Thread: larceny?

good evening, miss Tifa's Real Lover(really's Avatar

larceny?

what exactly is larceny? im doing a project and can find no information on it =/ its supposed to be similar yet diffrent from burggerly and theft. i also have to find the levels of severity and punishments for it O_o

can anyone help me out?

I would probably go play video games or have sex (the usual) - Nominus Experse

my mom would be like "ve? yo te dije, el internet no es bueno."

"seriously, my mom tells me "que tu hase en eso el dia entero?" and im like "mami yo toy hablando con people" xD. spanglish, ftw." ~ liz

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Larceny

Basically, it's theft + intention to deprive + transfer of ownership, which is different from theft. Theft works to your benefit; deprivation works against the victim, and it flaunts the newfound title of ownership against the person.

[strike]what do you mean by that? like lets say....you steal a car or a company or something, and now your trying to say that it belongs to you in title?[/strike]
    bad example

ok lets say you wrote a book.... i stole all your written work and published it, is that larceny?

"seriously, my mom tells me "que tu hase en eso el dia entero?" and im like "mami yo toy hablando con people" xD. spanglish, ftw." ~ liz

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Something like that. Simple theft seems to carry the idea that it was done as a spur-of-the-moment idea, or you took something to better your own situation. Larceny seems to give the connotation (according to the Wikipedia page) that you had to:
    A) want to steal it
    B) which implies foreknowledge and a plan
    C) the person who you took it from knows that you took it, and when confronted, you would say that it was yours

So, yes, if I stole a car from my friend, and I told him that the car is mine after he filed a report, that would be larceny.

Of course, in this situation, the insurance on the car, as well as any form of vehicle registration would prove you wrong. Did that help?

EDIT: If you did something like a book, which has no inherent value until published, you're venturing into the realm of intellectual property, which has its own set of rules. Larceny deals with physical things that have value. A car that is purchased for $20k has value. A bunch of words you scribbled into a book does not.

you helped a bunch tavrobel! time to make my video

edittt: hey, can anyone tell me what would be a punishment for a petty and grand larceny?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

The same scale as one would get for a misdemeanor as opposed to a felony. The latter implies more jail time. The former may or may not have jail time, a fine, community service, or such things. This works under the assumption of a first-time violator.

yeahh, i just found that out right now

now my last question is what type of person is more likely to commit larceny? O_o

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

A jerk.

k, well i found out anyways, thanks to you ill probably ace it