Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Do You Name Stuff?

I junctioned your GF ;) BardTard's Avatar

I named my computer Bunnycat cus it's small and cute, like a bunny or a cat. (I usually just end up calling it a stupid piece of crap though) And I call my lover Blainjamin cus his name is just Blaine but it sounds like it's short for something. I'm not that creative though. I'm better at coming up with names for GFs on FF8.

Blog Entries

Everyone called me crazy but i knew i wasnt the only one!!!

My guitar is called stringy, my violin is called squeeky, my keyboard is called buttons, my slinky is called slinkers.
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 11-04-2008 at 10:05 AM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

usually it just comes out of random or by combining 2 words that mean something that has to do with what im naming. or sometimes rearranging the letters in named things and naming something of mine with the scrambled name.
    lynx
    beaten final fantasy III,IV,VI,VII,VIII,IX,X,X-2,XII,mystic quest, tacitcs, tactics advanced, crystal chronicles.

you only live once but if you do it right once is enough

my FF amvs

Recognized Member smittenkitten's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator

Names just seem to come to me. My computer is called Terabithia, my username smittenkitten just came to me as well. I didn't really think about it at all it just came to me sort of. Just random in a way. ^__^

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Usually literary or other sorts of allusions. For instance, my harddrives are named thusly:

Penitent Tangent
    Ascendant Justice
    Guilty Spark
    Keyes
    Johnson
    Silent Cartographer

For a video I made for a collaborative channel on YouTube I named a few inanimate objects. I used the technique I use naming my pokemon to name these objects. It usually involves a long-winded derivation but still relating to the object. For instance:

I named my stereo Belle, because my stereo produces sound, sound is measured in Decibels, shortened it to Bel, Belle

I named my Bed Christian, because it is the place of Rapid Eye Movement REM, REM is also a band, my favourite song by them is Losing My Religion, and my religion is Christianity.

Also I named my watch Lucky because in the past I've had the worst luck with watches, but my current one has lasted me ages!

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Usually I leave inanimate objects with their stock names. The rare exemption to this is Highway 18, my media storage drive. Originally I named a bunch of my partitions with names from Half-Life 2, like Nova Prospekt, Black Mesa East and Highway 17. But then I lost everything when my mbr got f'ed so Highway 17 was reborn as Highway 18, and it's really the only one that's stuck.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I name stuff with words that sound awesome.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've a tendency to abbrieviate things, so computer becomes "com" ect ect. I also have a weird throwback to childhood which I have NEVER grown out of mainly because 99% of people who hear it laugh call it cute then adopt it which is I call any and all washing up liquids "Fairy-up liquid" it's really just as a kid I skipped saying "fairy washing up liquid" and adopted the fairy-up which everyone loves me for. Oh and speaking of friends nicknames, I call a friend Jailbait even though she's not actually Jailbait because walking down a street with her looks so dodgy

I name all of my instruments. My harp is called Ceridigwyn, or Ceri. My piano is called Guinivere and my oboe is called Alistair.

I started with Welsh names, but I'm in a family of 11 so I ran out quite quickly - they were all taken!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I named my dog in Fable II Jerome.
    I called mine Toto.
    You hold my heart in your manly hands I wanna feel the throb of your handsome gland. I wanna hold you tight like a newborn kitten, against my flesh like a cashmere mitten. Tickly tick, I'm makin' skin bump heaven and all the way down it's lookin' cleanly shaven. Prickety pricks, it's stubble on stubble I better slow down or I'm in real trouble. Want you, touch you, feel you, taste you! Knick knack whacky whack 'till I see the man stew. spin you around let me see that hole! I'm a tunnelin' in a like a short hair mole. Once I'm inside I'm gonna leave a trace, half in there and half on that face! One finger, two finger, there fingers gone! Mano a mano I love you John!

I just name things based kinda on what they do, with what sounds good. Well, except for my laptop, I guess. I named that based on anime (Motoko)

My favorite is the name I gave the toaster: Poppy

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

My iPod was named by a friend Poddy. I don't name any other inanimate objects. I normally name video game characters after myself, my nickname, my screen name or after friends. Or names I like.

I just name things whatever I want to, no real system

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

For Final Fantasy, I like to give namesakes to the characters, from previous titles of course. As for other things, I like to create elaborate names that may never have been thought of before or portmanteaus.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

In a game I'll ussually stay pretty zealous to the true name if already pre-named.