Thread: How to run FF8 [PC Version] from ISO (the REAL way)

How to run FF8 [PC Version] from ISO (the REAL way)

This is for the PC version of FF8 ONLY.

It seems like there's only ONE place on the internet that actually tells you the CORRECT method that was endorsed by SquareSoft itself. Unfortunately, I found it only the once about a year ago, and I've been having a helluva time trying to find it again. Luckily, I managed to get myself to remember how to do it.

The most common response I see that could possibly 'fix' it, is the one that involves (re)burning the iso to a disc and then re-installing it to play. However, the REASON I have the ISO is because playing from a disc causes the FMV's to skip/distort as a result of the latency while the drive is reading the CD. Playing from the ISO ripped to your HDD removes the skipping, and you get a nice and smooth playing experience with quicker loading times.

Now, you might ask, "why not just emulate the PSX version instead?" Well, here's my answer: The quality of the FMV's. The PC version of the game has MUCH better (clearer) FMV's. Not to mention that the polygon vertices are much more accurate on PC as it was made for DirectX, and because of that, anti-aliasing looks much more attractive. Heck, I'd even venture to say that the PC version uses up less CPU power and less RAM to run. It uses up about 18-20MB of RAM, and even with my 8800GTX that's on it's way out, I can play the game at 1280x1024 (more on that in a sec) resolution with 4x4 Supersampling AA, 16x AF, gamma correction, supersampling transparency, V-sync, and forced trilinear mip-maps without ANY problems. It's worth it, believe me, it's worth it. Even with fraps running and recording, the framerate doesn't suffer AT ALL, which is why I say it's easier on the resources.

Anyways here's how to do it without having to burn the ISO to disc, or re-install the game:

You will need an image-mounting software like Daemon Tools.

The game looks for the disc on the drive that you installed the game from. However, it doesn't detect the disc like the more recent games do. Which is why even if you install the game from the Installation Disc's ISO (say from virtual drive H: ), it will not detect the ISO of the game disc when you try to play it (from virtual drive H: ). It looks for the NAME of the disc. The names of the discs are as follows (confirm by opening My Computer with the disc in the disc drive):

Disc 1 = FF8_DISC1
    Disc 2 = FF8_DISC2
    Disc 3 = FF8_DISC3
    Disc 4 = FF8_DISC4

In order to 'fool' the game, you need go to the base-path of the drive that the ISO is on ('C:\' in my case), and create a folder with the name of the disc you're going to be playing. If you're just starting the game, the name of the folder will be 'FF8_DISC1'. Put the ISO in that folder. Do the same for each subsequent disc, as you need them.

Next you need to modify your registry. I will tell you the exact value to change, do not change anything else for the sake of your own sanity incase you change/delete something important.

Open the Start Menu, click 'Run...', type in regedit and click 'OK'.

Navigate to:
    Code:
    My Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Square Soft, Inc > FINAL FANTASY VIII > 1.00
    Once the 1.00 'folder' is open, you should see the key called 'DataDrive' (it's the 3rd one from the top for me). Right-click 'DataDrive' and then 'Modify' (NOT 'Modify Binary Data'). Change the Value Data to the drive letter that Daemon Tools generates when it's emulating a drive (F: in my case).

Click OK and close the Registry Editor.

Now, run Daemon Tools and have it emulate a drive. Go into My Computer if you want to make sure you set DataDrive to the correct drive letter. Mount the ISO image that you put into the FF8_DISC1 folder, and play the game!

Now to go back to what I said about the doubled resolution of the game (playing it at 1280x1024). In my search to try and remember how to play the game from ISO, I stumbled upon a new FF8 Launcher program that was made to make FF8's graphics compatible with the newer generations of video cards (Nvidia namely). It is NOT the old Nvidia patch that is nearly 10 years old. It's a new one developed by a 3rd-party. Anyways, this Launcher completely removes (as far as I've played) the 'black boxes' and texture tile issues that crop up with nVidia cards (not sure how it plays on ATI though). You can get the Launcher here:

FF8 Launcher - Custom resolutions and 8-bit paletted textures fix (patch)

If it gives an error when you try to run it, you probably need to download and install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable package that he has linked.

None of these images have been modified in any way. I used Print Screen, pasted them to a BMP, and converted them at 100% JPEG quality in Adobe Photoshop CS 8.0. The difference in size between the PSX FMV shot and the PC FMV shot is NOT because I saved either of them any differently than the other.

FF8 Launcher (Before & After)

PC FMV Vs. PSX FMV

YouTube - FF8 [Fire Cavern][PC Version][nVidia Fixed]
    Last edited by Cyric; 10-28-2008 at 09:12 AM.
    FFX-2 FMV's Upscaled and Filtered to 720p (link fixed)

The games I've beaten...

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | X-2 | XII

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thanks for posting this I wish I had the PC version because of the higher resolution FMVs.

A few months back I wanted to play FF8 so bad I would do anything. I therefore decided to download the PC version. I wish I would have known what I know now (thanks to you). What I ended up doing was playing it on a PSX emulator and believe me, I did experience problems (mainly slowdown at first and cut scene glitches where everything froze).

I'll keep this marked in case I want to play the PC version in the future. Gotta say, VIII is one of my personal favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Nice View Post
    A few months back I wanted to play FF8 so bad I would do anything. I therefore decided to download the PC version. I wish I would have known what I know now (thanks to you). What I ended up doing was playing it on a PSX emulator and believe me, I did experience problems (mainly slowdown at first and cut scene glitches where everything froze).

I'll keep this marked in case I want to play the PC version in the future. Gotta say, VIII is one of my personal favorites.
    I don't know what emulator you used, but whenever I run the PSX version through ePSXe, the Fire Cavern looks like everything's out of focus. It looks like two different rendering methods overtop each other, and the AA looks like e. Anyways, this 'demo' of the PC-version of FF8 looks the way it should. I recorded it with Fraps at 1024x768 (1280x1024 doesn't seem to work with my new vid-cards) and all the bells'n'whistles forced on it, but Windows Movie Maker insists on reducing it to 640x480. I at least recorded it at 2.1Mbps though, so it still looks great.

Finally got YouTube to upload the ENTIRE video without stopping at 80-90%, and added the link to the original post.

[edit] I just realized how hot Quistis looks in that PC screenshot. LOL
    Last edited by Cyric; 10-28-2008 at 09:20 AM.

The games I've beaten...

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Just a little warning about Daemon Tools!

I only downloaded what I needed when I did this, so far my anti-virus hasn't noticed anything and nothing seems odd.

Yeah, I always thought the name "Daemon Tools" would cause people not to trust it. It sounds too much like a virus-creation utility. Nonetheless, it isn't, it is a virtual drive emulator.

The games I've beaten...

Hi,

My PC spec:

AMD Athlon X2 3800+
    2GB RAM
    Geforce 7300GT

Why I still getting 8-bit textures failed although I'd applied the v1.2 geforce patch and tick the 8-bit texture fix in the launcher v1.31 ??

Quote Originally Posted by gsan View Post
    Why I still getting 8-bit textures failed although I'd applied the v1.2 geforce patch and tick the 8-bit texture fix in the launcher v1.31 ??
    Ask the guy who made the program. I didn't really look in-depth into it, but for some reason I get the feeling that the launcher works best when the old nVidia patch is NOT installed.

The games I've beaten...

Default Hi

Umm Hi

This is a question to "Cyric" and also and thankyou.
    well thankyou from your advice, and it worked

Now for my question....would it be alright if i "borrowed" ur advice to put into a plain txt file and upload it as part of my....err torrent so that other people that wish to play the game can without all the screwing around getting the game to work, simply by following ur advice?

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Hi Thor1902,

This thread is over a year old, so I'm gonna close it since we'd rather people start new threads if they wish to continue the topic, or if you need to contact someone personally (like in your case), it's better to contact that person directly, for example via PM. Furthermore, I haven't seen Cyric around lately and I think he'd be unlikely to see your post even if the thread stayed open. You'll probably have more luck sending him a PM.