View Poll Results: Final Fantasy Adventure or Sword of Mana?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Final Fantasy Adventure!

9 52.94%
  • Sword of Mana!

8 47.06%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy Adventure vs. Sword of Mana

Blog Entries

Default Final Fantasy Adventure vs. Sword of Mana

So, I wish to play the first Seiken Densetsu game. But, which version should I play? Should I play the remade Sword of Mana, or the original Gameboy version called Final Fantasy Adventure? I'm not aware of the differences between the two, besides that Sword of Mana replaces some things with series conventions that appeared from the time of Final Fantasy Adventure's release, like Cannon Travel, as opposed to Final Fantasy's Chocobo.

Which version should I play? :o

Edit: Oh, and Final Fantasy Adventure was called Mystic Quest in Europe, if I'm not mistaken.
    Last edited by KentaRawr!; 11-25-2008 at 12:08 AM.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I haven't played the Sword of Mana version, but I always enjoyed the original Final Fantasy Adventure version.

*debates taking it out an playing it...*
    Figaro Castle

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet View Post
    I haven't played the Sword of Mana version, but I always enjoyed the original Final Fantasy Adventure version.

*debates taking it out an playing it...*
    Well, I've played quite a bit of Sword of Mana, but it was quite a while ago, too. But, based on what I remember of Sword of Mana, and the little of Final Fantasy Adventure I've gotten to play, Sword of Mana really changes the story quite a lot (and for the better, in my opinion), but is less of a gameplay experience than it should be.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

They are extremely different. Final Fantasy Adventure was clearly attempting to be a rip off of the original Legend of Zelda. Even each room in the dungeons are structured VERY like the original Zelda.

Sword of Mana, on the other hand, is very visually based on Legend of Mana . . . which, frankly, is a bit too cartoony and cutesy for me. It's a great game, but it marks the bridge into the "World of Mana" series of inferrior Mana games.

I really like the both of them. But they feel like two completely different games with similar plot points.

Blog Entries

Well, I beat Final Fantasy Adventure. It was like The Legend of Zelda + Final Fantasy, really. >_> I really liked the story towards the end, but now I need to play Dawn of Mana to see if they incorporate Final Fantasy Adventure's Tree of Mana explanation. If not, I am sad. So sad.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

This thread motivated me to pull out my old Final Fantasy Adventure cart and give it a whirl. I played for a bit last night and just made it to Wendel. I forgot how much fun the game is.
    Figaro Castle

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yay for double posts.

I've arrived back at Glaive and just beat the Chimera in the castle and am looking for Dark Lord now. More people should play this game. It's a blast!
    Figaro Castle

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet View Post
    Yay for double posts.

I've arrived back at Glaive and just beat the Chimera in the castle and am looking for Dark Lord now. More people should play this game. It's a blast!
    I agree. While its GBA counterpart (which I'm playing now) improves on various things such as the music, contains and massive edits to the story, the gameplay that made the first so fun is pretty much gone, which is pretty disappointing.

Edit: By the way, how are you leveling up your stats? I always raised the lowest stat while I was playing it, and I seemed to get by pretty fine. I kinda wish I raised my Will more often, though.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

FFA is fun to see the origin of a fantastic game series . . . but I might prefer Sword of Mana.

As for Dawn of Mana, everyone hates it except me. I love it. There is certainly room for improvment (no Flammie, no towns to visit/shop in/etc) . . . but . . . the music and the graphics and the story are amazing. The gameplay takes a bit to get used to, but once you do, it's awesome.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I picked up Sword of Mana for $10 over break and am on my second playthrough now. It's definitely a lot different than Final Fantasy Adventure but it's just as fun.
    Figaro Castle

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I REALLY want to play the updated graphics version of FFA which only came out for Japanese cell phones. Grrr!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Emulator?
    Figaro Castle

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Unfortunately no one has yet uploaded the colored (great, now I sound like my grandma) version yet. At least so far as I can google.

Argh.

Over at ZeldaClassic, someone has built a "tileset" for the game-creation software using a colorized version of FFA, I'm trying to convince him to build the whole FFA game in it.

Blog Entries

Pay him to do it!

I personally Love SoM. Simply because it pulls you so deep into the game, You actually feel for the characters pain and sorrow and you WANT to kick the butt of the bad guy(s) . The other thing I like about it, Is you can play as either the male or the female, and even though the stories tie together , They are both sorta different.
    "I know some "little girls" who can kick your butt!" -Ritz
    Kentucky Firaga Chocobo!