Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Eyes on Plays Final Fantasy V!

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

check out the chocobo forest, rotos

I did. :P Now I'm about to enter that desert place.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

woohoo, screens.

So I checked out Walse and managed to find the shiva materia magicite summon monster before the meteor even hits (or maybe before I checked out the meteor, whatever), so I quick saved (yay emu) and tried her out. Four monks managed to take down all her soldiers, but the lack of magic defense and healing mechanisms made me decide to hold off for another day.

So *after* the meteor, I crawled up the top of walse tower, saw the val castle guard, cursed that I couldn't get the mimic crystal shard, and got out of there before gogo showed up, and explored castle Exdeath I mean walse, ran into Jackanapes (wait, isn't that my cat?), reloaded, stayed out of the basement and tried out shiva again.

Two monks (to counter the soldiers), a summoner (for the three extra magic stat points), and a mystic knight (woooooooooooooohooooooooo) and I whipped her purple little butt (well, not really whipped, but my summoners can summon her now!).

So now, I'm about to take on the fierce wild dogs of the karnak continent, and hopefully learn ????.

Captions:
    Camping on top of a castle is no problem for our heroes.
    Didn't Bartz say he was afraid of heights? Is that ah. . . bile I see?
    Oh syldra! Such fierce beauty (that's the second time I tried to type fierse)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Screw emus, my sp is smaller than a PSP. So easy to play in those boring idle moments in class, . I'm kind of taking my time, btw, heading through Walse canal.
    m'pow

I'm in Galuf's world now and I just beat Gilgamesh and got blown away by the barrier. :P Balls and Faris are Ninjas with Equip Swords, Lenna mastered White Mage and is now a Blue Mage with White Magic, and Galuf mastered Black Mage and is now a Red Mage with 30% MP+ because I don't have any level 4 black magic anyway. Once I get the -aga spells, I'll probably switch his second skill to Black Magic until he masters Red Mage.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I tried starting this on my PS3 but it kept freezing up during saves so I had to start again on my PS1. I'm on the North Mountain trying to find some Dragon Grass...I think.

Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Leeza, I'm so sorry.

I kinda want to try and write a walkthrough. I think I could do where I am by memory, but I'm not sure.

Spoilers, I guess?

Chapter 1: OMG SKY FIRE.
    Welcome to FF5. My first Final Fantasy and one of my most dearly beloved, this game is a bit. . . let's say "unlike any other ff you've ever played". And yet, it is exactly the essence of the series, do you dig me?

We start off in a wonderful land called "World 1". After the opening scene, where a great big chunk of rock ruins your morning by landing a short distance off, our hero (and herobird) set off to investigate. You notice the beautiful (in terms of 16px tall ladies, she's definitely a hottie, trust me) lady lying unconscious (from the blast I'm sure) while two imps are trying to wambezzle her. You, a hero, can't allow this to happen, so strut in there and SLAY THOSE IMPS (you don't have a choice).

Two hits (one per imp) and you're golden.

The little lady wakes up, introduces herself, and then you get to NAME THAT CHARACTER.
    Because I'm boring, my guy will be Bartz, the default name. Bartz and Lenna hear a strange humanoid sound, find a dude, etc etc, blah blah, but make sure before you leave the area, head to the bottom right of the screen, find the place you can walk through the bushes, go over, down as far as you can and hit A/X whatever. FENIX DOWN!

Now, head back to your chocobo, hop on and take off wherever the wind leads you. It will just happen to lead you back to Lenna and Galuf. Quelle coincidence! Save them (again), fight a few more imps (they're really not any harder than they were, plus you should level up by now), then decide as a group to go down into a little hole in the ground.

Bartz, the perceptive boy he is, notices a funny looking spring nearby. FREE HEALS. Take this chance to level up a bit because free healing is always a good thing. You can settle for simply getting Galuf and Lenna up to level 2, or maybe even taking everybody to level 3, just until you get bored, basically. Continue through the cave, get the leather clothing or whatever in the chest, watch a pirate throw a switch, throw the switch yourself (all the cave!switches in this game look like skulls. They're pretty easy to spot) and head through another cave room (you can see a neat little cutscene if you look out the hole in the wall), then, OMG pirates.

Run around, but there's nowhere to go but on the ship, so voila, enjoy the storyline.

After all's said and done, your party, now stronger one Faris, decides to go to the Wind Shrine together. On the boat, a pirate will offer to sail you, but it's just a waste a time. Politely decline, then immediately start heading toward the northwest (up left). You should reach a quaint little town called Tule. Head to the leftmost house and tell the lady you're a beginner (lie if you have to!) and go in and get some free tips, tricks, but most importantly, free items. This game is really stingy with its items (have you checked the price of phoenix down? Don't even think about selling the one we found. You won't get a Life spell for a looooong time). Anyways, leave the house (talk to the lady to exit), and wander around the town. Pick up whatever armor and swords you can afford (x3 longswords if you levelled galuf and lenna up long enough to get the Gil for it), plus armor, and check the barrels at the top of the town (by the big mansion) for a couple of items. Whatever they are. There might be some other items in here, but heck if I can remember. AREN"T YOU SATISFIED WITH WHAT YOU HAVE?

Anyways, head out of town and hop back on the ship, this time, head to the northeast (up right) corner. There will be a little forest with a building in the middle. It's a long ways up there, but you really can't get lost if you stick to the north mountains' edge). Save and head inside!

Inside, over to the left, it turns out Lenna knows these guys (well, they followed her father there, too!), so talk to one of the scholarly red robed guys to get some free items, then check out the urn down in the front of the room. FREE HEALS. You know what that means, I wager.

Time to gain some free levels! Run around on the first floor and give Faris some much-needed luv, heal when necessary(srsly, don't bother with potions unless you're like completely dead or something) When you're bored of this (or level 90), head over to the right side of the first floor and move on to the next floor. There's two options here, you can head to the third floor immediately, or you can get an item. Which do you choose? (item). Get that, then head to the third floor anyways! Then the fourth floor! But what's that? Some pigeon is blocking the way to the crystal! (walk past him to the other side of the fourth floor and go through the door for item justice).

Check your HP and your equipments 'cause it's BOSS TIME.

Wingraptor:
    Is not hard. Don't even bother healing, just slap him with those longswords. Srsly.

After you stick a fork in him, go through the door he was blocking. OH SNAP scene time!

Afterwards, you will gain your first job classes (YAY). These are really what make ff5 so special. You may recognize them from a number of other final fantasies, but some would argue this game presents them in their pure unadulterated form. (yes). Anyways, Lenna points you to a little warp platform, so go ahead and use it. Then run back inside the temple and heal again just 'cause it's free and we want to spend our gil on magic, not inns.

Chapter 2: OMG YAY JOBS! HO NOES CRYSTAL
    So you have six brand new spankin' jobs. Here's a run-down.

Knight: Knights are pretty much as noble as you've always imagined. They'll block for near-death characters, have pretty good HP, strength, and defense, and use swords (duh).

Monk: Monks are like, your ultimate damage dealer in the early-game. seriously. Check out Lenna as a monk, you'll thank me. These guys have excellent HP and attack, plus they have free counters!

Thief: Thieves can dash (useless for GBA version unless you like to play it hardcore), see through holes in walls (think back to the Beginner's House), steal (what?) and they're pretty fast. Unfortunately, they're rather weak as far as hitting goes, but who cares! They're thieves!

White Mage: These kids are sweet and innocent looking, plus they're always ready to heal your booboos. Just don't expect to do much damage dealing with them.

Black Mage: Black mages will do some modest damage dealing, but you might find yourself a little lacking in MP to do much good with them. And you're not going to win on physical attacks either.

Blue Mage: Blue mages are pretty special, but ultimately useless at this juncture.

So which of these classes do you pick?

The game is flexible enough that you could really pick any conceivable party that you want. I'm serious. But some make more sense than others. Some suggestions:

You may not have very useful magic potential right now, but go ahead and learn Black and White level 1 with a couple characters apiece while the enemies are easy. You won't want to waste time on them later when they'll be more useful.

If you have time, get to level 2 Blue Mage with somebody to get the passive ability Learning. (blue mages automatically have this ability btw) You won't run into any blue magic for a little while, but it will be more useful to set Learning as a secondary ability and forget about it then have to traipse around for four blue mages, or just one and hope the spell hits them specifically.

Thieves are okay, but they lose a lot of their power in the GBA with Auto-dash. There's really not that much to steal, but you're welcome to try (more potions never hurt, I guess).

Knights are kinda ehhhh compared to monks in damage dealing at this point.

Monks monks monks. They will get about 1.5 times the number of hits in, after counters, and since each hit is actually two hits, you effectively double your odds at getting a critical hit (although you also double your odds at getting a Miss, too, I guess). They learn barehanded first (learn this and give it to your mages! never will they be weaklings again!), then the ability Chakra (self healing/poisona), then the passive ability Counter. It takes a while to get to Counter, so don't worry about it too much yet, that's a lot of ABP to get.

But yes, I really love Monks early on, and I think you will too. Especially Lenna. Especially Galuf (TRIVIA: the first time I played this game, I played him as a monk so long I forgot that that wasn't actually his day-to-day clothing)

Anyways, head back to the town of Tule on your pirateship, Faris will head to the Pub with his crew, you should go buy some magic, now that you have mages. The shopkeepers are very sweet and won't let you buy spells more than once. And you only need to buy a spell once for ANYBODY to be able to use it! Awesome!

If you didn't get a full accoutrement of armor/weapons, stock up now (surely you have enough gil?), head to the pub and sit in the chair in front of the stage and push A/X/whatever to talk to the dancer. She'll come and ahem, service you, but more importantly, she leaves the path clear to the piano. Go play it! YAY you're terrible at the piano >:{

Anyways, head upstairs and check out Faris. Bartz and Galuf will act preeeeeeeeeeetty goofy. Are they into dudes or something? Anyways, he declines joining you for the time, so leave the Pub and head into that mansion.

Lenna knows this guy too (man she gets around), but he just won't give you that key you need, but you can stay the night anyways! Anyways, blah blah blah, cut-scenes, and you finangle that key!

In the morning, save, then weigh anchor!

If you noticed a little weird place on the eastern mountain wall, where it kinda looks like a manmade wall across the water, that's exactly where we're headed (it's a little southwest of the Wind Shrine).

Make Lenna and Faris monks (the monsters only attack females, and the free counters/hp will serve you well here), then Galuf and Bartz can have white or black magic, whatever they desire. Hopefully you bought some Bolt/lightning magic.

There will be a cute little scene while Bartz opens the Torma Canal, and then watch out! You'll be attacked onship. I'd grind a little bit in the first vertical stretch of canal, but you probably get bored of that before I do. Anyways, when you're sick of fighting, go ahead and go further.

KARLABOS!
    If you didn't get too tired of fighting too quick, karlabos will be pretty simple. Heal, attack, Lightning him until death. He probably has an item to steal too -.-

But wait! That's not all! You'll go through some SWIRLING events (ahahaha) and wind up in a very strange place. How are you gonna get to the next crystal if you're shipwrecked?!

[and now I'm bored of writing. Tune in next time!]

Final Fantasy V has issues on the PS3, too?

*sigh*

PS3 backwards compatibility sucks.

Still grinding when I have free time. Been too busy to play of late.

Currently at level 30-ish with most all jobs mastered before the fire crystal. But it doesn't count since I'm cheating with frame skip, but hey it's funny as all heck when I walk up to a boss and one shot em. =P
    This space intentionally left blank.

Why would you even want to do that :P

It only took me like 2-ish hours between classes and work. I started out just wanting to master 1 or 2 fast then moving on, then I got OCD and decided to just master em all. XD

Everyone went Master Berserker first for Berserk, so I don't need to have them attack, they just do it by themselves. XD

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

that's how jason maxed his levels out. Wrote a macro to make the characters move and just had them berserk.

crits of walkthrough so far? ^_^_^

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

xD Very amusing walk through.

I was gonna wait for my next update, but I made it to the 2nd world. Got kidnapped, got slingslotted across the map, danced for money, avoided drowning, followed a rat, cosplayed a rat, kicked a dog, climbed a mountain. Also remembering that the Bone Mail has a really negative effect at the worst possible time. Then we got to watch ExDeath drown a turtle. We avoided drowning again. Then we got to a big boat. And Archer one hit killed Gilgamesh, that must be in Heaven's Feel because I don't remember that part
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm skipping ahead because I want to get to where I'm currently playing xD Karnak spoilers!

-----------------------Chapter Something: Fireland!
    Once you get off the rollercoaster that is the meteorite warp (no one told these people that once they hit the ground, those things are called meteorites -.-, also that sounds like a good dance name!), you'll find yourself on a WHOLE OTHER CONTINENT! Yay explore time!

First, equip yourself with some Blue Mages, or people with Learning. The Wild Knakks in these woods will use a silent, usually 0 dmg attack on you, it's unlabelled, and on the whole, very creepy. This is ???. It does damage based on the difference between your max HP and current HP. Make sure you learn that (because it's best to learn blue magic on the way rather than going back for more later). If you run into Zuus, make sure you steal steal steal from them for Elixirs! (it might take a while)

There really isn't a lot of choice in the way you go. If you go West of the mountain range, then south, you'll see a wall, a ship, a castle, and a town. Save and head into the town.

There really isn't a lot of choice here either, but once you've satisfied yourself talking to townspeople and cursing that the magic shop is closed, go ahead and try to buy a weapon. I dare you.

Scene time! Not a very interesting one, but you get to meet a very influential man!

CID YAY!

Anyways, now that you're in the ineffable Karnak castle, take some time to learn the layout a bit(or you'll wish you had, later!), gossip about Her Majesty, Queen Karnak, then get out of that creepy firepit and go buy yourself some weapons and magic (yay level 2 spells! Finally, we are freed from the tyranny that are Phoenix Downs!)

Now, they expect you to go save the world again, so save again (you didn't really need to earlier I guess, it's just good practice) and head on the boat.

Cid gives you the skinny, gotta stop the engine, save the crystal, yada yada yada. How dull. Anyways, head in the door, through the hallway, through the door, and down the stairs!

Okay, so this ship is like, a cyberpuke's wet dream. Or maybe it's just kinda like something out of 2300AD in Chrono trigger, idk. There are some new enemies here, nothing really especial as far as stealing goes. Explore all the doors in the first room, saving the one at the very top right for last. You'll get like an elixir, some mithril glove or whatever.

Head for the top right door. You'll find yourself in a claustrophobia inducing elevator, so hit the red lever and move on up. This next room is pretty straightforward, just get the chest to the right and head to the door at the left. Another elevator! Yay!

This room has a conveyor belt. But you can't get anywhere on it, so just go up the ladderstairs instead and head through the airducts. You can't really go anywhere but onwards, so head onwards, and go through the doorway you'll come out by. It's an elevator! YAY.

anyways, you'll find yourself facing FOUR shafts. 'Ware now.
    Take the second shaft from the right (third from the left). This drops you down in front of a chest with thieves gloves! YES! If only we had had these with those Zuus! Anyways, take the conveyor belt (this was the first one we saw) back into the next section, then head back through the airducts alllllllllllll the way back to the four air ducts.

Go through the second from the left (third from the right) duct. This drops you into the other side of the big room, the part you avoided by ductwalking. Go up the stairs on the right, first, flip the switch and get a Moonring Blade. (This is a good place to have a Thief in the party, if you hadn't noticed).

Go back down the stairs, and head through the door on the left. You're presented with two options: Conveyor belt door will lead you back to the four air shafts, so let's not go that way. Go through the door by the stairs! Save point! So save.

Now we get to the puzzle rooms.

Head up, 'cause it's the only way you get to, and hit the red switch to move the platform. Go ahead and hit the one up there at the top of the screen, then walk down and to the left and get that one there. Now you can walk across.

On the otherside, hit the switch on the left to bring the bridge back after you, then hit the right one to extend down. If you need to get back to the save point, stand on the little one and hit the switch there, but otherwise, stand on the big square one and hit that switch.

You should be able to walk across to the Elixir box, then head back. If you need to back, stand on the square platform and hit the switch there, else heal and go through the door.

CUT SCENE! Fire boss! (if you weren't a pyrophobe before this game, you should be by now. . .)

Liquidflame:
    In hand form, Ice won't hurt him.
    In tornado form, he will cast fire on himself to heal for ~300 hp.
    In man form, he is a stud casts nasty Blaze on you for massive damages.

Set up:
    Three Black mages (if your characters have the ability to cast Level2 Black Magic, make them a summoner instead for the extra magic power). Equip with a frost rod.
    A white mage (if your characters have the ability to cast level2 white magic, make them a monk instead).

Whitey should cast Cura (if you don't have Cura for whatever reason, use two white mages) on everybody every turn.
    Blackey should cast Blizzara (if you don't have blizzara, then use Shiva. If you don't have these, use Frost Rods as an item. If you don't have these, well I guess you're stuck with Blizzard. Your funeral).

Don't waste your MP by casting when he's in hand form, just use physical attacks if anyone doesn't have a Frost Rod equipped, and heal up. He's only got 3000 hp.

Cut scene, and on-wards.

Now, you've got ten minutes. Save first, then practice changing your job classes really fast until you can get them all changed in 30 seconds or less, then use a tent.
    (shoot for lots of physical/magic attack power, Learning ability, and a healer. Blue mages with mithril swords or Black lvl3/White lvl3, monks, knights, Red mages with Counter, whatever you have to use.) Use a tent, or go to the bottom door to use an urn for free healing.

Head into the next room and it's your old prison. Enter the alcove on your right, go through the gate to the top and get a chest for 2000 gil, then go around the top of the room and in the gate close to the door to fight a Gigas for an Elixir. Hurry, because monster battles eat clock time.

In the next room, go to the top left corner to fight for a Ribbon, then to the top right for a Shuriken. Head out through the top door.

Go around this room and out the door at the bottom, quick quick!

Go up the stairs, ignore the doorway.
    If you're feeling panicky and rushed for time, just go straight out down the bottom. If you're feeling pretty good, head up through the doorway on the left and start running and grabbing chests with abandon (they're almost all battles). You'll go down through a doorway cut around outside, then back up through the otherside of the room you were just in (lots of elixirs, and 4000 gil here), then take the doorway (not the stairs) and come out back in the main hall. Go to the doorway, don't go out, but go to the left and fight the Gigas for the spell Esuna (YES!), then to the right and fight for a Lightning Scroll.

Head outside, but wait, that's not all!

Battle!

This isn't your ordinary sergeant and Cur Nakks.

This is IRON CLAW!

He's not too hard, but wait as long as you before you kill him because he uses the legendary Blue Magic Doom Claw.
    (unlike me, I killed him too quickly with almost three minutes left, SHEESH, but I got Aera unlike most of you suckers because you probably didn't fight all the Gigases for the Elixirs >:[ )

Once outside, the castle crumbles and you get three new jobs!
    Beastmaster
    Geomancer
    Ninja

(or according to most people 'one really good one and two skullskullskullskullty ones', but I disagree)

And now, there's a new guy in the shop selling weapons conveniently suited for your new jobs. But more importantly, the explosion took out the wall blocking our way to the Library of the Ancients! yes!

(come back next time for more ff5 walkthrough goodness)

So I just beat the whole little fire place, and accidentally saved over my game and have to redo it. Not like it's a problem since I'm level 33 now. I think I might redo the game though since it's tad boring when you power level that much.