Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Valkyrie Profile

Default Valkyrie Profile

So I'm playing VP for the PSX and I'm falling in love with this game. I mean maybe I'm being sorta biased, but it seems almost perfect to me.

Anyway, that aside, I was thinking, as soon as I beat this one, I'll pick up Slimera and sometime in this life, grab a PSP and play Lenneth.

So eoff, what/how do you think/feel about this game?

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Past the rather lengthy intro (which some don't like).

I feel the game is ABSOLUTELY, perfect.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really like it, I only wish there was a scene skip so I wouldn't have to sit through the lengthly cutscenes if I want to replay the game. I mean they were nice the first time and all, but...

The VP series is one of the more creative games of tri Ace, you should definitely try Silmeria, it's very different, but still good.

One of the few great PSX JRPGs. Great graphics, fun gameplay, innovative design that didn't feel tacky, unique story telling etc. The voice acting sucks, as is to be expected from a Tri-ace game and some cutscenes go on a bit to long but that's about all I can fault it for.

Silmeria was awful though and this new DS installment looks even worse. They should have just left it alone.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought the voice acting was very good for a PS1 game. It was certainly better than say, Star Ocean 2's...

Star Ocean 2's voice acting is about as bad as you can get before you start approaching Chaos Wars territory. That VP's voice acting isn't quite as bad isn't saying much.

Almost every spoken line in VP sounded stiff and unnatural. That's not really excused just because other games had bad voice acting at the time.
    Last edited by Karellen; 11-26-2008 at 01:49 PM.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Arngrim's voice actor is a woman.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have mix feelings regarding this game. I never played it when it originally came out and I feel this fuels my feelings more so. I really didn't like VP. I love the battle system and trying out the different character's was loads of fun. Graphically it was impressive and is still quite impressive even today. Beyond that, I didn't care for the game. The concept was neat but I didn't care for the execution and the story felt flat to me cause of that. I feel had I played it back when it came out I would have appreciated it more.

I only kept playing cause it was a traditional Tri-Ace title which to me means it has excellent gameplay but nothing else is really noteworthy. Also, the VA work in VP is far worse than SO2's but mostly cause SO2 doesn't have as many story scenes with full voice overs. I enjoy Tri-Ace's work but VP just didn't do it for me. Though its still fun to battle Lenneth and Freya in SO3

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> VP is my top one all time fav videogame ever..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Karellen

Almost every spoken line in VP sounded stiff and unnatural. That's not really excused just because other games had bad voice acting at the time.
    You think so? I thought it sounded convincing enough; all the voices fit the characters well (with some exceptions), etc etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowy

Arngrim's voice actor is a woman.
    Maddie Blaustein played Arngrim, Lawfer, and Lezard. Quite a talented Voice Actor/Actress.

I too fell in love with that game on the PSX.

It's a gem.
    Lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky me again! I hardly knew I should use me feet again!

What do you have to say for yourself?

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Also, the VA work in VP is far worse than SO2's but mostly cause SO2 doesn't have as many story scenes with full voice overs.
    I haven't played the original release of Valkyrie Profile, but I don't know how they have anything worse than "Cwade has advance forward!" xD

Anyway I the voice acting is great in Lenneth and Silmeria, I think.

But yea the games are great. You gotta love Tri-Ace post game dungeons. For nothing else, at least in Silmeria, you got to make teams that should be physically impossible xD.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Different tastes I presume. I think part of the problem is that VP is very serious and dark so the cheesy VA only cheapens the experience whereas SO2 is more comical and lighthearted so the bad VA work makes it more funny and charming.

Btw, as far as I know, Lenneth for the PSP has the exact same VA work as the original except for the new CG cutscenes. Cause its the version I played and if that is the "new VA work" then I do not want to hear the original if Lenneth is considered an improvement.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It has the exact same voice acting.

I demand more talk of VP.
    Lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky me again! I hardly knew I should use me feet again!

What do you have to say for yourself?