Thread: Monitor problem

Default Monitor problem

Whenever I try to change the resolution to 1024x768 the monitor comes up with the message 'VGA mode not supported'. We had that resolution on our old computer, but although we're using the same monitor it's won't let us change it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 800x600 is terrible >.<
    The messenger is standing at the gate
    Ready to let go
    Ready for the crush
    Too late for whispers
    Too late for the blush
    The past is mercy
    When the future is aglow

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

You could be forcing a too high refresh rate.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

What model is your monitor? What graphics card do you have? What OS are you running?

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I have no idea about the graphics card but the monitor is a proview and my OS is windows xp.
    Ready to let go
    Ready for the crush
    Too late for whispers
    Too late for the blush
    The past is mercy
    When the future is aglow

What is the actual model of the monitor, though? Also, to find out the graphics card just go to My Computer > System Properties > Hardware (tab) > Device Manager, and it should be under Display Adapters.

Also under Display Properties (you can right click on the desktop to access this), make sure that the refresh rate is set appropriately. I think it depends on your monitor, but if it's an LCD it should be alright to set it to 60Hz. You may have to check under the Advanced tab.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I couldn't find anything about the graphics card and I couldn't change the refresh rate >.<
    Ready to let go
    Ready for the crush
    Too late for whispers
    Too late for the blush
    The past is mercy
    When the future is aglow

Well, sorry. There's not much advise I can offer without that kind of information. You could try taking it to a technition or something, good luck.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    You could be forcing a too high refresh rate.
    This.
    You hold my heart in your manly hands I wanna feel the throb of your handsome gland. I wanna hold you tight like a newborn kitten, against my flesh like a cashmere mitten. Tickly tick, I'm makin' skin bump heaven and all the way down it's lookin' cleanly shaven. Prickety pricks, it's stubble on stubble I better slow down or I'm in real trouble. Want you, touch you, feel you, taste you! Knick knack whacky whack 'till I see the man stew. spin you around let me see that hole! I'm a tunnelin' in a like a short hair mole. Once I'm inside I'm gonna leave a trace, half in there and half on that face! One finger, two finger, there fingers gone! Mano a mano I love you John!

in display properties goto settings, hit advanced, in the monitor tab, refresh is in the center. if its 85 or higher turn it down

i have 1024/768 32bit 75 refresh rate
    I like chocolate!! No matter what flavor you get, you can always taste the broken dreams!

~Dead people should stay dead, otherwise whats the point of killing them???

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

It all depends on the monitor. Try 60, then increase it until it stops working.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

This is message from your monitor, not your operating system. You get this message because some LCD monitors may display that message when the monitor is on but not connected to a video port, or when the computer is not producing any video or it might also happen that the video settings in Windows are not supported by the monitor. Try booting to the menu Safe Mode is on, but choose Enable VGA mode, NOT Safe Mode.
    <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thanks for helping out hammythomas. This thread is from back in '08 and we generally don't allow revival of old threads especially to solve a problem someone was having a while ago, but if it's any consolation, I think your tip will still be helpful to people who may be having this problem in the present or in the future.