Thread: Star Trek Movie

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Default Star Trek Movie

YouTube - Star Trek 2009 trailer

Okay, so having seen this trailer. Can they make it work? Should they be trying in the first place?

J. J. Abrams makes good television shows and bad movies. He should just stick to the former.

The cast is also terrible.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Like with Batman and James Bond, you suspect a revamp was needed to try and revitalise the film franchise - so credit to them for trying. No idea if the concept they have in mind will pay off though.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Why are they still making this? Can't they invent something new, interesting and original instead of milking something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Nice View Post
    Why are they still making this? Can't they invent something new, interesting and original instead of milking something else?
    You try finding a producer to experiment and find something original. Just like the games industry, publishers and producers just want to make money, and they can't do that if they put their money on something that's original.

This looks like ultimate fail though.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ehhhh.

The original series was so lame and campy I have trouble taking any attempts at a reboot seriously. TNG pretty much takes the cake as far as making a respectable series out of it is concerned. It just makes me think of what happened with the Speed Racer movie... taking something so campy and goofy and trying to make it all super serious. Noooooo thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nice View Post
    You try finding a producer to experiment and find something original. Just like the games industry, publishers and producers just want to make money, and they can't do that if they put their money on something that's original.
    They had to do this at one and time, why not now? Is it because the economy is lagging that they fear a poor investment? Jesus, who had the balls to do anything these days?

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Good or bad, I'll still be seeing it. Although it's going to be a bit difficult to watch Syler as Spock. He sounds so different.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll watch it simply to see how it finally turns out, but nothing in that trailer felt right. In fact, I really wish they hadn't gone with the original uniforms, they were too bright against the starship sets which looked far too clean. I also don't feel too good about the casting based on that trailer, not that it really gave a sense of what the acting or story is about. It was just hard to see those people in those roles when they've been so well established by the original cast for about 40 years. The only thing that gives me some hope at this point is that not only does Leonard Nimoy like the script, he's actually in it.

I don't know anything about Star Trek, but that didn't look too bad. I probably won't see it.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've got high hopes for this one. I the substance matches the style, then it could be just the thing to reinvigorate the franchise and help people to forget the last fifteen years of crummy writing and vacant stories.

The original series is the most famous and iconic, so it's ripe for the rebooting. The characters also work better on the big screen than any of the others would. There's the potential for some genuine awesome here, I'm fairly optimistic that the project's in good hands.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I dunno. The cast members I've seen so far all look like douches in uniform. I will probably see this in theaters, but I'll be skeptical. If I remain pessimistic I'll either be right, or pleasantly surprised. Win/win!

Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post
    I don't know anything about Star Trek, but that didn't look too bad. I probably won't see it.
    Makes perfect sense.

Personally I'm rather optimistic as well. If there's going to be a reboot, I just hope they still adhere to the official timeline. So far it doesn't look bad for that and I'm interested to see Nimoy's part in the movie. I hope it will be a success.

Well the 'next generation' movies went RIGHT downhill after First Contact, so I can see why they're going in this direction, but ... Ehhh I don't know, I'm going to see it anyway but I don't get my hopes up when it comes to movies anymore, it's just a waste of energy. If it's awesome, it will wow me. If it's not, well at least I got out of the house.