Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trance

Quote Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sora_lion_heart View Post
    sorry I always seen freya and Quina as females, my mistake
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always considered Quina a female too, because I think s/he can equip an item that says "worn by women"

I forgot which item though
    No, Quina can wear the Lamia's Tiara, which can be worn by Quina and the girls. But the description of the item doesn't say it's an item for women. All the items that say "worn by women" in the description can't be worn by Quina.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by scrumpleberry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    FFIX had a pretty terrible limit system
    Yeah I was never like AW HELL YEAH like I was with the other limits, it was more like oh limit oh yeah let's just get on with it come on hurry up
    I've always been an odd duck cause I genuinely like the Trance system. It was more balanced than some of the other systems. Hell, if Zidane's Dyne skills were not so smurfing broken I would say it was one of the better systems. It would be interesting to see in future games imo

i personaly hate Trance because it doesn't carry over to the next fight when you need it most, instead it would always activate on a chatracter that was like 3rd or 4th up in the fight roster and by time it got to them the fight is over and Trance never got used, not once have i been able to use a Trance in battle bacause of this... every other FF that uses a limit system works and i get to use them except in IX, in IX it always comes too late and never stays...

Blog Entries

I think Square needs to find a system and stick with it...

of all I played...

FF4: None if I remember right...
    FF6: Wasnt it low HP?
    FF7: Cumulative damage(good system)
    FF8: Low hp(another good system)
    FF9: Cumulative damage
    FF10 Cumulative damage
    FF10-2: none...
    FF12: Use mp?(not that great, but mp isnt that useful in this game so its not bad)

What it does...

FF6: Power attack, half savable I guess...
    FF7: Power attack, savable
    FF8: Power attack, half savable
    FF9: Trance system, which makes you stronger over a period of time, not savable
    FF10: Power attack + timing puzzle, savable
    FF12: Power attack + timing puzzle, savable

None of them are the same in both...

instead of a limit system, x-2 had those uber spheres for each of the girls...except they were more like summons than anything else...

Can I get pics of all the chars in trance? I wanna see what they all look like, but my game never zooms right when I get a trance, and it's really frustrating.

i greatly prefered X's timing puzzles as it was fun and had the chance of not working as well as you hoped or working perfectly due to player input, and VII's variety of Limits for each character made it a good system as well... what could have made IX's a better system would be if it were savable like VII, VIII, & X, then it would at least be usable... and yes Limit Systems started with VI, and you could actualy choose how the limit gauges filled for each character in X...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like the Trance system cause it wasn't savable, it not only justified their immense power but allowed a bit of long-term strategy.

Course I'm a bit bias cause I really hate the Limit Break systems. Mostly cause they are over-powered and easily abused. Most of VII's final Limit Breaks (Lv. 3 and 4) lack strategy and are basically "I win" buttons against everything but the optional Weapons. VIII's system is so abusive (technically everything is in this game) that it takes little strategy to keep your party low enough in HP to keep the Limits coming but not have to worry about getting killed like in VI. Oddly enough, X's is probably the most balance except for Yuna and when you factor in the Legendary weapons that turn most of the Overdrives into "I win" buttons again.

XII's... is overrated. I know too many people who rely on the system more than they should especially when by end game with the higher hunts or Espers its probably a more sound strategy to well... use a strategy and reserve your MP for magic buffs and healing than blow it all on a Quickening that might take a 1/8 of the bosses health when you could have taken 1/5 in the same amount of time with a good strategy. :rolleyes2
    Last edited by Wolf Kanno; 03-02-2009 at 08:07 PM. Reason: I need to stop sounding like a "Know-it-all"

Meh it wasnt the best Limit system, but the shining transformations looked cool (and Zidane's Dyne attacks too)

Besides, the game's incredibly easy without them, I mean the strongest boss in the game only has 70k HP :rolleyes2

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I thought that the Limit Break system gave more individuality to the characters. The Trance system, essentially, expanded their defined roles in battle without giving them a chance to show some of their personality like some of the trademark attacks of Cloud and Squall.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

The trance system to me is the only flaw in IX. I would have preferred it to be savable like X's, but it wasn't. It was only a few times that I probably had one activated right at the end of the battle so there wasn't much frustration for me.
    X and VIII IMO had the best use of a limit system.

Amarant - I think his special powers has an all effect.
    It does

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Slanted and Enchanted Shotgunnova's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    I thought that the Limit Break system gave more individuality to the characters. The Trance system, essentially, expanded their defined roles in battle without giving them a chance to show some of their personality like some of the trademark attacks of Cloud and Squall.
    I only see it as giving the illusion of personality, since that's really all there is the FF7/FF8 (and leapfrogging IX, most of the rest) crews besides their aesthetics -- swordsman uses sword attacks, martial artist kickboxes, etc. I'd agree that trances could've been more personalized instead of mere damage techs or effect-givers, but IX's cast already has unique abilities and skillsets, so it seemed like a fair tradeoff considering trances are already marginalized.

red headed monkey dude sir helix's Avatar

I'm going to final fantasy hell
    Not nessasarly, if you sing the hyme of faith, prey to aireth, devote your self to a paladin, tote a large sword, kill your evil sibling, and steal an ostrech and claim its a chocobo, you should be alright XD

This has to be my least favorite limit break of any final fantasy for the reason that it always seems to happen either in a pointless fight or right near the end of a fight then becomes useless. The only point it actually helped me was when Zidane got it in the final boss fight. That was pretty much the only point where trance actually worked to my benefit.
    "Because you are just.... a puppet."