Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mirror's Edge

The PSN Store updated late for some reason, so I just finished playing the demo.

Fantastic. I'm really impressed with it. I'm even more excited for this game than I was before. Training was kind of a pain because those buttons were impossible to identify on my SDTV, but once I had the controls more-or-less figured out, it was loads of fun.

If I can swing it, this is a day 1 buy for me.

@dreddz: I noticed some screen tearing too, but only in the opening cinematic. After that, it was fine.

EDIT: During my second playthrough (I don't know if I've ever bothered with a demo more than once) I noticed some more tearing. I hope they fix that for the final release.
    Last edited by Roto13; 10-31-2008 at 07:20 PM.

I played a Mirror's Edge level in LittleBigPlanet just now which was pretty genius. But yeah, the actual game does look sweet.

I just won this contest and apparently the codes are interchangeable between versions so I used it in my PS3 version. :P Nice.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I dl'd the demo earlier today, played it, and then played it twice more without moving from my seat.

Completely awesome. It's easy to get the hang of, smooth, fast, and absolutely beautiful. Will be getting.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I played the demo. Falls way short but I was never interested or saw the appeal of this game. It does not seem very free...like there is a set course to follow that they blatantly point out to you with the color red. This game might be slightly more interesting if they did away with that and it might after a couple of levels but the demo gives no hint of that and I am not wasting money to find out.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    I played the demo. Falls way short but I was never interested or saw the appeal of this game. It does not seem very free...like there is a set course to follow that they blatantly point out to you with the color red. This game might be slightly more interesting if they did away with that and it might after a couple of levels but the demo gives no hint of that and I am not wasting money to find out.
    My understanding is that you can switch off the red colouring altogether. Likewise it will, as you said, fade slowly as levels go by.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

That is good news at the very least. Doesn't really make me want the game any more or less but merely solves a general complaint about gaming in general XD

Like I said, I never saw the appeal of this game when people first started making a big deal about it and I still don't. Maybe it is that at the core of it all, this is really a platformer and nothing more...like...even more of a platformer than mario considering you just run and jump/slide from point A to point B...I think I am on to something here XD

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Finished it in one sitting. Mind you that sitting was about 5-6.5 hours (with other stuff being done in between). Kinda wish I had waited for my Gamefly rental because cash is a little tight for games this time of year, but totally glad I played it. Ignoring the story (something I do in most games anyway--not that I ignore it, I just don't usually mark a game's story against it) it's very well-done overall. I didn't really like a couple of the 'puzzle' sections early on (particularly when you're trying to think of where to go and people are shooting at you), but a couple of them closer to the end were a lot of fun. Game's at its best when people 'like you' are chasing you through the rooftops. Good stuff.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Went to the mall with my friends yesterday

Someone got Mirror's Edge and we all took turns playing for a bit. I only watched, but I was very very impressed and I am definitely for sure going to get this game. It is pretty looking o:

EDIT:

...and the red showing you where to do didn't seem to take all of the challenge out of it, but I wasn't actually playing, tbh.
    Last edited by Jessweeee♪; 11-16-2008 at 10:00 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I was never too big into the hype myself, it didn't seem like a game that would interest me. Played the intro/tutorial at a game store and it is awesome. Everything is so smooth, I realy enjoyed it, but there's just so many good games on the PS3/DS I have to finish/buy first, I may grab this at a later time though. Definately fun.

I'm kind of peeved at the way alot of professional reviewers were ready to write it off, especially one gametrailers special where 2 of the panelists openly did. Just goes to show, don't judge a game on its trailer, that's idiotic.

Now i'm not one to play FPS. Like, at ALL. But I played the demo of this the other day and I was very very surprised. I loved it! It's a stunningly beautiful game, easy to handle, but not so easy that there is no challenge, the game runs nice and smooth and the concept is very original.

I'm definately gonna buy this when I have money/ time to set aside to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    ...and the red showing you where to do didn't seem to take all of the challenge out of it, but I wasn't actually playing, tbh.
    You can turn this off if you want.

I got the game last week but i've only played a bit so far (playing Valkyria atm).I'm a total noob in FP games but the gameplay in the demo completely sold me.That and the overall visual/audio style of the game.

I keep hearing that the game its too short but i always favored quality over quantity.And some of my all time favorite games were also very short.:/

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

I think it'll be worth giving Valkyria a break for a day. If you can give Mirror's Edge 7 hours of your time (being generous) i'm sure you can clear the main mode and dabble in the time trial a bit.