Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hey Eoff, do you read?!?

I have the same dilemma as Jack; essays and other school stuff among other things take a lot of time, particularly when you have to read novels for all those literature classes. I only tend to read for leisure in the summer or during Christmas break.

I read all kinds of stuff ranging from fantasy to postmodern novels, and the authors I read come from all around the world. Unfortunately I don't have much time to read thanks to a busy schedule, so I've had to narrow things down to books that my friends have recommended. The most recent novels I've read are Mikko Karppi's Väinämöisen vyö (The Belt of Väinämöinen), Peter S. Beagle's The Last Unicorn, Isabel Allende's Zorro, Lauren Weisberger's The Devil Wears Prada, and Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o's The River Between.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Charles Bukowski - Ham On Rye
    Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game
    Orson Scott Card - Speaker for the Dead
    Victor Hugo - Les Miserables
    Anthony Kiedis - Scar Tissue
    Chuck Palahniuk - Choke
    Chuck Palahniuk - Fight Club
    Chuck Palahniuk - Invisible Monsters
    Anne Rice - Interview With The Vampire
    Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughter-house Five

Ender's Game is my favorite book ever, with Speaker for the Dead as a close second, but I can't stand reading any other books written by Card. He does not strike me as a good author, and I think he only had breakthroughs with these two books.

I'm currently reading When Rabbit Howls. I've never been a fan of biographies, but this one is definitely different. I don't know what to think of it.

Also, I'm a huge fan of Palahniuk.

There's a lot of books I should read that I just haven't. I have a giant list, but I procrastinate.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

When Rabbit Howls looks fantastic, it's on my list to buy.

I just purchased The End, but it hasn't been delivered to me yet. ;;

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The way its written confuses me a little bit. I really don't know if I love it or if I hate it. I want to read about the personalities, but its weird. I'm halfway through and I want to quit.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hurry Down Sunshine is a bit like that. It's about a father's experience with his daughter suddenly becoming insane. It's really hard for me to read, and I keep quitting, but the writing is incredible and I know it's worth reading if I can just break through.

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Anything by Stephen King, JK Rowling, Derek Landy, Brian Jacques, Chris Paolini, ARR Robers, Michael Gerber, Karen Travis or Tolkein and im away
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

There's some books on your list I've been wanting to read. I've heard World War Z is great, but that's just because my boyfriend and his friends love zombies.

Yeah, I like reading. Just finished The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and now I'm gonna read Wuthering Heights.. which is gonna be interesting.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I do less reading for leisure than I'd like.

I am currently reading Angels and Demons. Before that I read the Dexter series, before that I read World War Z, before that the Hannibal Series, before that I don't remember.
    Oh, did I mention I'm awesome?

I read quite a lot, mainly fantasy, but I'll read just about anything really. Katharine Kerr is my favourite author.

Unfortunately, I've been reading less and less lately. It's so sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Quin is wrong and LALA is right.

I've been reading a lot more recently having read about a book a month since June. Which to some that probably isn't much, but to others that might be a lot.

2008 Reads:
    Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
    Dry by Augusten Burroughs
    Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
    The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger by Stephen King
    The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King
    The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands by Stephen King
    The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass by Stephen King
    The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King
    The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah by Stephen King

Current Read:
    The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower by Stephen King

Up Next:
    Lamb by Christopher Moore
    Running With the Demon by Terry Brooks
    Lord Foul's Bane by Stephen R. Donaldson

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

By no means did I enjoy all these books, but here are my recent reads of new books:

Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins
    The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood
    The Road by Cormac Mccarthy
    Towelhead by Alicia Erian
    Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
    My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
    Twilight "Saga" By Stephanie Meyer

I also just finished up reading Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice for like the 20th time.

Out of the books I listed, I loved The Road the best. Gruesome, but so powerful.

My tastes in books kinda range all over the place for me. More than genre, I have to like the writing style. And there has to be some sort of connection with the book. It doesn't have to be right away, but books I have an instant liking of, I usually end up loving. I love David Sedaris, but I dislike Augusten Burroughs. I'm in love with The Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion, but I can't stand The Wheel of Time series. I generally dislike classics and I'm more of a fan of contemporary work, but Jane Austen is one of my favorite authors ever. I read everything from fantasy to post-apocalyptic to chick lit. The only genre I really avoid is thrillers and mystery. Can't stand that stuff. That's why I won't go anywhere near Stephen King.

The latest book I'm reading is The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon. I'm 2 pages into it and I know I'm gonna love it. The writing is very... fluid. My eyes just drink them in.

I don't read as much as I would like to and have only finished about five or six books in the last couple of months. It's sad, really, considering how much I used to read.

I'm currently reading Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer to see what the big deal about it is. I'm actually sort of enjoying it, but I won't admit that anywhere but in this thread. There is a lot of potential in the series as a whole but the author does tend to make a lot of 'mistakes' that I don't approve of.

I'm also a big fan of R.A. Salvatore and I'm working on The Lone Drow simultaneously to Eclipse.

I tend to read more high fantasy or dark fantasy rather than sci-fi or non-fiction, although I have read my fair share of both. I'm also waiting for the second book of the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. Other than that, I don't really have anything else on my list of planned reading.

Blog Entries

I read a fai bit. Mostly Terry Pratchett and Niel Gaiman. With other bits of crap thrown in for good measure.
    You hold my heart in your manly hands I wanna feel the throb of your handsome gland. I wanna hold you tight like a newborn kitten, against my flesh like a cashmere mitten. Tickly tick, I'm makin' skin bump heaven and all the way down it's lookin' cleanly shaven. Prickety pricks, it's stubble on stubble I better slow down or I'm in real trouble. Want you, touch you, feel you, taste you! Knick knack whacky whack 'till I see the man stew. spin you around let me see that hole! I'm a tunnelin' in a like a short hair mole. Once I'm inside I'm gonna leave a trace, half in there and half on that face! One finger, two finger, there fingers gone! Mano a mano I love you John!