Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst Case Scenarios

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

Dancing Chocobo Worst Case Scenarios

This thread is for a few things, but they are all tied together in that they all share the adage of them being utterly terrible. From the power outage when saving data to the game freezing midway through the final boss battle.

The purpose then for this thread is to have anyone voice their opinions as to what the worst case scenario - within a minimally realistic extent - would be in relation to playing video games (based on the overall difficulty of the game itself, your setting, etc...).

My opinion is that the worst case scenario would have to be if you were playing Blaster Master. You had reached Level 8, the end of the darkness, and were battling the final boss, when the power suddenly, brutally, goes out. There's the moan of electronics halting their tasks abruptly, clinging to the fleeing light as it dissolves into shadow, and then there is only silence. Utter shock would have protected you in disbelief, but the shadow before you, taunting, definite, and cruel, has taken any shield and made it mist.

Blaster Master is smurfing hard. No, it's absosmurfinglutely difficult. The difficulty is enough turn one to madness and chaos. So to see all the painful work suddenly erased would be so traumatizing. Even more so by the fact that one could not save their progress. When it was game over, it was over. Back to Level 1.

Worst case scenario? Getting to the final dungeon in Earthbound to find you can't go back. If that were to happen I'd be so pissed. Glad the developers weren't that sadistic.

Oh.

Blog Entries

More to come

there was a picture here

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

Playing some online game against Linda and losing.

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 & 2 was really bad for getting hackers, and it had a whole double save thing which is really bad or something. Anyway, my brother got to like the max level, 200, after it taking him like over a year of playing it non-stop to get there, and he was so over protective over this character that I wasn't allowed to use my character which happened to be on the same memory card online, as knowing me I'd get the card wiped.

I geuss that would be the worst case scenario. If that had ever happened, I think my brother would have actually killed me. I was really annoyed though as I had to start with some new character on a separate memory card when my original was like lvl 124 :{

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Worst case scenario? Getting to the final dungeon in Earthbound to find you can't go back. If that were to happen I'd be so pissed. Glad the developers weren't that sadistic.

Oh.
    Definetly had that issue with Summoner 3.

T_T;

@Mold Anus: Ahoy! Be that Marcus from FFIX?

Dodging lightning 99 times in a row and then messing up would be very annoying....

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Maybe this doesn't seem super bad, but the worst case scenario for me personally is getting up to a certain point in a game, and discovering that you can't beat it as you are, and you can't go back and level or whatever. This happened to me many times playing Final Fantasy 8. I don't know how I managed to screw it up, but I did. I made it all the way to Adel, and then realized I just could not beat her, and had to start the game over. Maybe I acted too quickly and there was a way to go back, I dunno, it was forever ago, but yeah.

So I am always afraid of skullskullskullskull like that happening. Me screwing up somewhere and getting to a boss, not having nearly enough ammo or something and not being able to get more, etc. *panic* Many times my first playthrough of Resident Evil 4 I just baaaaarely scraped by with what I had, after numerous tries.
    --Box Box Box Box

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think my worst case scenario was from DMC1, I finally finished the game on hard mode unlocking Dante Must Die mode and Sparda except at the end of the game, my hand slipped and I started a game on normal mode instead... meaning I can't access any of this stuff until I finish the game on Normal and may even have to beat it again on Hard mode. I still haven't touched the game since.

My other worsT case scenario was finally getting to the last dungeon in Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne. I stopped playing for a bit partly due to frustration and partly due to being busy in my personal life. I took my memory card to my college's gaming club and somehow lost the damn thing. Not only was I not able to finish the game but it was my only PS2 memory card so I lost data on all my games.

I've picked up a new memory card since then but I no longer have the free time or patience to do another run through of SMT:N. Its a good game but damn is it hard... I even got the secret item to unlock the temple and obtain the ultimate Megatama...

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

managing to suffer all the way to the end of Koudelka, to find that you didnt pick an item up so the only ending you can get is 'LOL I KILLED YOU'
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    My other worsT case scenario was finally getting to the last dungeon in Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne. I stopped playing for a bit partly due to frustration and partly due to being busy in my personal life. I took my memory card to my college's gaming club and somehow lost the damn thing. Not only was I not able to finish the game but it was my only PS2 memory card so I lost data on all my games. :(
    Ugh, that happened to me recently. My PS2 was at a friend's house on the other side of the country and I had him send it to me and the memory cards are mysteriously missing. :P I lost everything. There wasn't a whole lot on them, though. Some clear data for Tales of the Abyss and an everything-unlocked save file for Soul Calibur III are the only things I cursed not having. :P

There's also my Tales of Legendia clear data, but that game sucks. xP

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

While we're on the topic of erased/stolen/gone memory cards. Anyone who has ever played Digimon World 2, knows what chore it can be. The game by itself takes about 70 some hours to beat if you know what you're doing. Then there's the post game dungeon Tera Tower, which is 99 Floors of unforgiving hell. With just a small chance to run into a powerful mon. I never got to it. By the time I actually beat the game and built a decent move set, the data was just gone Never touched the game again.

Another worst case scenario is, what if there is a 50 hour long game and near the end there is an uber weapon that you can get only if you didn't open a few boxes near the beginning of the game. But why would someone do something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post

There's also my Tales of Legendia clear data, but that game sucks. xP
    You added that just to irk me didn't you

No, I added that because it was one of the biggest disappointments in video game history. To come off of Tales of Symphonia to find that the next game in the series took so many steps backwards. Terrible. XP

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

What's real fun is when there's a power cut that somehow leads to your console frying. =| That sucked.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just remembered... I tried to play my NES copy of Mega Man 2 only to find that my NES has finally passed on...