think anyone who deliberately makes a mundane task more difficult for themselves is mentally deficiant and they should be taken out back Old Yeller style.

Everyone should drive automatics. But only until something more efficient and easy comes along.
    Firstly, it's spelled deficient.

Secondly, would you mind explaining to me how exactly automatic transmissions are more efficient than manuals? Or at least explain to me your strange world wherein ease = efficiency.

Unfortunately when I was growing up and learning to drive, the only cars available for me to learn on had automatic transmissions. I would like to learn how to drive a car with a manual transmission. And as has been stated previously in the thread, I'm certain it becomes second nature. For the time being, however, I will stick with what I have because my options are quite limited.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Denmark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    I think anyone who deliberately makes a mundane task more difficult for themselves is mentally deficiant and they should be taken out back Old Yeller style.

Everyone should drive automatics. But only until something more efficient and easy comes along.
    Firstly, it's spelled deficient.
    Oh touché.

Secondly, would you mind explaining to me how exactly automatic transmissions are more efficient than manuals? Or at least explain to me your strange world wherein ease = efficiency.
    Modern automatics are extremely precise about when they change gears, as Ouch! said. They'll change to be efficient with gas as much as possible. certainly better than all but the most expert Human. Also yeah, less work to perform the same task = more efficient, that's pretty much the definition of efficiency.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Driving a stick-shift is the epitome of badass. That's why people do it. Assuming you do it right.

I can drive a stick-shift and automatic, but I use the latter more often.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

You have to learn to drive manual to have a decent sports car worth its price.

I have to learn something like it to drive my dream vehicle. So I'm obligated to learn at some point. It's not so much I don't know how, but I haven't practised enough. Yeah that.

Asl

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

my modern automatic doesn't know how to climb a hill. Just sayin'. Forcing it into a lower gear to go 2500 rpm at 35 mpg can't be efficient!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I hope to learn both, preferably stick first, since the "day" car is my mom's standard. I loathe that car.

4444444444 4 4 444 44 4

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

I have only driven stick a few times, and I am decent switching between gears once in motion. It's going from stop to go that and go to stop that I fail hard at.

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I drive a Manual. I have never in my life driven an Automatic.

Driving a manual is second nature to me, and I love driving and I can't imagine having no gears and no clutch.. and oh my god. The thought depresses me. :weep: Driving a manual is fun. ^_^