Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Valkyria Chronicles

Default Valkyria Chronicles

This game is made of pure win.

The biggest problems are voice acting, which overall is actually pretty good, just nothing special, and so far the story is pretty basic, but still somewhat entertaining.

The game play, however, is amazing. Its a stratagy RPG, however when you take control of a unit, you move around the field as you would in a game like Call of Duty, you can climb up laters, take cover fire, and such things.

However, if you run into firing range of enemy troops such as Tanks, shocktroops, and scouts, you are going to be peppered with bullets even on your turn. (Same if an enemy runs into your firing range.) However its only against a character in active mode, where you are actually moving around with that character and selecting a target.

I won't get more into details though, as I'll drag on for a while.

The Graphics are also beautiful.

Its the game that made me decide I wanted a PS3, and damn is it worth it. This may actually be one of my favorite games ever.

I want this game SOOOOOOO bad. The demo was great. I'm out in central London tomorrow so should be around enough places that sell it. Hopefully Ill get it then.

As for the graphics. They are great artistically but you need to see them on a HDTV. I watched my friend play the demo on his SDTV and it looked like a PS2 game. Seriously. Good thing I don't settle with any SD crap anymore

I still haven't gotten around to playing the demo. :P It's a nice looking game, and I may or may not be interested in buying it, depending on how the demo is. xP I know there are a lot of other games I'm more interested in getting soon, though. Stupid fall. :P

My friend and I enjoyed the demo on his PS3. He's probably getting this game, but I'm more excited for Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World coming out!

The gameplay was certainly something refreshing, but I've played somewhat similar games in the past that were absolute fail. This game is certainly much better than those.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

What other games have played like Valkeria? Seems extremely unique to me.

Also, one of the soldiers you get in the beginning is Vyse. XD

Yes, Vyse from Arcadia. He's a Shocktrooper. Has the clear eye patch and everything. XD

uhm, Future Tactics: The Uprising.... YouTube - Future Tactics
    it was good gameplay, including being able to destroy ANYTHING, even having hidden items under rocks or houses., but everything else sucked making it just unenjoyable.
    Valkeria Chronicles is similar gameplay, and then some like with enemies attacking while you move, but also with so much more in the other areas.

THE JACKAL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Articles
    Blog Entries

yeah i'm reallly trying to get this game, everything about it, from the new take on SRPG's, having Hitoshi sakimoto compose the score, the beautiful visuals that really remind me of DQVIII, not to mention if it sells, Shining Force IV might become more of a possibility.

I finally played the demo. Not bad, but as awesome as Largo is, I don't think I'd want to play through the whole game.

I smurfING HATE STEALTH BASED MISSIONS!

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

I just did one involving Largo and Vegetables last night. It wasn't *that* bad, though there was a lot of cover.

The one after Botamys is a LOT more annoying. You only have 2 people, one of which moves at less then half speed.

I managed to buy the game today and sat myself through to the third chapter. So far I've just been in tutorials but I'm expecting the game to pick up very soon.

So far the story is setting itself up nicely but it still manages to make me cringe far too often (did you just call me a beetle!?). And why must everybody be called a really stupid name? Why can't there be someone called Jack? Its weird to think that somebody called Jack would be original for these type of games.

I absolutely love the graphics in this game. The cutscenes never fail to make my jaw drop, shame those couldn't be in-game graphics.

The gameplay feel really good and is a lot more strategic than I originally thought. I don't know what these stealth missions are like yet but I really enjoyed hiding in tall grass while playing so I don't think the stealth missions will bother me too much.

Being able to hide in grass and sneak around like that is very fun. But that's nothing like the stealth missions.

You are basically given one path to walk down, and 2 or 3 guys. In the first one you have to do story wise, those two units are scouts. Nothing else. Just two scouts. One with crappy mobility.

The objective is to follow this one path and make it to the other side.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

There are also Mortars being fired after every round. They don't know where you are at first, but if you get spotted by a spotlight they will start landing closer to your position.

I didn't think it was that bad, rather an interesting twist on the gameplay. Only had to restart it once because there was a Shocktrooper in there who was tougher than I anticipated, and he killed Alicia during the initial counter-attack. Got him the 2nd time around, though this was the battle where I discovered that you can save in the middle of the battle and re-load without consequence.

I last played it on the mission following that, though I quit when I used all of my CP on Vyse attacking a Named Sniper who dodged every single time.

Lovin this game in Japanese, since I know most of the actors from other anime. A few of them are perfectly cast, as if the role was created for them. The enemy Commander Maximillian, for example, is voiced almost exactly the same as the anime character 'Zero' or Lelouche from Code Geass... who was also a commander of sorts and prince of an empire. Though I am noticing several differences between the Japanese dialogue and the text on the screen, most of it isn't that important. Just subtle differences. For example, Ellet's 'Writings on the Wall' newspaper does not yet have a name in the Japanese version, at least as far as I've played. She just calls it 'My Newspaper'. I have my theories as to why this is.

Stealth edit: I love my snipers
    Last edited by JKTrix; 11-17-2008 at 05:45 PM.

Snipers almost feel too overpowered. I've leveled mine up to Level 8 and I have no problems doing headshot's which most of the time is a one-hit kill. I just got through the mission in the desert and I had my snipers stand back and literally wreck absolutely everyone on the field and had the rest of my team doing nothing but occupy posts.

Scouts seem pretty useless to be honest. Sure they can run far but you never go beyond where the rest of your team mates are because your pretty much dead meat otherwise. Maybe I haven't delved deep enough into the game to find enough purpose for them yet. It seems like having one engineer, one lancer, a few Shock Troopers and two snipers gets you through almost anything.

Oh and now I've gotten past the tutorial stuff the game just got ten times more awesome. This is probably one of my favourite games this gen (best RPG without question) and one of the best SRPG's I've ever played. No doubt this is this years sleeper hit.