Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTrix View Post
    Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    *psst*

(He hasn't been gaming for that long, believe it or not. xP)
    Sorta. I've been 'gaming' for a long time, but I didn't have any consoles between the NES and the GC :P though I had all the gameboys.

But yeah, part of my answer is because.... well, it's the most recent year, and I could play whatever I wanted that came out in the past :P It's an accumulative experience!

Really, there've just been a bunch of great games this year for me. My tastes are a bit more eclectic than most, particularly involving portable and imported games, so I'm not really going to list my games since few people here would know or care about 'em. So, combining my niche-y favourites with the big-name titles that most people know about makes this year pretty darn strong.

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
    2000 had Vagrant Story, Perfect Dark, Deus Ex, Diablo II, Baldur's Gate II, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, The Longest Journey and a whole heap of other crap I don't really care about but were phenomenally successful like The Sims and Counter-Strike.

I mean, come on.
    You've made a very valid observation that is persuasive. You've changed my viewpoint.

1997...... Final Fantasy 7 (made the FF series explode on the mainstream), the beginning of the Diablo series (served for a long time as one the most addictive forms of digital crack), and Castevania: SOTN (restored the Castlevania series to glory that it had not held since the NES)

Articles
    Blog Entries

I really hated it when GameTrailers had 2007 as #1 on their list of years in gaming - I thought not only is it a lame cliche to put the current year as it, but there was no contest with other ones.

But I almost want to say 2008. GTAIV and MGS4 both blew my mind, within like 2 months of eachother. I've put crazy amounts of time into MGO, like going back to my Counter-Strike days. Resistance 2 promises to be insane. Little Big Planet is really going to change console gaming, and I like it a whole lot. Valkyria Chronicles also seems to be changing the SRPG genre from what I've been hearing. Not to mention the next Red Alert. I'll always remember that some of my favorite games of all time came out this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    I really hated it when GameTrailers had 2007 as #1 on their list of years in gaming - I thought not only is it a lame cliche to put the current year as it, but there was no contest with other ones.

But I almost want to say 2008. GTAIV and MGS4 both blew my mind, within like 2 months of eachother. I've put crazy amounts of time into MGO, like going back to my Counter-Strike days. Resistance 2 promises to be insane. Little Big Planet is really going to change console gaming, and I like it a whole lot. Valkyria Chronicles also seems to be changing the SRPG genre from what I've been hearing. Not to mention the next Red Alert. I'll always remember that some of my favorite games of all time came out this year.
    Most gaming magazines and websites are very bias. They usually list games on their "best games" ever list that sold well and from what ever console they cover most.

I have a gaming magazine from 1996 that list only Nintendo and Sony games on their list of "Best ever". Don't get me wrong, they listed some great games but when you have 40% of the list filled with games from a console that came out 2 years ago, I call foul.

I take "best of" lists with a grain of salt. Unless its one from my friends. They have good tastes in games and list solely on experience/fun factor.

And you made me want to pick up a Playstation 3. Good job

Totally agree on the MGS4 and LittleBigPlanet stuff! But still, my favorite year in gaming is either 1998 or 1999. MGS1, Tony Hawk's Skateboarding, Tenchu 1 or 2 were all awesome.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Orange Box? Supreme Commander? C&C3: Tiberium Wars? Halo 3? Burning Crusade? Call of Duty 4? Assassin's Creed? BioShock? Civ 4: Beyond the Sword? Persona 3? Mass Effect?

2007 was holy skulls.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfApples View Post

Most gaming magazines and websites are very bias. They usually list games on their "best games" ever list that sold well and from what ever console they cover most.

I have a gaming magazine from 1996 that list only Nintendo and Sony games on their list of "Best ever". Don't get me wrong, they listed some great games but when you have 40% of the list filled with games from a console that came out 2 years ago, I call foul.

I take "best of" lists with a grain of salt. Unless its one from my friends. They have good tastes in games and list solely on experience/fun factor.

And you made me want to pick up a Playstation 3. Good job
    Ha, yeah, agree on all that. Since RA3's been confirmed that PS3-development has resumed since I posted that, I guess that makes all the games I listed on that console. Also I've played Fallout 3 before this post and while I don't think I'll have time for it (this year and probably the next at least) it definately deserves to be listed alongside those. Although, I guess this all makes my post ironically exemplar of the bias you mentioned.

Aaaaw nostagia time, guys!

I loved '97. I was only like 6 years old and I remember going to Toys-R-Us on my birthday and buying my first ever playstation

And I discovered FFVII and Klonoa and Rayman etc etc

And I think that might have been the same year that I got my N64 for Christmas as well and I played my first ever Mario game

Happy days